Day zero when the Cape runs dry - Page 14

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Default Re: Day zero when the Cape runs dry

Lyk of ons 'n lekker paar mm ren kan verwag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cobus
    2017 Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Imagine Comfortvan 4 bed

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Just out of interest, how did you fit the fittings/ taps at the bottom of the drum?
    My explanation on a FB forum

First 3/4 wer extremely difficult but then it just tick.

"Fairly easy. did 10 last saturday.
    to put in a 20mm ballvalve you need:
    - 25mm Holesaw
    - 20mm Tank adapter (=- R35) (male part inside female outside)
    - 20mm BallValve (+- R25)
    - Thread tape
    - 2mLength of stiff wire (i used an offcut 2.5mm "twin-and-earth")

= drill hole with holesaw approx 8cm from bottom in line with top hole
    = smoothe edges with sandpaer
    = bend one side of wire to 90' angle - approx 5cm
    = insert wire into top hole and get bent tip through bottom hole (first is very tricky but gets easier)
    = slide inside part of tank adapter over wire into tank and out at the bottom (remember 1 rubber washer inside one on outside)
    = tighten properly until washer is compressed to half
    = wrap thread tape over tread of tank adapter
    = Tighten tap/ball valve on adapter"
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CoenraadB For This Useful Post:

I read the following article and the subsequent comments.

Things fall apart (without maintenance)

This comment (in comments section) from above article got me thinking....

It's not only ANC-run municipalities, though. The Western Cape and Cape Town are also affected, eg Xanthea Limberg as mayco member for water, a 30 yo former speech writer. I heard of a 30 yo black woman (not Limberg), head-hunted from outside the city to fulfil their quotas, appointed to a water engineering department over qualified, in-house candidates despite not having professional registration, typically a requirement for that post, on condition she acquired it soon after. But now, five years later, she still hasn't. (To induce her to accept the job offer, the city reportedly upped the grade of the post and thereby salary - R600K-plus pa. With her qualification, she only deserved the salary of a graduate with two years experience, NOT that of a registered professional.) Oh, and I heard other staff had to take her slack.

So off to some researching ....

Now that seems to stump me somewhat, and found the following bio: https://www.ambrosetti.eu/wp-content...anthea-ING.pdf

Also....
    10. XANTHEA LIMBERGXanthea Tyrrell Limberg is currently a Politics student at the University of Cape Town, majoring in Public Policy and Administration. She is an active member of YIDSO at the UCT campus, and also works as an intern for the Independent Democrats at their Head Office in Parliament. This young woman has been passionate about politics since the age of 15 years old and has been part of the ID since the age of seventeen. According to Xanthea her ultimate objective in life, wherever she goes, is to inspire the youth of South Africa, to become more involved and aware of the role politics plays in building our nation.
    from 2009 article re Independant Democrats http://www.politicsweb.co.za/party/t...ten-candidates

Wish the young lady the best of luck with a very demanding portfolio.

As my research led me to other articles, I suspect that things might be more problematic than it seems. (the small detail hidden in the articles are often missed)

Inside Patricia De Lille's bitter power struggle with Helen Zille

The Helen Zille wrote some articles that is insightful as are the comments.

From the Inside: Red tape dams up water solutions

From the Inside: Day Zero and the emerging water economy

Another one....

Op-Ed: Cape Towns inadequate drought tariffs

And the Mayor last press statement regarding the impending 'Day Zero'

Cape Town's water could run out in March 2018 Patricia de Lille

In my humble opinion I am not sure if the situation is being handled adequately (and no, I do not know the best way to handle it all). The problem is that the person(s) doing the work on the ground is not allowed to speak out, and all we have to go on is the statements from politicians.

A last one....

'Pessimism', harsh realisations and a cash crunch: Unpacking the City of Cape Town's drought crisis plan

To become a politician in SA you need to be able to tell lies.Lots of them.No matter what party you belong to.
    Here in The Western Cape the people are definitely been lied to and its not going to end well.This water situation is going to get very ugly if it does not rain and I mean rain lots before Feb/March next year.
    The leaders in the WC are playing games and hoping for rain to sort everything out.Lets see when the brown stuff hits the fan and the taps run dry and its hot and dry and windy in Cape Town.
    All I can say is good luck there.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

High-density areas with increased risk of disease and fires, such as most informal settlements, would continue to receive drinking water through normal channels where possible.
    This irks me somewhat.
    So those that contribute the least taxes, using un-metered taps, gets water for free ?
    Just drive through Phoenix here in Milnerton, and watch the water flowing at the taxi wash/ranks......

And here I am with a sprained back, from hoisting last night's bath water in 20 liter drums into the washing machine this morning, and filling the toilet cistern

Maybe this world needs a few fires, and a new unstoppable plague, to redress the imbalance of humanity
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gustav Jimny For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down Re: Day zero when the Cape runs dry

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Good luck, but the climate change realities put paid to any thoughts I had about moving to the Cape....its the Eastern parts of the country for me..
    Bad luck
    The Eastern Parts are already full of people that were here before you ( look at ancient migration patterns -- ALL along the East coast )
    and
    Although they are not much good at farming they will still not be happy with you being there -- Eastern parts
    or
    Using any of THEIR water ..........

On the radio earlier today there was a report that some of the Tenders for desalination hadn't even been responded to and were being resubmitted....
    Some were busy being finalised and others still being advertised.

All sounds a bit haphazard to me....
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Good rain today, I hope it rains again soon this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post

+1.....

On the radio earlier today there was a report that some of the Tenders for desalination hadn't even been responded to and were being resubmitted....

I disagree.

I have seen how WC/ CT operates, and it does so very well indeed, and crucially, very much by the book-so it does take time.

I have full confidence that they have it in hand as best as is possible under the conditions and resources at present.

Just keep being water-wise and encouraging others to do the same.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick L For This Useful Post:

The other day I took my car to Audi CFM for a service, and they didn't wash the car, which was 100% expected. Although all the cars I saw in the workshop were spotless, so not sure how well that rule is applied.

On my way out, I see a BRAND NEW carwash next door, I mean, how the F does a brand new carwash get an operating license during Level 5 water restrictions!

And people driving around in spotless-looking cars, more WTF. The Audi hasn't been washed since October 2016, is it seriously that big a deal if your car is dirty

/rant over
    --
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/22l8YHh

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: http://1drv.ms/1nNpJeM
    Range Rover/Sport Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/2iH7jgG

Car washes are allowed to operate if they recycle their water.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Car washes are allowed to operate if they recycle their water.
    they cannot possibly be recycling 100% of the water they are using, so they are still consuming potable water.

between having a clean car and having water to drink, cook, and (optionally) wash, I know what I choose.

it would seem a lot of people are too stupid to realise what a waste washing cars is...
    --
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/22l8YHh

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: http://1drv.ms/1nNpJeM
    Range Rover/Sport Workshop Manual: http://bit.ly/2iH7jgG

Apparently the tenders are not worth the effort?

http://www.kfm.co.za/articles/2017/0...l-scale-tender
    1993 Samurai. 2004 Jeep TJ Sport. V8 Lexus VVTi.

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    they cannot possibly be recycling 100% of the water they are using, so they are still consuming potable water.

between having a clean car and having water to drink, cook, and (optionally) wash, I know what I choose.

it would seem a lot of people are too stupid to realise what a waste washing cars is...
    I guess the car wash down the road from me gives work to at least 3 people, makes you think, doesn't it?
    1993 Samurai. 2004 Jeep TJ Sport. V8 Lexus VVTi.

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post

I know 2 different people that owns car washes. not one of them use a drop of potable water.

1 spent almost R400k to be able to stay open and keep employing his staff (actualy had to appoint 3 additional staff)
    He already had the recycling system in place at his carwash washbay designed to catch as much water as possible, Filters and pumps and treatments to reuse. When he turned off the municipal supply he bought a truck that can carry 6kl of water. Installed more tanks on premises. Then he struck a deal with a commercial laundry. Installed filters at there site and 50,000l tanks. He collects all his water from there and the laundry can also use some of their own recycled water.
    Havent used a drop of potable water since Feb this year.

the other carwash sunk a borehole and fillters use ground water for washing. they also installed rain tanks and nearby shopping centre to collect rain water to use when raining. Only use ground water when rainwater is finished. No Potable water used since November 2016

These guys have both spent a hell of a lot of money to stay in business, and not to lay off workers. The cost of this will not be quickly recovered.

If you see someone in what ever industry that NEEDS water to operate, do not judge them before you go and talk to them and find out what they are doiing....
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CoenraadB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MuKi View Post
    Where did you get the flow bin and drums? Do you mind sharing the price?
    Sory see I have missed this post.......

Got Flowbin from a friend that works at Distell had ethanol in that was used to fortify sherry. got is for R150

Blue drums I got from someone on forum. cost me a crate of Windhoek for 10 drums
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

Quote Originally Posted by CoenraadB View Post
    Got Flowbin from a friend that works at Distell had ethanol in that was used to fortify sherry. got is for R150

Blue drums I got from someone on forum. cost me a crate of Windhoek for 10 drums
    Any chance of a flow bin going begging from your mate?
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Any chance of a flow bin going begging from your mate?
    I am waiting for a second for myself. They are in high demand
    Coenraad Basson

Hilux D/C 3.0 D4D

Prado 4.0 V6 Auto VX

Quote Originally Posted by CoenraadB View Post
    Sory see I have missed this post.......

Off topic I know, But I have always believed that sherry was fortified with a measure of fine old brandy. It's a bit of a shock to learn that they use ethanol, probably produced by Sasol and shipped in plastic flow bins. I now agree with the Spanish who tried to stop us from using the name.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast