4x4 at Groenkloof Nature Reserve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool 4x4 at Groenkloof Nature Reserve

For those who haven't been to Groenkloof Nature Reserve (I'm sure everyone has lol) and would like to see what it is like, click on the links below to see videos which I shot:

It's generally a nice day out in a Reserve with a game viewing vibe. Obstacles are easy, probably grade 2 or maybe grade 3 for some of the obstacles when its rained lekker and there are water crossings and mud to deal with. That said, always ensure you chose the correct line up the rocky trails as it could end ugly if you're not used to them.
    and dont forget to braai afterwards as there are facilities available.

enjoy!
    Ricky G

https://www.youtube.com/RickyG

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L

Default Re: 4x4 at Groenkloof Nature Reserve

Here's the other video:

Ricky G

https://www.youtube.com/RickyG

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L

I've just bought my pajero swb and haven't been off roading before, I know how all my diffs and stuff work, but do you think groenkloof is suitable for a beginner?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_Munnik View Post
    I've just bought my pajero swb and haven't been off roading before, I know how all my diffs and stuff work, but do you think groenkloof is suitable for a beginner?

Thanks.
    Go with someone and learn by experience, you will be OK.

You have one hell of a vehicle, go for it.
    Last edited by Chris Stoffel; 2017/06/11 at 07:23 PM.
    1993 Samurai. 2004 Jeep TJ Sport. V8 Lexus VVTi.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:

Looks like a nice place to go.

As a newbie I've just been there on my own.

Probably a easy course but as a first timer it's probably better to take someone with that can guide you a bit.

Had to do a few u-turns.

Aaaai

We were there Saturday, the course was a lot more difficult than we expected since I read some reviews I read said it was Grade 2 maybe 3.
    Some parts are quite challenging and bypass routes cover entire sections and not every obstacle. We could have used a hi lift jack as 2 cars got beached at different points and was quite a bit of labour to get them out.

Was good fun though, would go back.
    Ford Ranger T6 Facelift 2.2L XL 4x4

I am going this weekend to try out a few things. Will be skipping any mud stuff if there is mud. Not keen on mud yet.
    Also going to let the misses drive so we can both get the feel for some offroading. Though we will skip anything that looks a bit dodge.

Oh and nice video.
    Is it possible to skip only the water stuff? Not so keen on water either
    Last edited by crocopede; 2017/07/19 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crocopede View Post
    I am going this weekend to try out a few things. Will be skipping any mud stuff if there is mud. Not keen on mud yet.
    Also going to let the misses drive so we can both get the feel for some offroading. Though we will skip anything that looks a bit dodge.

Oh and nice video.
    Is it possible to skip only the water stuff? Not so keen on water either
    It's been awhile since I have been at Groenkloof, but yes you can skip the entire water section.

GP0214
    Freddie W
    ORRA AG25
    2006 Toyota Prado. EFS,Frontrunner RR,RTT,
    2010 Mahindra Thar

We will be there tomorrow at 8am if anyone wants to join.
    Ford Ranger T6 Facelift 2.2L XL 4x4

Im super dummed out. I might go make an appearance later in the day. But seeing its almost 4am i doubt i will be alive that early.

Slept from 2pm - 7pm and now i cant sleep

Spur of the moment today me and the misses went around 11h30 am today.
    It was scary having never done 4x4.

I am unsure what a 4x4 route is supposed to be like but i felt that the track was very poorly maintained.
    1 meter deep ruts on bobejaan hill climb section and also orion hill. I would have imagined there are some easier lines but with half the track missing there are forced lines only.

Got stuck once where the car could only go through the predefined track, and it being so narrow seeing the side of my door being 1cm away from these bank walls did freak me out a lot. Not too keen on get panel beating done for trying out a 4x4 track.
    We tried in vein to reverse out but once you are in you are in. There is no going back.

I eventually made peace with the fact that the only way out of that hole is to write off the side doors, foot step and basically the entire side of the car. Put foot and by some miracle the car stuck in those god forsake ruts and pushed through with no damage.

Then I almost knocked a massive boulder on bobejaan climb. The misses was scouting and i mistook her hand gestures for directing an incoming aircraft. Turned out she was trying to warn me about the boulder. She eventually threw me with a rock through the open window to get me to stop.

Clearly beginners should not venture out on this track alone.
    We made it through and i feel more confident in the vehicles capabilities. But i also learned that one should preferably have some one with experience on hand.

I was lucky this time and i am not planning on tackling anything of this nature alone.
    It also convinced me to buy some bash plates for the transmission and sump. And perhaps even attend a 4x4 training course to see just exactly what the car can manage in a safer environment.

Spur of the moment today me and the misses went around 11h30 am today.
    It was scary having never done 4x4.

I am unsure what a 4x4 route is supposed to be like but i felt that the track was very poorly maintained.
    1 meter deep ruts on bobejaan hill climb section and also orion hill. I would have imagined there are some easier lines but with half the track missing there are forced lines only.

Got stuck once where the car could only go through the predefined track, and it being so narrow seeing the side of my door being 1cm away from these bank walls did freak me out a lot. Not too keen on get panel beating done for trying out a 4x4 track.
    We tried in vein to reverse out but once you are in you are in. There is no going back.

I eventually made peace with the fact that the only way out of that hole is to write off the side doors, foot step and basically the entire side of the car. Put foot and by some miracle the car stuck in those god forsake ruts and pushed through with no damage.

Then I almost knocked a massive boulder on bobejaan climb. The misses was scouting and i mistook her hand gestures for directing an incoming aircraft. Turned out she was trying to warn me about the boulder. She eventually threw me with a rock through the open window to get me to stop.

We made it through and i feel more confident in the vehicles capabilities. But i also learned that one should preferably have some one with experience on hand.

I was lucky this time and i am not planning on tackling anything of this nature alone.
    It also convinced me to buy some bash plates for the transmission and sump. And perhaps even attend a 4x4 training course to see just exactly what the car can manage in a safer environment.
    I would have never started with Groenkloof.I recommend De Wildt for first one. I have done Groenkloof alone , scary stuff never alone again.

Definitely do a 4x4 course first to learn your vehicle then learn together with experienced drivers on these trails.
    Last edited by Splashcamper; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:51 AM.

Do not 4x4 alone. First rule
    1986 Toyota Hilux SFA - Always a work in progress

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post

Best advice ever.

Even on very familiar trails with lots of experience, I will never do a trail alone.
    2014 Milk Bottle D/Cab Auto 4x4
    Too wide, Too low, Too expensive, Too cheating, No reverse

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    x 2, in fact it should not even be considered to 4x4 alone.
    The outdoors life for me, thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e...lzFbXUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
    Toyota Land Cruiser HJ47
    ...and a VW Citi Golf when I can't afford petrol for the toys

Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post
    Best advice ever.

Even on very familiar trails with lots of experience, I will never do a trail alone.
    I have done Welgelegen many times. Never gotten stuck. Got stuck at the bottom on Saturday and needed a tow.

If I was alone it would've been a 2hour walk for help. No reception at the bottom.

Terrible idea to go alone
    1986 Toyota Hilux SFA - Always a work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by chris_Munnik View Post

Thanks.
    Very...
    Even more so than De Wildt...
    Mad Manny

2010 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4.

www.4x4actiongroup.co.za
    "The Rain must come & Zuma must Go...

There is that enthusiasm that I was talking about, it's great to get out and try things, but man you can learn a lot just standing around watching the dudes that have done it all before and more importantly, what not to do. By all means book a course, but do yourself a favour, go on the next 4x4 action group (no I am not a member) day out. It will be time well spent.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (Sold)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    There is that enthusiasm that I was talking about, it's great to get out and try things, but man you can learn a lot just standing around watching the dudes that have done it all before and more importantly, what not to do. By all means book a course, but do yourself a favour, go on the next 4x4 action group (no I am not a member) day out. It will be time well spent.
    Definitely. I have changed my mind set on the importance of 4x4 training after my experience.
    Not so much for my own safety but more that of the misses safety and the cars well being.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast