Odometer tampered proof - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Odometer tampered proof

AFAIK, most dealers keep a record on the VIN number of work done to a vehicle. We had the same issue on wanting to buy a Jeep, my brother basically bought the vehicle and as things were drawing to a close it came out the vehicle was last serviced at the agents 50 000km in the future. The dealer that serviced it at 150000 km should have a record on the VIN, provided it was serviced at a dealer.

Threatening them with a full page newspaper ad might help as well. Legal costs are expensive, but could be part of the lawsuit against them.

Good luck

I have to service my Ford every year OR every 15k kilometres.
    If you have an extended service motor-plan and the KMs dont go up to what is needed for a service, you will need a service that year anyway.

Also as already said, also go to the place of service and check their records.
    T6 Facelift 2.2 DC 4x4
    RhinoCab Canopy
    OTMecca Bushy
    ----------------------------------------------
    et ego non sum de ovibus

If only 'true' fake kilo's shows on the diagnostic computer could you not have a case where they've replaced the speedo that came from another car?,or is there storage of true kilos in the engine management box ,which bear same question ,was that not exchanged as well?(parts obviously from same model car)
    Last edited by Kelpie; 1 Week Ago at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    Threatening them with a full page newspaper ad might help as well. Legal costs are expensive, but could be part of the lawsuit against them.

Good luck
    Dealer will get high court interdict to protect against such threat and court will make the private guy liable for all legal costs incured.Look at around 100K just to sort out the resulting interdict.Dealer will have legal insurance so will cost him nothing.Think very carefully before making any threats .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Knipe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JRJakkals View Post
    I did take my car to Bosch and a tuning company and both couldn't help me. The ECU software only shows the current(fake) kilos and not real kilos
    Google a bit, many cars nowadays have got chips in the diff and in the gearbox having the real readings, that can be read out by the original diagnostic system of the authorized dealer only. I suppose they do not want to help you in not to become involved in a legal battle.
    Hajo

Landcruiser Prado 3.0 TD Automatic

Someone must have serviced the car between 110,000kms and 160,000 kms. thats the proof.

Swambo's Polo is almost two years old, and the first service was due after 12 months or 15 thousand k's, whichever comes first. It was done at 4800 k's. The 30000 or 24 months service will be due at about 9500 kilometers. Let us say we sell the car in the 25th month with 10000 k's on the clock, the car would have had its 30000 service with 10000 on the clock. It may look suspicious to the uninformed.
    Last edited by Poen; 1 Week Ago at 06:03 PM.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

I am with Poen...although, generally, they write the actual kilos in the book...
    I'fe been RIGHTFULLY called a chop 56 (or there about) times so far (0ne of which does not really count, and two was meant "in a good way", and once by oom Henk!!!).

Woestynbrak, en Ricoffy, huis vriende van my, het my elk een een keer n poephol genoem!!!

So I bought a Nissan Xtrail from a dealer in Centurion and found out from previous owner that Odometer was tampered with kilos was turned back from 160 000 km to 110 000km. I have the service book from previous owner with invoices that shows the last stamp on 150 000km. ...............the km readings on which the services between 110 and 160 kkm was done should be recorded in the service book, AND by the servicing dealer on their Invoices. Get that, that's your proof.

I went see a lawyer and he told me I need more proof(diagnostic report).........Kry vir jou 'n ander lawyer. Sien antwoord bo.

So does somebody know of Vehicle diagnostic tools that I can plug into Xtrail that shows Odometer was tampered with and the true kilometres...........not necessary IMHO. If the electronic odo has been tampered with, it has been tampered with.

I did go to Nissan and they did plug in there Vehicle diagnostic tools but no success...
    .........Hope you get this sorted, man.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Ask the dealership for a printout of the vehicle service history directly from Nissan's database, as well as an HPI check:

How can I check to see if a car has ever had a major insurance claim or if there is an outstanding ISA agreement on it?

"The HPi check is a national vehicle database run by Transunion - the same people that publish the Auto Dealers Digests. It will tell you whether there are any outstanding Instalment Sale Agreements on the car; whether the car has ever had a major insurance claim; been written off; been scrapped; or been stolen; or stolen and recovered. It also logs progressive/sequential dealer inquires where mileages are noted. It will confirm that the engine, chassis and registration numbers are correct as well as the year of first registration.#
    The cost of this check is about R 180 (at time of writing) and available through the AA or throughwww.transunion.co.za "

Those two records should correspond. As has been said above, it is possible that the 150000km service was done ahead of time due to the annual service being due instead, but then all the services before it should also be stamped.
    For going over stuff:
    2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi

Ex:2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi

For going around bendy bits:
    2006 Mazda RX8

For getting dirty:
    2008 KTM 300 XC-W
    2001 Raptor 660 - slightly fiddled with

So I bought a Nissan Xtrail from a dealer in Centurion and found out from previous owner that Odometer was tampered with kilos was turned back from 160 000 km to 110 000km. I have the service book from previous owner with invoices that shows the last stamp on 150 000km.

I went see a lawyer and he told me I need more proof(diagnostic report). So does somebody know of Vehicle diagnostic tools that I can plug into Xtrail that shows Odometer was tampered with and the true kilometers

I did go to Nissan and they did plug in there Vehicle diagnostic tools but no success...

Hmmm. I traded in a vehicle at a dealer... R 45 000 and 187 000 km on the clock, went past the dealer a week later my ex vehicle was standing in the lot all shiny and nice with another R 20 000 on top of the trade in. Wow I thought what did they do to add such a huge amount almost 50 % ? looked at the clock, turned back 60 000 km!! now 127 000 km.
    This was 15 years ago, since then I have only dealt with a dealer once again and double checked service book and clock match.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2