Camping without a fridge? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Camping without a fridge?

One major tip I can give you:

Get all your meat vacuum packed at the butcher. The last thing you want is something defrosting and leaking all over everything else.

About 10 years ago, wife and I went away for 7 days, no fridge. we had two cooler boxes. We took an old blanket which we dampened (slightly wet, not dripping) and lined the whole cooler with that. One had all the frozen meat (pre-frozen) and packed underneath ice-blocks. The other had our bread, long life milk, general groceries etc. It lasted 6 days in the camping situation which wasn't too bad. You just need to limit the amount of time the fridge is opened, pay attention to the order you pack things in - last in, first out.
    The outdoors life for me, thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e...lzFbXUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
    Toyota Land Cruiser HJ47
    ...and a VW Citi Golf when I can't afford petrol for the toys

Quote Originally Posted by Hans van zyl View Post
    I used these for years before I got a fridge; pack ice in a couple and seal tightly with masking tape. You then use one a day to top up the cooler box.

Cheap and effective.

So much win for this. I have a friend who was a guide on the Orange river. Apparently they pre-froze their vittles, stuffed them in separate polystyrene containers as above (with ice, or some other suitable coolant), marked each one for day of opening, and sealed them with duct tape. Supposedly lasts a week if done correctly. I haven't done it, but it is on my todo for my next trip.

We started with a 70 L Zero 3 way freezer and used a 70 L cooler box as a fridge.
    We bought ice all along our route where we could get and I eventually decided to change my system to 2x70L Zero Deep freezers, as ice was costing too much
    With the new set up we have a 95 L fridge/ freezer and can take enough frozen meat with for up to 5 weeks on the road and cold drinks every night...

Advice for the day when you do have a fridge: keep your drinks cold then you NEVER have to worry about ice. We always enjoy ice cold drinks while often there's someone around suffering without ice for their warm drinks. For meat you have already received excellent advice. Enjoy your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Something along these lines will serve you well. For many years we used this type and a couple of bags of ice and a bag of dishwasher salt willsee you through three days easily. I hear what you say about space but any other option will take up just as much and not be anywhere near as efficient.
    I find this salt idea very interesting and will give it a try. (will test the frozen salty water vs normal water in a bottle).
    For some reason I always thought that salt would speed up the defrosting cycle. Since they sprinkle salt on icy roads in colder parts of the world.. And salt lowers the water's freezing point.

But back to topic, with a decent cooler box 3-4 days is very doable.
    (I have done two molototsi/klein letaba river trips with just coolerboxes and still had ice left after 5 days... Will give it a go again in August..)

I would howver (if space allow), use at least two coolerboxes. Keep the ice in the decent "stay frozen for 5 days" type coolerbox... add ice to the other box as needed.
    Fanus

The Salt trick works well.
    I have used it for years to cool wine in restaurants ice buckets.
    Paul

Wiki says

Fresh water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit but seawater freezes at about 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit , because of the salt in it.

So 0 and minus 2 C
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)

From my experience:

- Either two cooler boxes 1 x Bigger cooler with frozen stuff (at the bottom) then Dairy and F&V on top with ice blocks (salted) or bottles of frozen water
    1 x Cooler with ice cubes only (solid round ones from a Scottsman ice maker is best) for drinks.
    or
    - Cooler and fridge/freezer, Cooler with frozen stuff and ice blocks, the fridge with Dairy, F&V and drinks.

I never drain excess water from my coolers, it only gets replaced with warm outside air, the water is already ice cold so just leave it in. Water is a beter isolator than air.

Personalty I don't like to freeze any "braai meat" it will last for 5 days if vacuum packed, even if its is only laying in ice cold water the last day or two! Braai your meat with bones (Chops, T-Bones and Chicken) first and steak last.

Keep cooler boxes in the shade and covered with a (wet) towel or blanket.

5 Days with 2 cooler boxes is very do-able but you will always have the weight/space issue whether its cooler boxes or fridge/freezers.

If you want the luxury of cold drinks etc. you have to make sacrifices
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2017/07/18 at 10:34 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Just a useful hint that I do with a cooler box. I freeze 10 x2ltr coke bottles with water. Place 5 in my romer cooler box 2 nights before departure to get the box cold. The day of departure I replace the semi frozen bottles with frozen bottles,place an oven rack on top of the new frozen bottles and pack all my frozen stuff into the cooler box,toss cooler box into bakkie. My ice etc stay frozen for over 5days. Conditioning a cooler box or fridge is of vital importance before you leave.

To replace cool drinks that are finished in a cooler box,first toss the warm cool drinks/beers into a a cold bath of water in the shade. At night when temps.are cooler,put them into the cooler box.

To save the cold cooler.box,when you want to take a beer out,ask who else wants ie open once and take out then close lid. This will prevent constant opening and closing the box thus letting in warm.air.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I've been using Techni-ice (or the equivalent) in my ice boxes for many years and swear by it. It lasts much longer than normal ice (lower freeze point) and does not create any water when melting. Can be cut to smaller sizes to fit better.
    Important to vacuum pack meat so that no body water is created since the techni-ice will soak it up and then you might as well throw it away.
    Dry ice is brilliant and if you have access to it, that is what I would go for.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

As students we used to travel to the north of Mozambique every winter for 3 - 4 weeks, mainly to do building work. We just did not take along any provisions that had to be kept cold. Dry rations and some fruit and vegetables. You don't have to have beer and meat every day of your life.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    As students we used to travel to the north of Mozambique every winter for 3 - 4 weeks, mainly to do building work. We just did not take along any provisions that had to be kept cold. Dry rations and some fruit and vegetables. You don't have to have beer and meat every day of your life.
    Every second day?
    Land Rover Defender Puma
    Metalian Maxi trailer (heaven! )
    BMW 320d

ORRA Z262

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie2 View Post
    Every second day?
    Maybe it is an age thing? Old people need more meat?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Find your locals dry ice manufacturer. I use a big coolerbox and add 4kg dry ice it holds 3days,meaning day 3 things will still be cold for the day.

It believe it wil last 4days in winter.You can also find styrofoam boxes there so get a size that fits your cooler for added insulation,if not put carboard on the bottom of your cooler i still do it this way in my one cooler for the beer.So my advice buy a good quality coolerbox,it will be good investment. My weekend camps from friday morning till sunday i only use dry ice amd i have been doing it for years. I doubt anyone can do 7 days.

Also read up on dry ice and its dangers.

Question,if salt water has a lower freezing point than water,thus freezing quicker than water. Then surly it will melt quicker than normal unsalted ice.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Dry ice is costly, and can ice burn items in the freezer if in direct contact. But it does work well.

You don't have to have beer and meat every day of your life. Who says?

If you're only using cooler boxes, try and pre-cool the boxes themselves before packing the frozen meats, etc. Ask someone if you can put your boxes in their cold room overnight before you pack your food, or if the nights are cold enough, just leave the empty cooler boxes outside overnight, and then pack them in the early morning before they start warming up again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wilfwalk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Question,if salt water has a lower freezing point than water,thus freezing quicker than water. Then surly it will melt quicker than normal unsalted ice.
    To my understanding it will take longer to freeze. Zero (fresh water) versus minus 2 degrees C (Salt water). Fresh water rivers will freeze long before the sea.

If you set your fridge to zero it will freeze fresh water but not the salt water. That needs a setting of minus 2. The fresh water will freeze when it hits zero.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2017/07/19 at 04:09 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    To my understanding it will take longer to freeze. Zero (fresh water) versus minus 2 degrees C (Salt water). Fresh water rivers will freeze long before the sea.

If you set your fridge to zero it will freeze fresh water but not the salt water. That needs a setting of minus 2. The fresh water will freeze when it hits zero.
    Okay,but which ice will last longer. I'm assuming salt water ice
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Okay,but which ice will last longer. I'm assuming salt water ice
    All the evidence points that way and certainly my bucket method works, I do it almost every time we have a Braai with mates. they never have to put beers and wine in the fridge, even when they bring them warm.

If it take X joules of energy to freeze salt water then it will take the same amount to convert the "cold to warm"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast