Mirror less

Thread: Mirror less

Default Mirror less

Anyone ditched their DSLR gear for mirrorless?

Is so what have your experiences been.

What did you ditch and what did you get?
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

Default Re: Mirror less

I heard that you should always carry a spare battery.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Those dirhams burning a hole in your pocket, bud?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Been shooting mirrorless since 2012, started off with an Olympus OMD-EM-5.
    I came from the 4/3rds format, an E-3 which I used for my underwater stuff - very happy with the results, I just wanted a smaller camera.

Just yesterday I upgraded my camera, bought an OLY OMD EM-1 MK II.
    Still busy poking around in the menus, lots of new stuff so no pics to show yet.

As for the format I have no issues, it is small, light and very portable which suits me a I hike a lot.
    I have had no issues with battery life, but depending on where you travel to and charging facilities available an extra or two will not go amiss.

One reason that I have stuck with Olympus is the weatherproofing - I have used my cameras in the pouring rain to no ill effect.
    Obviously with the lenses that are weatheproof...........

Lots of EM-5 images here - https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympu...-thread.73848/

And EM-1 MKII stuff here - https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympu...-thread.87944/

Some of my random images from the EM5:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Night sky ii_2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	454142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_6120351.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	454144

Name:	_6080697.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	454143 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_7021423.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	454145

Name:	_7031559.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	454146 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_6241174.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	454147
    Last edited by AndyT; 2017/07/16 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added info
    Safe Diving

Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Anyone ditched their DSLR gear for mirrorless?

Is so what have your experiences been.

What did you ditch and what did you get?
    I predominantly use film - medium and large format. However, it's always a great idea to have a digital camera close by :-)
    I used to shoot a Nikon DF - predominantly because I have a lovely array of compact, well-built, small manual-focus lenses.
    Some of these, like the Nikkor AI-s 28mm f/2.8 and the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 are unbeaten by the ugly large plastic modern lenses that Nikon makes.

I had a number of high-end Olympus Four Thirds SHG lenses also, so I decided to ditch Nikon and buy an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk.II in January this year - I had one of the first in the country, courtesy of Kameraz Rosebank.

It's been a nice journey. It doesn't have anywhere near the colour fidelity or dynamic range of the Nikon DF, but resolution (sharpness) is decidedly higher. The camera's overall performance (speed) is incredible though - much better than any DSLR I've had (and this includes a speed demon like the Nikon D4).

The video quality is truly incredible - hand-held video looks like it was taken with a professional gimbal mount, etc.

There are many "looks" that you can't get with mirrorless - but my big film cameras fill that cap for me. For everything else, it's really great.

A note on battery life: With the Mk.II, it's close to a good DSLR, and much better than the earlier Olympus mirrorless cameras, or any other in fact. But always keep a spare handy :-) The Electronic viewfinder - which is really quite good now, but nowhere near a ground-glass viewfinder in good light - sucks a lot of power.

But for: compactness, really really good and tiny lenses that don't break the bank, video, and ultra-high speed (60FPS RAW if you want!) it's tough to beat.

Some of my work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dawidloubser/
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

Jeepers Dawid you have a really awesome gallery there !!!

Nice to see another Oly user around, not too many of us ............
    Safe Diving

Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Mate of mine is a pro photographer (not the wedding kind). He has switched all his gear over to mirror-less and shoots Fuji. I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss it, so shout if you want me to hook you up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Jeepers Dawid you have a really awesome gallery there !!!

Nice to see another Oly user around, not too many of us ............
    Likewise for your stunning underwater photography! I've followed you on flickr :-)
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

Dawid thank you for sharing your gallery..you have an eye sensitive to composision and tonality, your work excudes thoughtfulness and considered approaches to subjects. Lovely work Sir.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Dawid thank you for sharing your gallery..you have an eye sensitive to composision and tonality, your work excudes thoughtfulness and considered approaches to subjects. Lovely work Sir.
    Thank you, Riaan!
    I am also really enjoying browsing through your sumptuous landscape photography gallery right now...

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    Mate of mine is a pro photographer (not the wedding kind). He has switched all his gear over to mirror-less and shoots Fuji. I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss it, so shout if you want me to hook you up.

Might take you up on the offer as I am contemplating Fuji route, but it will be a transition over time I think. Seriously contemplating to get me a mirrorless to start playing with. Only concern is when you start what brand to go for. Its like Nikon / Canon. when decide you pretty much stuck with the brand. it is rather expensive exercise to decide a year down the line, but rather should have gone for instance Sony route.

Must say I am very impressed with the Fuji I checked out at ORMS the other day. Just cant make up the mind.
    O▮▮▮▮▮O

Quote Originally Posted by johan65 View Post
    Might take you up on the offer as I am contemplating Fuji route, but it will be a transition over time I think. Seriously contemplating to get me a mirrorless to start playing with. Only concern is when you start what brand to go for. Its like Nikon / Canon. when decide you pretty much stuck with the brand. it is rather expensive exercise to decide a year down the line, but rather should have gone for instance Sony route.

Must say I am very impressed with the Fuji I checked out at ORMS the other day. Just cant make up the mind.
    My understanding is that Sony has left the South African market completely, so that makes it easier :-)
    In terms of high-performance, complete, and not-priced-through-the-roof system, you really only have two options: Fuji and Olympus.

Fuji has slightly better IQ due to the slightly larger sensor. Olympus is slightly faster / more responsive, and has a bigger lens range (across all the different Micro Four Thirds brands).

If you don't mind importing / not having support: Full-frame Sony models have by far the best IQ, but the lens range is very limited, and the good lenses are huge, so you may as well be carrying a DSLR.

Good luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawid Loubser For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Loubser View Post
    I predominantly use film - medium and large format.
    Dawid, where do you have your films developed? Or do you have your own dark room?
    Land Rover Defender Puma
    Metalian Maxi trailer (heaven! )
    BMW 320d

ORRA Z262

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie2 View Post
    Dawid, where do you have your films developed? Or do you have your own dark room?
    I develop and print myself in the darkroom, yes. I also develop film for other people... give me a shout if you are interested.

I don't think you'll find too many people left who know what they're doing with black and white film :-) For colour, I am fortunate enough to live close to the only proper film dev house left in Johannesburg, so I've never bothered doing colour myself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawid Loubser For This Useful Post: