I once was a Biker. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: I once was a Biker.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I still own my Guzzi and Aprilia, though I haven't ridden either for a few years due to my hands going numb within a few minutes.
    Not ready to sell either yet, but am aware it is a definite possibility that I may not ride again.
    I was also once a biker and would love to own a Guzzi or Aprillia. (BIG nudge .. wink .. wink, if you ever sell either PLEASE let me know, promise to look after them and put them to bed every night ) I have owned many bikes and my all time favorites have to be my Guzzi Le Mans and many years later at the top of my list my Yamaha FJ1200. The Yamie was just so very good at everything in spite of it's weight. Handled well and went well and toured like a dream machine. My FIL had the Aprillia with the Suzuki 1000 V2 motor, I loved that bike ... he sold it to some other guy ...
    I will be a biker soon again, just biding my time for the right (non Jap) bike to come along
    Last edited by Dave Faddel; 1 Week Ago at 06:47 PM.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    My FIL had the Aprillia with the Suzuki 1000 V2 motor,
    Surely, you mean the Rotax motor??
    He should be tied over a barrel and have unspeakable things done to him if he had a Suz motor in the Ape!
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Kawa Kl 250
    Suzuki TL 125
    Montessa 349 Cota
    Suzuki RV90
    Moto Guzzi SP 1000
    BMW R1150RT
    BMW K1200S
    Kymco Grand Dink
    BMW R1200GS
    BMW R1200R

Still a biker
    Last edited by Stranger; 1 Week Ago at 08:51 AM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (Sold)

I basically ride everyday. Rain or Shine, Wind or no wind. Onroad and Offroad. Commute and for fun.
    I love it. If for some reason I can't ride for a few days I become miserable.
    Last edited by Nox; 1 Week Ago at 03:25 PM.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK
    Previous:
    Jeep Grand Cherokee WK 3.0 CRD
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    I was also once a biker and would love to own a Guzzi or Aprillia. (BIG nudge .. wink .. wink, if you ever sell either PLEASE let me know, promise to look after them and put them to bed every night ) I have owned many bikes and my all time favorites have to be my Guzzi Le Mans and many years later at the top of my list my Yamaha FJ1200. The Yamie was just so very good at everything in spite of it's weight. Handled well and went well and toured like a dream machine. My FIL had the Aprillia with the Suzuki 1000 V2 motor, I loved that bike ... he sold it to some other guy ...
    I will be a biker soon again, just biding my time for the right (non Jap) bike to come along
    Dave journey started on a Yammie ....

RZ50cc did 50km per day just to school and back
    10 days before my 18th birthday I got taken out, spent 3rd term matric in hospital ....
    Used my sister's scooter - could clamp the crutches between my knees while riding ....
    Bought a 200cc Suzuki - with side bars, so I could tie the crutches to the bike. Only had it a few months, when the Suzie started giving problems ...
    Build up the scraps of the RZ50 and used it until I got money together for another bike
    Honda 550 Four K gave me good service !! Rode this until a friend was killed on his bike, next day I sold EVERYTHING bike related.
    About 10 years later I bought a Kymco scooter to commute to work. Actually was a nice bike, apart from useless brakes ... Sold it to sponsor further studies.
    1999 I started working in Cape Town, commuting from Bellville ... Bought a Honda 400cc Project Big One. This baby really gave me some excellent service.
    And then the itch started for a bike with ABS and easier access to parts .... And so I bought my first BMW 650 GS ..... Dave at Auto Atlantic hounded me to join a breakfast run, eventually we did, and our lives have never been the same again !!!!! Two months later we did our first trip with the club to Sutherland. Two-up the 650 was docile, but it got us there, and opened up a new world of travel .... Next trip was to Plettenberg Bay ....
    And then one of the guys in the club upgraded from his 1100RT, and the pieces of the puzzle fell together .... and the Green Machine was ours 30 000km in a single year, including a tour from Cape Town to St Lucia.
    In 2008 we upgraded to the 1200RT. Probably one of the best touring bikes !!
    By 2009 we had a 4x4 and the bike was not used often enough ..... Absolute sin to not use such a beautiful machine .....
    downgraded to a 650GS, purely for the odd commute .....

Over the last 26 years there have always been a scooter in the garage as well ....

Biker to the core.

at the moment I am spending lots of time on two wheels ... but the type without an internal combustion engine ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    harley softail nightrain custom
    I've never really like HD's, but I must admit, that is a nice looking chopper 😎
    Yamaha Vmax 1700
    Ducati Diavel Cromo
    Triumph Explorer 1200
    Mercedes SLK 350
    Mercedes GLC 250

N ou se gat raak lekker lam na n klomp kms. Kom dit ooit reg?

Quote Originally Posted by j9x View Post
    N ou se gat raak lekker lam na n klomp kms. Kom dit ooit reg?
    Trek die sit plek oor met 'n skaap vel. Dit werk baie goed as mens ver ry.
    1993 Samurai. 2004 Jeep TJ Sport. V8 Lexus VVTi.

Commute Benoni - Sandton - Benoni, every day, come rain or shine.

Been doing it for 7 years. Must say, I am worried, the way people drive is getting ridiculous. Unfortunately many 'weekend warriors' on bikes are the worst offenders putting other bikers at risk. Their idiotic riding in the right emergency lane on the highways at high speed, pushing traffic into where any seasoned rider is lane-splitting, is really getting to me. Just because they are not skilled to lane-split properly they think the yellow lane is their ticket to safe commuting. Very dangerous in that yellow lane, wish they understood.

Must admit, I'm happy to climb into the Treg on the weekend.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    In my heart I am still a biker. But it is time to move on. Been there done that. Now it is the 4x4 thing that needs money to be spend on. But the memories and the bike trips will always be there. And they were good memories.
    Wag tot 'n stil Sondagoggend as daardie ouens op 'n breakfast run naby jou huis verby ry en jy daardie geluid hoor. 😇

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WillemPieter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Dave journey started on a Yammie ....

RZ50cc did 50km per day just to school and back
    10 days before my 18th birthday I got taken out, spent 3rd term matric in hospital ....
    Used my sister's scooter - could clamp the crutches between my knees while riding ....
    Bought a 200cc Suzuki - with side bars, so I could tie the crutches to the bike. Only had it a few months, when the Suzie started giving problems ...
    Build up the scraps of the RZ50 and used it until I got money together for another bike
    Honda 550 Four K gave me good service !! Rode this until a friend was killed on his bike, next day I sold EVERYTHING bike related.
    About 10 years later I bought a Kymco scooter to commute to work. Actually was a nice bike, apart from useless brakes ... Sold it to sponsor further studies.
    1999 I started working in Cape Town, commuting from Bellville ... Bought a Honda 400cc Project Big One. This baby really gave me some excellent service.
    And then the itch started for a bike with ABS and easier access to parts .... And so I bought my first BMW 650 GS ..... Dave at Auto Atlantic hounded me to join a breakfast run, eventually we did, and our lives have never been the same again !!!!! Two months later we did our first trip with the club to Sutherland. Two-up the 650 was docile, but it got us there, and opened up a new world of travel .... Next trip was to Plettenberg Bay ....
    And then one of the guys in the club upgraded from his 1100RT, and the pieces of the puzzle fell together .... and the Green Machine was ours 30 000km in a single year, including a tour from Cape Town to St Lucia.
    In 2008 we upgraded to the 1200RT. Probably one of the best touring bikes !!
    By 2009 we had a 4x4 and the bike was not used often enough ..... Absolute sin to not use such a beautiful machine .....
    downgraded to a 650GS, purely for the odd commute .....

Over the last 26 years there have always been a scooter in the garage as well ....

Biker to the core.

at the moment I am spending lots of time on two wheels ... but the type without an internal combustion engine ....
    First two lines are a duplicate except for RZ50 becomes a Honda SS50 (with 72cc kit to make it slightly competitive) Wiped out in the third term of matric during exams. Bike written off. Bought a 105cc Honda Benly in 1976 for R600.00 including licence, registration, helmet and jacket .. Still have it today, on the road and licenced. Looking for the right bike again, non Jap and preferably Italian

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3