Experts.... how do you qualify as one ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Experts.... how do you qualify as one ?

This thought came up after following another thread where experts and videoclips of experts gave their opinion:

How do you qualify as a 4x4 expert ?

Experience ? (If so how many years would make you one )

Amount of courses attented ( again , how many , by whom, how do you keep updated)

Different fields ( recovery, rock crawling,mud,sand,dunes,snow etc)surely making you an expert in one field does not mean you are in all fields.

Or is it the two tone khaki short with a lot of logos on ? 😊

The example i would like to use is the yuppie with his ten certificates from 12 offroad training centres versus the old kalahari omie who has 40 years of 4x4ing experiences with zero certificates to his name but whom i would rather would do a trip into a remote are with.

What do you guys see and expect in a 4x4 expert ?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bartho For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Experts.... how do you qualify as one ?

When you buy an Amarok you are a certified expert when driving off the showroom floor

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post

What do you guys see and expect in a 4x4 expert ?
    Common sense?

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

In all other fields it's a combination of qualification and peer review.

I can't see this would be very different.

But the two tone shirt and denim shorts with vellies does help establish your base credentials.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

there isn't any real answer for that, or any other expert really.

I stood and watched some 'professional' training happening a few years ago at a local (very easy) trail and didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

When the '4x4 license' was a thing a few years back, a supposedly proper SANS unit standard with a bit of paper attached to it was formulated, but the content is laughable.

there are some very good trainers out there, with a lot of knowledge, and there are some real clowns too.

effectively, I suppose, you need to be knowledgable , informed and experienced.

common sense is important too, and frequently lacking....

Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum variat
    "the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams

those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Apocalypse For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nel FJ View Post
    When you buy an Amarok you are a certified expert when driving off the showroom floor
    No, that makes you an expert on double cabs.
    2014 Milk Bottle D/Cab Auto 4x4
    Too wide, Too low, Too expensive, Too cheating, No reverse

Alex said it.....there is no easy answer to that question.

You will know when the guys around you regard you as the expert, and if you spend enough time in a group, you will very quickly realise who to trust to guide you through difficult places.

When the owner of a seriously modified offroader comes across and ask you to please guide his wife over a ridiculously difficult and dangerous rock, you might start thinking that people regard you as the expert. With that comes a massive responsibility.

If you declare yourself one, chances are bloody good that you are not. It's up to your peers......and even then it's dependent on THEIR expertise and knowledge to even qualify to call you one.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post

You will know when the guys around you regard you as the expert, and if you spend enough time in a group, you will very quickly realise who to trust to guide you through difficult places.

When the owner of a seriously modified offroader comes across and ask you to please guide his wife over a ridiculously difficult and dangerous rock, you might start thinking that people regard you as the expert. With that comes a massive responsibility.

If you declare yourself one, chances are bloody good that you are not. It's up to your peers......and even then it's dependent on THEIR expertise and knowledge to even qualify to call you one.
    There is your expert speaking... One of the guys I would trust to get me through...
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI

I believe myself to be an expert

at being able to differentiate between bull droppings and advice from experience, (yours not mine).

I do however think that testing kinetic straps on bridge supports would be something worth watching (from a safe distance).

I think some courses are well worth doing, not only from a technical aspect but also from looking at what you are prepared to do. You could not for an example get me anywhere near a hi lift jack, because I am a clumsy git. Like has been said, expertise comes from differing sources. Please let me make the right choice when it comes to listening.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

When it comes to modern 4x4's even the experts needsa little guidance.Immagine the omie who is an expert driver in his SFA Hilux moving on to a modern SUV with ESP,TLC,HPI,TC,DSTV and whatever.Reminds me of my mate in Khaudom whomI had to tow about all the way for he did not read the manual how to engage 4wd on his brand new Cherokee.Before this trip he regarded himself an expert.
    Swakopmunder

listen to THIS expert!

Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum variat
    "the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams

those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

Here are some experts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-p_o91f7Y

and they wrecked receivers on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YkhhwxyS_g
    Last edited by Stranger; 2017/06/19 at 03:41 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)

Very true and I saw this clearly demonstrated on a recent thread when a 26 year old threw his weight around and guzzled on about what he has done and his experience. The minute a person HAS to start spewing his experience I a) open the salt b) start thinking how insecure he is c) eventually walk away. Funny thing is a large amount of people fell for it, those who did not were labelled and not kindly.

To me there are also areas of expertise. Yes, there are some on the forum that has experience in more areas than other and also different degrees of expertise in each area. We have a bit of knowledge and T-shirts on a topic that we frequently encounter in our travels, but none in rock crawling, water crossing or mud recoveries for instance.

But thank goodness, my Maker gave me the ability to distinguish who are true experts and who to listen to. Plus age taught me humbleness to realize I know very, very little and must rather focus on opening my ears to learn as much as I can.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

My BIL had to take a big corporate company to court to force them to pay his fees, based on a percentage on the savings he generated for them. He was taken to task when he answered yes to whether he was an expert in his field. His company at that stage was the only one offering this service, and he had been in this field for just over 10 years. Their definition of expert to his his obviously differed - his own lawyer reprimanded him afterwards for claiming to be one.

It's definitely a term to carefully used. I know many who claim to be such, but who are actually closer to ex spurts.
    '16 Iveco Daily 4x4 "Molly"
    '06 D3 V8 "Handsome"
    Ex '76 101FC "Hermit"
    Ex '88 110 tdi "Intethe"

Ex '96 D1 tdi "Pelepele"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nel FJ View Post
    Bwahahahah! You and Roks! What did they do to you when you were younger?
    Ross

Best paragraph I've read all day! Thanks Sakkie
    Ross

With modern vehicles today you almost need an expert on that type of vehicle today........

Had a discussion with a friend regarding his new prado tc that did not switch off totally while playing in the dunes......... the dp of Toyota that was with them stated bluntly that the prado "isn't so hot in the dunes because you cannot disengage it fully unless in low range.... "

I told him about the advise I gained here on the forum and he tried it the next time in the dunes, and it TRANSFORMED his prado in his words....

He went back to Toyota and told the dp how to do it and how the prado did ... the dp's words to him was " he is not supposed to fiddle with the electronics and it could void his warranty............................

So don't look for the expert advise at certain dealerships please ...............

If you have more than 5000 posts you are a expert.

Expert keyboard warrior.
    1993 Samurai. 2004 Jeep TJ Sport. V8 Lexus VVTi.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

Bartho first define "4x4'ing" ....

There is the select few like Sakkie that can drive up a vertical face in a Datsun 1400 and make it look easy.

For most "4x4" might be a weekend camp with a trail or two added ....

For many others a vehicle with a short stick (or 4x4 button) on the long stretches of Namibian gravel roads are a 4x4 trip ... though the function is "needed" for the last 2km at Sossos only ...

Then for another select group the ability to do the near impossible at Atlantis is the end all and be all of 4x4 driving .....

Some are damn good at ONE of these. A few are decent at 2 or maybe 3 of these .... Very few are all rounders, and "experts" in all facets of this game.

then are those with a nack for the mechanical stuff, understanding the forces at play with recoveries .. they MAY be new at driving a 4x4, but they may well have an intuitive feeling for recoveries that some wont gain despite attending cources .... but that is a topic all on its own
    Last edited by ChrisF; 2017/06/19 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Bartho first define "4x4'ing" ....

There is the select few like Sakkie that can drive up a vertical face in a Datsun 1400 and make it look easy.

For most "4x4" might be a weekend camp with a trail or two added ....

For many others a vehicle with a short stick (or 4x4 button) on the long stretches of Namibian gravel roads are a 4x4 trip ... though the function is "needed" for the last 2km at Sossos only ...

Then for another select group the ability to do the near impossible at Atlantis is the end all and be all of 4x4 driving .....

Some are damn good at ONE of these. A few are decent at 2 or maybe 3 of these .... Very few are all rounders, and "experts" in all facets of this game.
    Good points above , 4x4 to go where no backup and spoor is , without damaging your vehicle and the environment , be able to get there and back .................. oh wait , that disqualifies myself and all landy owners .............

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast