Armed Robbery in Maun - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Armed Robbery in Maun

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    This does put a different spin on the event and indicates that it is more serious than just "petty" theft! Hope the cops get them quick>.
    What are the chances! best bet would be to be prepared for the worst. As they say Africa is a tough country. Just don't be a soft target.

The Delta is wonderful, but in 40+ years of camping and travelling - North America, South America, EU, Asia and Africa - I have been robbed once. In Maun.

Lost a lot of camera equipment and pix of wildlife in the CKGR and Khutse. Both passports gone - one fortunately recovered later. Unfortunately not the one I had entered Botswana on (so a bit of a discussion upon exit). About R50K paid out from insurance and a hassle for the next passport renewal. Didn't even get a curry (don't order steak :-)

I wonder what is the issues re an JPX balistic pepper pistol at the border posts
    https://peppergun.co.za/

Landrover Puma 110, OME - sold
    Imagine Trailvan
    Disco1 V8 - sold
    Disco 4 V8 HSE

It will be interesting to know how it turns out if a visitor shoots a Motswana in Botswana with a pepper pistol. Even if said Motswana is robbing you.

Assuming it is Motswana's doing the robbing.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

When someone points a "real" firearm at you and you raise your pepper gun...only one outcome unfortunately.

The answer for many of the issues raised (double bookings, Mababe Trust issues, litter, bad behavior by SA tourists and crime) might be a "pressure" group made up of members who are regular travelers to Bots. Something along the lines of Drivemoz. We pay a subscription fee, these people then engage with camps and camp managers and Dept of Tourism formally on behalf of SA travelers. Might be a unified voice on some issues.

Just a thought.
    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4x4 LTZ Manual
    2008 Terios 4x4 Off Road - Traded in - What an awesome car!

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by taraleegoosen View Post
    This robbery was at Maun Rest Camp. Not Island Safari Lodge. I heard about it last night. A vehicle was broken into and money and a camera with lenses was stolen. A wallet was found near the lodge (money now missing of course) but all documents, passports etc were there. No one was injured or hurt.

We extensively chatted earlier on a previous thread about robbery in campsites in Botswana. It can happen anywhere in the world. July is the busiest time for self drive in Botswana, and seeing a lot of foreign vehicles in all the lodges is tempting to theives. They are around and they do steal. As above, please be vigiliant and lock away your valuables, lock your cars and follow normal camping ettiquette you would in any other country.
    Trust me, you are very injured and extremely hurt after such an incident. Shouldnt be belittled at all Tarra!!! I'm not saying you are, thats just a statement.
    Last edited by Caracal; 2017/07/17 at 02:42 PM.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

With reference to theft: What is the difference between Kuruman and Maun. This forum must still be informed of an armed robbery on campers or through traveller in Kuruman.

At ons stage Ihaha was the robbing capital on elderly campers. I took out insurande on documents etc, but cancelled it recently. Should reconsider.

Just me: I use "decoys" and bugger the rest suggesting it is not a good thing. Old passport close by. Current one safe palce. Likewise with camera, money etc. Difficult with laptop but "I dont have one" and all evidence of one somewhere stashed.

As for weapons. I was thrown out of Botswana in 1977 when two guys in our group stashed a pistol somewhere in the Land Rover and customs found it. Still have that passport: "Entry not granted/prohibited. For re-entry pse apply at HQ Gaberone" Not a nice experience. The most dangerous weapons in my bakkieis an axe and kettie

Theft will not keep me at home. It is more dangerous here even with my pistol below the bed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Williepiet View Post
    With reference to theft: What is the difference between Kuruman and Maun. This forum must still be informed of an armed robbery on campers or through traveller in Kuruman.
    We are only human and operate on 'perceived' threats especially if we have no first-hand knowledge of a place. We recently travelled from JNB to Kgalagadi. We don't know the area from JNB to Upington so checked the forum - Kuruman seemed to be a place to avoid. We could only create our own impression from the stories we heard here and in other blogs, and imagination can run wild. We decided to drive into Bots via Bray because we felt uncomfortable with staying there overnight. No inconvenience, but we felt better about it. I'm sure logic would say there are very few incidents in Kuruman compared to people travelling through, but we, as 'outsiders', can't know. We have been to Maun several times and feel very comfortable there, so even reading about these incidents we wouldn't perceive the threat to be high and it wouldn't put us off going. We just take the usual precautions. Not totally logical, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul View Post
    With regard to the original post of the robbery in Maun. My dad and Stepmother were the couple involved. From what he told me it was pretty hair raising, 4 guys heavily armed with a pistol machete and bolt cutters, luckily he kept his wits about him. And redirected the bastards out of the tent into the vehicle. Had little cash on them but the camera was a big loss because all of their photos were on there.
    My advice would be to arm up, definitely pepper spray (that works) the NZ couple's spray was out dated and didn't work. Also I would possibly take a fire arm with. I know it's a mission at customs but it can save your life. Then thirdly install a lock from the inside of the tent, when they try to interfere with this it will give you enough warning to let rip with the pepper spray and chamber a round 😎
    I'm sorry to hear of your father and step mothers ordeal.

I have to say though that your suggestion re a fire arm isn't sound. Firstly, hand guns are illegal in Botswana. You would therefore need to bring in a hunting rifle which is illegal to carry in national parks. So best leave the fire arms at home.
    My forum name was Botsboy, then I grew up into RraBots, but Timmo is who I am

2017 Hilux D/C 2.8GD 4x4 "Maun Platkar"
    1999 Patrol 4.2 Fully Equipped - for the slow road...
    A very old V8 Landy Pick Up "seems like a fun project"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TimmoBW For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Trust me, you are very injured and extremely hurt after such an incident. Shouldnt be belittled at all Tarra!!! I'm not saying you are, thats just a statement.
    I meant physically. As there was a firearm present, I just wanted everyone to know that it was not fired.

www.botswanafootprints.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Botswanafootprints
    Camping / National Parks / Lodging / Activities / Safari bookings

We camped for 3 night's at the above mentioned camp in May. We had no problem at all. Tara from Botswana Footprints did our booking. We camped in Rooftop tents and always locked our 4X4'S at night. This might be a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. We all had camera equipment that was out of sight. We even got a taxi ordered through reception at the said Lodge to take 3 of us into Main on the 2nd day. We found that everyone was willing to help if we asked for something. Our taxi driver was very friendly and very knowledgeable. All in all we had a fantastic Maun experience

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PAULA HARLEY For This Useful Post:

Default Armed Robbery in Maun

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmSteve View Post
    The Delta is wonderful, but in 40+ years of camping and travelling - North America, South America, EU, Asia and Africa - I have been robbed once. In Maun.

Lost a lot of camera equipment and pix of wildlife in the CKGR and Khutse. Both passports gone - one fortunately recovered later. Unfortunately not the one I had entered Botswana on (so a bit of a discussion upon exit). About R50K paid out from insurance and a hassle for the next passport renewal. Didn't even get a curry (don't order steak :-)
    When was this?

I'm curious if incidents are escalating.
    Last edited by Zapiture; 2017/07/18 at 10:37 PM.

Zapiture,
    Paj 3.8i GLS SWB
    Solid Rock Sliders
    Bash plates
    Warn 8000lbs
    EFS suspension
    Nissan Hardbody 4x4
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by RraBots View Post
    Firstly, hand guns are illegal in Botswana.
    I always find it odd that perpetrators can somehow find a firearm even though it's illegal but you can't have the same privilege to defend yourself by some legal mechanisms.

Does this kind of policy not only favor criminals? Perhaps another topic all together.

The issue remains, there must be some way that can give you the edge in such an event.

Zapiture,
    Paj 3.8i GLS SWB
    Solid Rock Sliders
    Bash plates
    Warn 8000lbs
    EFS suspension
    Nissan Hardbody 4x4
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Whilst it is very sad that this robbery accrued at Maun Rest Camp. We camped there for two nights from the 19th to the 21st July 17, a week after the incident.
    Security has been beefed up at the camp and I believe an arrest was made of three young men.One had a plastic replica pistol in his possession.

This type of thing can happen anywhere in Africa and could be more violent. I would like to think its a once off accurance in Maun.

As for someones comments about feeling unsafe Island Safari. I think this person had no substance for such a statement. I have camp at Island Safari for 20 years on and off and never have felt any treat for my safety or that of my family.

reading more about robberies in botswana of late ; comparisons with SA ....? : botswana is botswana, SA is SA ; friends of mine were robbed in spain , there are streets in sidney that as a visiting person you will not walk so tells me my friend who lives in oz ;ditto for lisbon or stuttgard for eg - i tell you ; i regard botswana very safe ; been robbed in mozambique by some mongrel machanganas whilst driving my bakkie slowly to the market in vilankulu ; lost my diving bag with most of the expensive diving gear ;never been robbed in botswana ;have followed rules and stayed aware ....; bot , namibia and ktk coming for a long trip in september...hope for the best but will main aware and witty .
    Last edited by Jayefe; 2017/08/07 at 05:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3