How does a hdmi extender work?

Default How does a hdmi extender work?

Ok, I have Xtraview via a normal HD decoder linked to the Explora via a heartbeat cable. Both decoders are in my lounge area, but my 2nd TV is outside in the braairoom, about 12 metres away from the secondary decoder.

At the moment I have AV cables running to the 2nd TV but the picture quality is not that good.

Now thinking of rather getting a 15 meter HDMI cable to do the job. But then I noticed that Makro sells a HDMI extender pack (transmitter & receiver) for R100 bucks more than the HDMI cable.

Now my question: is this a wireless setup or do one still have to have some sort of cable which links the transmitter with the receiver?

I am thinking the route of the Remote blasters from Ellies which is wireless, but justs something via the HDMI outputs?
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    Hancook Dynapro ATM's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

Default Re: How does a hdmi extender work?

Watching closely. I have a set up with about 25 m cable and a booster. Booster not working well no more and I cannot get a replacement.
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse"
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

I it this one?
    https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-...ender-335513EA

I'd say this require a cat5 cable to link the two boxes.

Most HDMI extenders are wired - it sends HDMI over Ethernet and there is then UTP cable required between them. As lots of bandwidth and a stable signal is required, wireless display extenders tend to be pricey.
    ZS6VL

I do all my own tv wiring ( and stunts)

If possible use hdmi cable BUT only up-to 20m if longer needed the hdmi over cat5/6 works but not all of them are good ..... also they require power and the power supply is mostly bad quality...
    Wireless 'always' give trouble at the worst times

My2cents

Cheers

Nico
    '91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco
    '05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

If you buy a slitter then make sure you buy one that is powered
    not just a cable splitting in two
    Some of them can draw power from the HDMI transmitter so it does not necessarily need external power
    But it must not look like this

Go for something like this

The extender basically changes the signal to a network signal and then back again to the HDMI format
    Nice thing is they do offer better range and if the cable in between is damaged then it can easily be replaced with minimal cost
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2017/05/19 at 01:19 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by barman1965 View Post
    I it this one?

I'd say this require a cat5 cable to link the two boxes.
    Yip, that's the one.

I have since Googled a bit and yes, it does need the Cat5 cable, and as also indicated in another post, the wireless ones are quire pricey!

Guess I will rather then go for a 15m HDMI cable, only trouble is to crawl through the roof to get it to the outside!
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    Hancook Dynapro ATM's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

I just completed a hdmi project at our auditorium, there are hdmi extenders, which are 2 boxes that use a cat5/6 cable to transmit signals anywhere up to 120m depending on the model, and then
    there are hdmi repeaters, which are usually used for short lengths of hdmi cables and consists of a small unpowered box that supposedly can "reconstruct" the hdmi signal before sending on.

This is an extender

This is a repeater
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/27222...up_to_30m.html

The hdmi extenders work, but are quite reliant on using pure sold copper cat cable, the repeater on the other hand seems to be a bit of a lucky draw, we ordered one to link a 10m and 15m cable and it
    did not work.

@blackie, I would order a 15m cable from takealot.com as they have some of the best prices for cables, and give that a try first, 15m you should be perfectly fine for length, anything longer you are not likely to get signal, we have used a few cheapie 15m cables and they work fine, but if your dstv does not have a second hdmi out you will need to use a powered splitter for that run distance.
    https://www.takealot.com/hdmi-cable-...4/PLID44046609
    Last edited by ColeGP; 2017/05/19 at 01:29 PM.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T

I've done both.

I have a 20-ish m HDMI cable which I ran between the kitchen and bedroom for DSTV connection. I also ran CCTV feed between the TV room, bedroom and kitchen via transmitter and receivers. They are connected to each other via CAT5 cable. Was lekker to do the CAT5 terminations myself and it actually worked. Reason why I went that route is the distance between the two furthest points is approx. 50m, and I only needed 1 transmitter and two receivers.
    Fortuner 4.0v6 Auto - Awaiting new adventures (Summit4x4 Replacement B/Bar, Stofpad Bashplate, Gerbers LR tank(50l),Frontrunner towbar, Stonehill seat covers. Grabber AT's)
    Golf vii GTi DSG - (SWAMBO's new fly machine)
    BMW R1200 GSA LC
    Honda NC700x White - RIP
    Honda NC700x Silver - Saving the budget

I went for a powered HDMI splitter, and HDMI cable to the braai-room.

Works GOOD !

BUT, the HDMI splitter refuses to work with a NUC PC for streaming to both tvs .... fine with a media player, but not the PC.

HDMI extenders needs Cat 5/6 cable between the receiver & transmitter, you can then run up to about 50m. If you go to HD cabling in centurion, you can get the extender with the built in spliter for about R1800 with the surge protection ( There is power running with the cable and they are prone for damage by surges & lightning, That goes for all HDMI extenders), their prices on HDMI cables is also the best in the PTA region,( I buy from them quite a bit) just make sure you do the crimp on the RJ45 connector right on both ends of the network cable otherwise it will not work. For the remote blaster bit, just run a coax cable from the decoders to the patio, get a TV Link and you should be good to go. The remote blasters from Ellies works well, but if you have two tv's of the same make you might encounter some issues. The ellies blaster duplicates ANY remote including your tv's remote. Hope this helps
    Last edited by johan76; 2017/05/19 at 05:13 PM.

What would a 20 meter HDMI typically cost?
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser

@geoff - a 20m cable can cost from around R300 to over R1k, the "fancy" ones with ferrite cores claim to be better but if you google online a lot of tech places show that the basic ones are just as good.
    the problem is at 20m you really rolling the dice as that is on the very edge of HDMI unassisted transmission and unlike analogue signal, with HDMI it either works or it doesn't, there is no in between.

@chris - we also had one of the HDCVT splitters that basically refused to work between our 2 projectors so we returned it, it could be that one tv is FHD and the other is HD ready so they are different HD levels which causes the splitter to be unhappy and not want to work.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    @geoff - a 20m cable can cost from around R300 to over R1k, the "fancy" ones with ferrite cores claim to be better but if you google online a lot of tech places show that the basic ones are just as good.
    the problem is at 20m you really rolling the dice as that is on the very edge of HDMI unassisted transmission and unlike analogue signal, with HDMI it either works or it doesn't, there is no in between.

@chris - we also had one of the HDCVT splitters that basically refused to work between our 2 projectors so we returned it, it could be that one tv is FHD and the other is HD ready so they are different HD levels which causes the splitter to be unhappy and not want to work.
    You can run up to 50m hdmi with the correct cable. Analog or vga is restricted to 18m. Analog is less prone to doing funny things( no signal or bad signal) digifal(hdmi) very susceptible to interference. It gives you alot more prone to funny problems. Flicker, purple, green screen, firmware issues, intermittent link etc

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Ok, I have Xtraview via a normal HD decoder linked to the Explora via a heartbeat cable. Both decoders are in my lounge area, but my 2nd TV is outside in the braairoom, about 12 metres away from the secondary decoder.

At the moment I have AV cables running to the 2nd TV but the picture quality is not that good.

Now thinking of rather getting a 15 meter HDMI cable to do the job. But then I noticed that Makro sells a HDMI extender pack (transmitter & receiver) for R100 bucks more than the HDMI cable.

Now my question: is this a wireless setup or do one still have to have some sort of cable which links the transmitter with the receiver?

I am thinking the route of the Remote blasters from Ellies which is wireless, but justs something via the HDMI outputs?
    It basically turns a hdmi connector into a ethernet connector. My advice would be to get the proper cable and from a place like hd cabling. Their stuff is proper equipment. Rather safe than sorry. You get what you pay for.
    You need special tools to do the connection on rj 45. Also cat 5 not good you need cat 5e 24awg/cat6 stp or higher. Most problems with extenders are due to wrong cable

Quote Originally Posted by Theunissa View Post
    You can run up to 50m hdmi with the correct cable. Analog or vga is restricted to 18m. Analog is less prone to doing funny things( no signal or bad signal) digifal(hdmi) very susceptible to interference. It gives you alot more prone to funny problems. Flicker, purple, green screen, firmware issues, intermittent link etc
    via a cat5/6 extender yes you can get up to 50m or if you go HDBaseT you can get up to 120m or so, but using plain old hdmi cables there is no way you can get signal to 50m, but lets not go off topic.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post

Jip, two way different tv's. One is 10 years old technology, ie ancient. The other is about 4 or 5 years old .....

not important enough for us to now start buying new tv's to make it work .... actually watching less and less tv ....