Trolling Motor in big duck - Pointers Please!!

Default Trolling Motor in big duck - Pointers Please!!

It's that time of year again...........Katse Time, see here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Trip-with-Pics

We used a Suzumar 390 with 15 Suzuki 4 Stroke last year, worked VERY well, but the thing battled to plane with the 3 of us on at at that altitude.

I'm thinking of taking my bigger skip along, a Unique 540 with 115 Yamaha.

PLEASE give me some advise here, you guys into the boat fishing thing:

1) If trolling for trout there with spinners/Rapalas : Would it be an issue with the bigger outboard, as in noise levels?? Or not really, if you trawl your bait further behind the boat?? This is my main concern - that 15 HP works GREAT in terms of quietness and speed.
    2) If I look at a trolling motor :
    2.1) What size?? They talking about " Pound Thrust".........?? Do I look at that only, or also the power consumption??
    2.2) Which are good makes?? Minn Kota / Watersnake?? Or are they all much of a sameness??
    2.3) Then, another issue..........I've read that a sneaker on the bow is much better than on the transom in windy conditions. Is that REALLY a big issue??
    Thing is, my boat has bow rails etc etc, and I do'nt really want to start modding/welding anything on it to put a sneaker up front.
    3) How long, +- will a , say, 54 Pound sneaker last on a say 105 AH Deep Cycle?? Lets say in normal conditions, not too windy etc etc.

Thanks, all inputs appreciated.

I dont want to start wrong here and throw money after something that wo'nt work..........rather then take the little Suzumar again and live with the low power at altitude. BUT the bigger boat would be very very nice, must say.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Default Re: Trolling Motor in big duck - Pointers Please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    It's that time of year again...........Katse Time, see here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...Trip-with-Pics

We used a Suzumar 390 with 15 Suzuki 4 Stroke last year, worked VERY well, but the thing battled to plane with the 3 of us on at at that altitude.

I'm thinking of taking my bigger skip along, a Unique 540 with 115 Yamaha.

PLEASE give me some advise here, you guys into the boat fishing thing:

1) If trolling for trout there with spinners/Rapalas : Would it be an issue with the bigger outboard, as in noise levels?? Or not really, if you trawl your bait further behind the boat?? This is my main concern - that 15 HP works GREAT in terms of quietness and speed.
    2) If I look at a trolling motor :
    2.1) What size?? They talking about " Pound Thrust".........?? Do I look at that only, or also the power consumption??
    2.2) Which are good makes?? Minn Kota / Watersnake?? Or are they all much of a sameness??
    2.3) Then, another issue..........I've read that a sneaker on the bow is much better than on the transom in windy conditions. Is that REALLY a big issue??
    Thing is, my boat has bow rails etc etc, and I do'nt really want to start modding/welding anything on it to put a sneaker up front.
    3) How long, +- will a , say, 54 Pound sneaker last on a say 105 AH Deep Cycle?? Lets say in normal conditions, not too windy etc etc.

Thanks, all inputs appreciated.

I dont want to start wrong here and throw money after something that wo'nt work..........rather then take the little Suzumar again and live with the low power at altitude. BUT the bigger boat would be very very nice, must say.
    Put the 15 Suzuki on the big boat as a trolling motor ?
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4

If youíre incompetent, you canít know youíre incompetent. . . . The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Put the 15 Suzuki on the big boat as a trolling motor ?
    Thought about that Fluf, but it's gonna be cumbersome. That 115 is fat. And putting the 15 on the transom every time we trawl is gonna be cumbersome.......net laat val ons die ding innie water.

Fluffy............

1) Huge difference between what a measuring tape tells you and the real mccoy. Tight fit, but it's there. The 115's steering rod clears the Suzie with 1 cm.
    2) Never say never
    3) Thanks you just saved me a lot of Viskoppe........!!

......I have a feeling that the smaller outboard wo'nt even make such a huge difference when trawling. But ja, just in case.

O U A BEEG 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170619_113920_resized.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	450693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170619_113935_resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	450700  

It depends entirely on what you want to do but an electric sneaker motor is mostly the way to go.

Watersnake and Motorguide parts etc. are more readily available than other brands.

With most electric trawling motors you can work on using about 1ah per lb of thrust at FULL speed.

I have a Watersnake ETW 44lb motor and at FULL speed, I use 45 amps per hour.
    Your 54lb will then use about 55 amps per hour at FULL speed.
    You will very seldom, if ever use your trawling motor at full tilt and most of the time you're cruising around in "1st gear" and then it's on...off...on...off, the whole time.

I fish the Vaal / Orange rivers off an inflatable and I generally get almost two full days of use before it's time to recharge.

My BIL fishes Sterkies often and his 105ah is good for the entire weekend.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

Thanks Geelvis, appreciated.

I think the current setup with the 15 Suzi as the trawler should so the Katse trick for now. That Unique is'nt a bass boat and never will be - I'd rather put a sneaker on the small Suzumar for weed/reed/grass/bass/etc etc......not on the Unique.

I do'nt even think there'd be a huge difference between trawling with the Yammie or the small 4 stroke, but yes, one never knows.......IF they do'nt take the lure and we only have the big outboard, it's a ballsup.

Will test the theories next weekend, with the big and small outboards.

Just out of interest, my boat is a twin motor deep sea CAT.

I use it to trawl for both Bass and Tiger, very productively. To the point where I have taken 1st, 2nd and 5th in the last five Jozini "Let It Swim" Tiger competitions.

Bass is properley productive with one motor on idle a trawling a lure about 20 - 30 meters out.

I think the fish at places like Jozini and Albert Falls may be more used to boats so we can get away with petrol engines.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2 Days Ago at 08:28 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4

If youíre incompetent, you canít know youíre incompetent. . . . The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.