4x2

Thread: 4x2

Default 4x2

Morning guys.

Bought a Isuzu KB250 D-TEQ 4x2 Double Cab to cope with the growing family. I love the bakkie, but have no experience of driving off-road except on gravel roads, and even that is very rarely.

How capable is my bakkie of the beaten track and where can I learn how to use it to it's full potential? I'm not talking about driving obstacle courses, more sightseeing on holidays and weekend. I have no clue what I can do and what not.

I'm based in the Boland.

Thanks!

Default Re: 4x2

u can ride all dirt/ back roads. avoid loose sand, mud pools.
    do u have diff lock? when u encounter sand, keep the momentum going and engage diff lock. if u have a compressor deflate to around 1 bar
    Pajero Gen2 1996 2.8TDi LWB

You can go pretty far in a KB250 4x2 due to the low rev torque.

That being said, you can also get very stuck once you've gone pretty far...............

We did the whole Wild Coast in 1998 in a 4x2 Nissan Sani TD27 which is a pretty similar vehicle basically.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    Morning guys.

Bought a Isuzu KB250 D-TEQ 4x2 Double Cab to cope with the growing family. I love the bakkie, but have no experience of driving off-road except on gravel roads, and even that is very rarely.

How capable is my bakkie of the beaten track and where can I learn how to use it to it's full potential? I'm not talking about driving obstacle courses, more sightseeing on holidays and weekend. I have no clue what I can do and what not.

I'm based in the Boland.

Thanks!
    You won't believe where my wife and I have driven with my old Mercedes 4x2 car (a 30-year-old 560SEC coupé) without getting stuck.

With your Isuzu bakkie, I would say that anything which you can vaguely call a "gravel road" should not worry you in the least. It's only when you start hitting real mud, or obstacles, that you should think twice. Whenever you drive heavy gravel or sand, remember to deflate your tyres! (and get a small compressor to re-inflate). Not a smooth, or short, gravel road, but serious gravel or sand...

You have a vehicle that can pretty much go anywhere that's not specifically an adventure trail - enjoy!
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

Hunter can tell you. He will be here shortly. Hi Craig
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

It's ALL about the driver.

Even in thick sand you can go pretty far with just the difflock engaged.

On my first ever Botswana trip I had to do most of it in 4x2 (Colt Rodeo 4x4) because with aircon on and 4x4 engaged my engine ran too hot, and this was in seriously thick sand between Savuti and Linyanti.

If your tyres are properly deflated, sand driving is easy provided you adhere to some rules.

Never apply the brakes when stopping. This causes a sand wall buildup before the tyres making it difficult to pull away again. Gradually let the vehicle come to a halt on its own.

Avoid sharp turns (if the tyres are to far deflated they will debead) and because you have no front wheels pulling it will make you lose momentum much faster.

Pull away slowly without spinning the wheels.

That said and which was also pointed out above, the Isuzus have some of the best power to weight ratios I have seen and a lot of grunt at low revs. They make great sand driving vehicles.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I took my old 280DT 4x2 to Moz... think sand with deflated tyres was a breeze... The 1 time I did get stuck in soft sand, I engaged the diff-lock, rocked the bakkie and bit, and cruised out...

They're properly capable... just think before driving... if it looks scary, make sure you've got a recovery plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    You can go pretty far
    , you can also get very stuck once you've gone pretty far...............
    aint that the truth

just avoid the manmade 4x4 axle-twister rocky tracks and you should be fine - just keep the above in mind when you start to get that confident invincible feeling..
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

I'm a very happy 4x2 owner - done Southern Moz numerous times, Sani pass twice, many muddy / snow trips in the KZN Midlands and small back roads / rocky river crossings in the Dusi Valley etc.

You need a sensitive right foot (99% of the time, if you lose traction, ease off for half a second then feed the power back in slowly), a good idea of the right sort of momentum (not speed, momentum), know when to use diff lock and most important, when you are out of your depth and to turn back!

I still truly believe that a 4x2 bakkie with diff lock is actually more versatile than most all wheel drive softroaders. They lack the clearance to even get onto many bad dirt / rocky / sandy tracks and their only real advantage is on wet grass / mud / snow.

Not to mention the fragile low profile tyres they generally come with. At least one can fit a decent set of AT's (I actually had Hankook MT's on my Triton 4x2). I would recommend not going too much larger if you do fit "better" tyres. My Triton handled a change from 245 to 265 70 16 well but after heading up Sani this last weekend in my BT-50 I think that I'll stick to 245 70 16 or risk losing too much gearing on idle in first gear.

Don't be scared to get out there and have fun but ideally go with a friend with a good long tow strap and both take your sense of adventure and sense of humour.
    Last edited by Andrew5336; 2017/06/20 at 09:40 AM.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew5336 For This Useful Post: