Home built camping trailer - work in progress. - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Home built camping trailer - work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    JC,
    Vertel bietjie wat jy doen vir `n lewe want die planne wat jy het en die ontwerpe is nie sommer so so nie..
    Ek is 'n gestremde polisieman wat spesialiseer in feeste en optogte.
    In die laaste drie jaar het ek 24 boeke gepubliseer.
    Stokperdjies is oa metaalwerk, naaldwerk (seile), rekenaars en lees.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jcrous For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNodashi View Post
    I have been pondering about going this route as well lately. Do I understand the statement above correctly: Wit this trailer chassis, I can build boxes to fit onto it as I see fit, i.e. one to act as a mobile canteen, and another open frame type box for transporting stuff like engines, bricks, etc. And another smaller box for fishing trips with a rooftop tent?
    SilverNodashi,

Yes. The trailer is designed by Vtec as a chassis for the the enduser to fit his own box. The license says "kokerbak," referring to a closed box as container. It is not really necessary to get the licence reregistered wrt tara. If I build it so heavy that only one kg remains to the gvm, I may only load 1kg.

I guess my tara will increase to 800kg tops. Then I may still load 500kg. I doubt if I will load so much food and clothing. The water will take some weight.

Take it this way: will the authorities allow a trailer onto which I may not add? What is the purpose of buying it in the first place. I will win this one in court if an official is overeager to prosecute for something that is not an offence.

I design my whole box that I can prove it can be removed by loosening 10 bolts.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

Nice progress

Are u planning on taking it offroad?
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    Nice progress

Are u planning on taking it offroad?
    I am not planning it as full offroad, but as close as possible. I want to go the average trail and ground roads.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

I have made some progress, not showing the electricity panel that I do inbetween. I had to remove the frame onto which the chevron and number plate were riveted. The rear opening door will need the space. I will at a later stage fix the chevron om the rear door, as well as the number plate.

The floor is galvanised plate of 2mm thickness. I want to be able to fix slides on to the floor and therefo I need a rigid floor. The floor's weight is 39 kg. I dont want it to be able to rust, therefore galvanised plate. I fixed the floor to the chassis with sikaflex 552, that have a strength of 10N per square mm. That is strong.

Another view. I have stacked the plate down with enough bricks to ensure that the trailer even have a training excercise to carry weight. When I have completed the box frame, it will be bolted to the chassis, through the floor. That will also give true meaning to the license term "kokerbak." In other words, the box can be removed and therefore I have exactly done what the trailer is licensed for. I will apply a proper sealer between the box and floor to ensure it is waterproof. The whole underside will be treated with polyurethane rubberising.

Identified challenges:
    I will stop when the box is fitted. I will then proceed with the inside and later add the sides and roof. The roof will fit like a cap, wit 20mm sides, that go over the sides to ensure it is waterproof.
    Before I can complete the kitchen, I have to purchase the complete kitchen utensils. That is also the reason why I have started working on the electricity panel. I have to know how big the nose cone must be, or how small it may not be. The nose cone must have a strong floor as it will carry the two batteries. They will be close to 50 kg.
    I want to make the interiour so that it is modules, to ensure flexibility should I later want to do repairs or make changes. I will make use of plywood, and a thin layer of fibreglass.
    I am not going to use ammo crates, as they are too small and way-out too expensive. I prefer to use 5 meat crates, that will fill the whole bottom part of the trailer box, fridge slide compartment excluded.
    The clothing section will not have crates or drawers as it is not my idea. It will have racks and I will stich several tog bags with numbers on. Each person can have a bag, that will be easier to pack. Only the lead couple will have access through the main tent, constantly. The others will be able to place their bags where they are sleaping.
    I am still thinking on my options for the water tank. I have designed the rack for the solar panels. They are four 80W panels. Linked as two foldable sets. Each set are in series, and the two sets are linked in parallel, giving me an optimal input of 36V 5A 320 W, giving optimally 22A to the battery as my controller is a 100V 30A MPPT, or if I only use one set, it is 36V 10A 160W and delivering 11A optimally to the battery.
    The trailer will be 1595 mm high, catering for a Howling Moon rooftop tent, for wich the trailer must be between 1550 and 1600 mm high. The trailer floor is 595 mm above the ground and the box is approximately 2700 liters. I don't know the nose cone size yet. It will be as big as possible, but will be solely for my tools and electricity and maybe some items.
    Last edited by jcrous; 2017/07/29 at 08:37 PM.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

Wow some really impressive work here. Looking forward to see the end product.

If I may ask... how much did the Battery Charger, MPPT Charger and Inverter set you back? I have a 2.4KVA Inverter/MPPT charger that does the work of all of that, but the drawback is that it is for 24 Volts. so 2X12V deep cycle batteries are needed. It can handle 2 x 320 Watt panels.

Good progress there!!!

Do you have the tent yet?
    I would recommend you get the tent first if you have not yet, and test fit it to your trailer before you finnish the box frame.
    You might decide to lower the box or even increase the height, you never know.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Good progress there!!!

Do you have the tent yet?
    I would recommend you get the tent first if you have not yet, and test fit it to your trailer before you finnish the box frame.
    You might decide to lower the box or even increase the height, you never know.
    I am going to purchase the Howling Moon tent. It is designed for trailers between 1500 & 1600 mm high.
    My design is for 1590 mm high.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Cozy35 View Post
    If I may ask... how much did the Battery Charger, MPPT Charger and Inverter set you back? I have a 2.4KVA Inverter/MPPT charger that does the work of all of that, but the drawback is that it is for 24 Volts. so 2X12V deep cycle batteries are needed. It can handle 2 x 320 Watt panels.
    The charger was R2295.00, mppt was R2295.00 an the Inverter I have bought in 2007.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

made the following progress the past week and women's day:

The innitial cutting list took some careful measurements. No mistakes may be made. I don't want to do some joining if some beams are too short.

I follow the basic plan, mostly to measurements. Some work is planned as I progress.

Accuracy is inportant and the work must be 100% 90 degrees at corners. I use my welding table as a guide and clamp the work to it. It ensures that the work stays exact during the welding.

The floor part of the box is here reinforced with corner pieces to prevent warping. Some more will be added, but the side plates will also prevent warping under weight. Th weekest point is at the rear door as there is no place for corner blocks. I will make provision at the bottom, on the exteriour.

The most difficult work on the box was to fit the first uprights perfectly square. Threafter it was a walk in the park. A MIG welder makes life easier, HOWEVER, care was taken toe ensure penetration. A lot of people consentrate on appearance and then there welding comes apart after the time, under stress.

The basic box. I have a lot of grinding to be done on the outside to ensure evenness for the plates. Inside I leave the welding, for strength. Inside corners for doors must also be cleaned up.

Anothe pic, a bit further back, taken after a coffee brake. You can see it is now dark outside.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcrous For This Useful Post:

Now the compartments can be seen. I tack weld a bit before I properly weld everything.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcrous For This Useful Post:

Awsome sterkte daai wa gaan puik lyk

My plan for the main slide to the rear.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

Coming along nicely. Where did you get the shocks from?

Johan, all I can say is WOW.

The amount of thought and planning can be seen in the execution. Very very nice.
    Life's a journey..................even longer by foot

2006 Mazda Drifter X 2500 Td D/C (Ossie)
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 Sportline (VERY plat kar)

Quote Originally Posted by bakiboy View Post
    Coming along nicely. Where did you get the shocks from?
    I bought them from Goldco in Brackenfell.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jcrous For This Useful Post:

Cannot wait to see the finished product!
    Mine:
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox, with some mods...
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 manual, some mods to come!
    SWAMBO:
    2015 Ford Figo 1.4i Ambiente.
    ----------------

I progressed with my bush trailer.

The different compartments of the box can be seen. I have basically added all tubing that had to be fitted and now for the final welding and cleanup grinding. The doors, side boxes and nose box are not yet made. I just added the support pillars for that. I have not yet bolted the box to the chassis, but will do that later. As previously mentioned, that fulfills the definition of a "kokerbak". For this licensed trailer, I have to fit my own box with sides. I have also strengthened the rear pillars to be able to carry the heavy rear door.

Front view. The X shaped cross can be seen in the front to prevent warping. It may be an overkill.

I make effort for maximum penetration during the weld. I take no short cuts. Bye the way, the four hole socket in the lower centre of the pic is the AC conversion socket. When a spool gun is plugged in there, you can weld aluminium. I have a spool gun, so I wil use it where needed.
    Last edited by jcrous; 2017/09/02 at 02:31 PM.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

why not integrate the cross in front into the existing front square frame, instead of placing it behind it?
    T6 Facelift 2.2 DC 4x4
    RhinoCab Canopy
    OTMecca Bushy
    ----------------------------------------------
    et ego non sum de ovibus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast