New Member, New to 4x4, with Pajero

Default New Member, New to 4x4, with Pajero

Hello 4x4 Community

My name is Juan, I recently moved to Grabouw, Western Cape, I run my own business and yesterday I did two new things. I finally pulled the trigger and joined this community(after years of benefiting from the wealth of knowledge here) and I also bought a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Ironically i woke up yesterday morning and was busy logging in to my banking to pay a holding deposit on a 2005 Hyundai Terracan 3.5 V6.
    And happened to see an advert for a 2004 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2D-ID A/T Afrika Edition that was only posted the night before.
    Jumped in my car, went to view and discovered maybe the most meticulously maintained and loved car i have ever had the privilege to see.
    With lots of extra's and it just ticked all the boxes.
    So thanks to the wonders of Banking Apps i bought it on the spot.

I am picking it up sometime today and will then post pictures.
    The Pajero has 224 000km on and i was dead set against buying a high KM diesel. I prefer Petrol myself as fuel consumption is not an issue.
    But after seeing how well looked after, maintained, regularly serviced and how honest the owner was with me and it was clear it had seldom been offroad. I just couldn't resist.
    I am now going to take it to a Mitsubishi 'expert' in CPT for bumper to bumper check up.
    And see what preventative maintenance i can focus on.

My first focus outside of that is to add an Old Man Emu upgrade and a Long Range Tank.
    I am an absolute newbie so what i don't find as existing advice on here i will most certainly ask.

My main reason for buying a 4x4 was two fold.

1. I wanted a Bug Out car for when the paw-paw hits the fan and I need to get to a friends farm for safety (assuming roads blocked)
    2. To meet some new friends and explore trails and parts of the country not possible with my platkar.
    I have recently also found a love for birds and am blessed to have hundreds of species in my backyard.

The car needed to be large enough, with easy enough access for my 2 great danes and that is why this Pajero ticked all the boxes.
    I now need to go on 4x4 training and find some friends to do trails with (as the few trails I have checked out, like here in Grabouw, say minimum of 2 cars) I am guessing for if one gets stuck.

Juan

Default Re: New Member, New to 4x4, with Pajero

Welcome, great find by the sound of it
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (Sold)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Welcome and maybe post some photo's on the Mitsubishi picture thread.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Welcome Juan, enjoy the Paj! Great cars they are.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Hi Welcome Juan, post pics of your Paj Please.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to meh For This Useful Post:

Well done, an excellent choice. They are certain things / questions and things to follow up / keep an eye on:
    - Injectors?
    - Fuel pump & fuel pump seal?
    - Oil pressure switch (replace if old / not replaced)
    - Coolant pipe union at gearbox ? (plastic gets brittle).
    - Transmission oil & filter changed?
    - Differential, transfer box & gearbox oils changed? Use genuine ATF only.
    - Coolant changed? (2 x year lifetime)
    - Brake fluid changed? (2 x year lifetime)
    - Water temperature gauge is renowned to play up (there is a 90% sure fix- google it). Maybe fit a Madman or MGL Avionics EGT plus water gauge / alarm.
    - Block off EGR.
    - Valve clearances (dealers & some indies seem to ignore them).
    - Keep engaging all 4x4 gear positions on an ongoing basis standing still. (switches get gummed up when not used often)
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Well done, an excellent choice. They are certain things / questions and things to follow up / keep an eye on:
    - Injectors?
    - Fuel pump & fuel pump seal?
    - Oil pressure switch (replace if old / not replaced)
    - Coolant pipe union at gearbox ? (plastic gets brittle).
    - Transmission oil & filter changed?
    - Differential, transfer box & gearbox oils changed? Use genuine ATF only.
    - Coolant changed? (2 x year lifetime)
    - Brake fluid changed? (2 x year lifetime)
    - Water temperature gauge is renowned to play up (there is a 90% sure fix- google it). Maybe fit a Madman or MGL Avionics EGT plus water gauge / alarm.
    - Block off EGR.
    - Valve clearances (dealers & some indies seem to ignore them).
    - Keep engaging all 4x4 gear positions on an ongoing basis standing still. (switches get gummed up when not used often)

Thanks Pete!
    Really appreciate the detailed advice.
    I am having Jacques (mistu expert in CPT) give it a bumper to bumper check for me.
    He did tell me the Paj CK models are known for injector pump issues related issues.

I will provide an update on the list once I receive the car.
    Due to family visit i am only collecting the car tomorrow morning now.
    Couldn't sleep last night, hope i get some sleep tonight.

Hi and welcome to the family, especially the Pajero family.
    I am just on the other side of the mountain and you are most welcome to join me for a get together and perhaps a not that seriuos trail, just to let you learn and experience what Pajeroism (thanks Riaan) is about.
    I've got the time and often go over the mountain thus no effort for me, actually it will be nice to meet and greet.
    You have bought a gem of a vehicle and agree that you should have it properly checked as mentioned, even if it cost you a couple of $. Spares are expensive and sometimes difficult to get hold off, but again, between Riaan van Wyk (Richards Bay) and myself (Kuilsrivier) we, as well as other members, have taken on the task in challenging the top brass on this issue.
    A very reputable dealer is the one here in Kuilsriver, Imperial Mitsubishi and luckily they always make a plan to get parts required on time every time.
    Enjoy your Pajero.
    Johan
    Johan
    Pajero SWB 2015
    Live Life!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coetzee Kuilsrivier For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coetzee Kuilsrivier View Post
    Hi and welcome to the family, especially the Pajero family.
    I am just on the other side of the mountain and you are most welcome to join me for a get together and perhaps a not that seriuos trail, just to let you learn and experience what Pajeroism (thanks Riaan) is about.
    I've got the time and often go over the mountain thus no effort for me, actually it will be nice to meet and greet.
    You have bought a gem of a vehicle and agree that you should have it properly checked as mentioned, even if it cost you a couple of $. Spares are expensive and sometimes difficult to get hold off, but again, between Riaan van Wyk (Richards Bay) and myself (Kuilsrivier) we, as well as other members, have taken on the task in challenging the top brass on this issue.
    A very reputable dealer is the one here in Kuilsriver, Imperial Mitsubishi and luckily they always make a plan to get parts required on time every time.
    Enjoy your Pajero.
    Johan
    Hi Johan

Thanks for the welcome and offer of getting together.
    I am most certainly going to take you up on that.

I eventually collected the Paj this morning around 11h30.
    What should have been a day of registering it in my name and testing it out instead had the Paj parked in the Somerset West Builders Warehouse parking all day, as I did the cops work for them.
    My sister and mother visited last night and whilst shopping at a material shop outside Builders had their car cleaned out of their suitcases and shopping.
    White Toyota Etios pulled in next to them as my sister was getting her daughter out the back seat.
    They must have jammed the central locking as she pressed it three times but it clearly didnt lock.
    They calmly stepped out of their car, right in front of the shops, took suitcases from the boot and then calmly looked inside the car for the shopping.
    All caught on camera but the police were unmotivated.
    So i went around collecting camera evidence, handed the police the number plate and they found it was a Thrifty rental car.
    Thrifty wont give up the renters details, so they force me to use my marketing magic powers to pressure them into assisting. ;-)

But finally home so here are the first pics.
    My View and Your View. ;-)
    I will send you a PM with my details and look forward to meet soon.
    Have a great and safe weekend.

20170519_171133_resized.jpg20170519_164118_HDR_resized.jpg

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I do not know if they can jam the Mitsibushi system. I never had it with my Gen3. Lets see what others can tell us. What I did experience once is that while my wife and I were getting out of the car and being slightly pre-occupied, they walked past the back of the car and just popped the back door catch just before I locked it (you think it has locked but with the door being just "popped" the system will not lock). Fortunately it has a distinct sound when opened and when I heard it, I had to stop and think about it before I then realised what they were up to.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2017/05/22 at 11:04 AM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!