Tyre Lifetime and Replacement - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tyre Lifetime and Replacement

Bande plek wou nie my band met 10 000km regmaak toe Ů klip hom in die middel gesteek het nie.

Ek het gesÍ mushroom plug asb en ek vat dit op my as iets gebeur...50 000km later trek ek hom af sonder enige probleme verder.

:-) If twt will not repair 7yo tyre they will ##### themselves if I rock up there with my 19yo tyres. Wrote one off the other day, the rubber valve stem failed. Waiting for new set GY Adventures.
    '89 LR 110 V8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Good year wrangles. Have one set of Grabbers that give probleme. Other set fine. Never had problemes with wrangles. Replacing the Grabbers with Wranglers now.

I always find lifetime warranties sneaky . The warranty is valid for the life of a product. If the product breaks it has reached the end of its life so no warranty....

Well I took the plunge and ordered 5 Goodyear Wrangler Adventures! Now I have to ask should I put them on Boost alloys or stick with steelies?

See info underneath. Like someone advised me afterwards, who used to tow caravan to the Cape every December, you replace them before you hook up for the fifth trip. I don't know if I'd go that drastic but I've surely learnt how to check for cracks! Problem is that I'd have to replace the Jeep's tires before going down to Port O'Call in December...

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Please enlighten us.

How old was the tyre? At least six years, it was was on when I bought the caravan
    How many k's on the tyre? Less than ten thousand k's
    What make was the tyre? CV2000
    On what vehicle was the tyre? Caravan
    What was the tyre pressure? 3 bar
    What repairs had been done to the tyre? None
    Which part of the vehicle was the tyre on? Caravan, Gepsey Romany single axle
    What was the road conditions? N12 freeway past Alberton
    What was the ambient temperatures? Summer morning 5am, probably 15 degrees
    What was the load placed on the tyre? Fully loaded caravan, probably 600 kg per wheel.
    Who did the repair to the tyre? No one
    How did they repair the tyre? Nil

We can all learn from your misfortune.

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Apart from the dangers to yourself and other road users, insurance assessors might notice that the tyres are beyond the age limit and then expect $$$$$$$.

I agree with those who say it is better to buy new ones rather than take a chance.

I recently put new tyres on my trailer, winced but paid up as they were 7 years old. Tyre place showed me the cracks I did not notice.

Once it looks like this...

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Learned the hard way.....

Notwithstanding how good the tyre looks, if it's older than five years, let it go. Perhaps if you drive around town, don't carry heavy loads and drive slowly, you can get away with an older tyre.

I lost 4 BFG's MT on my last Namibia trip pulling my Kavango. Two were lost on tar roads. That's with a TMPS in place so pressure and temp was monitored all the way.

BFG looked at two of tyres and said, yes, tread was no problem but sorry, to expect the tyres to pull the caravan plus the weight of the cruiser was too much for a 7 year old tyre.

Who thought up the 5 year mark for tyres. Some tyres stay in storage sometimes for up to one year so that would mean i would only have a warranty of 4 years...

I don't think it was thought up as much as it was learned through expensive painful experiences..

JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Thanks for this thread. Have two Goodyear Wranglers in the rear of the Isuzu, unused and have been there since 2001. They still look and feel new but I dont think I can trust them anymore. Always carry two spares. If you get a flat and place the spare on you no longer have a spare.

Mercenaries never die , they just go to hell to regroup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2