Best current Garmin for T4A

Default Best current Garmin for T4A

Simply, what is the best current Garmin that has the most useful and practical features available to use with Tracks 4 Africa?

TIA
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on BFG KO2 265/65/18's [Imvubu]

Default Re: Best current Garmin for T4A

Its a bit pricey but the 276CX is streets ahead of anything else Garmin has to offer. I have had various Garmins through the years and this one just does it all. I found that not having a touchscreen is a distinct advantage except when you have to type...but that does not happen often in my case. Oh yes, the standard mount is no good. Invest in a Montana mount.
    2012 Troopy
    Swambo Nissan Hardbody 3.0td 4x4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kocourek For This Useful Post:

What is the advantage above the Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Simply, what is the best current Garmin that has the most useful and practical features available to use with Tracks 4 Africa?

TIA
    My quick and short answer would be whatever you can afford.

As a map T4A will work on most Garmin units and does not necessarily work different than any other map you load. What is different, is the information on the map. But that will be displayed regardless on which unit it is loaded.

The issue might come in when you are looking for more off road/overlanding functions/features like track back, being more robust/dust proof/water proof etc. In this case units like the 276, Montana, GPS Map, smaller eTrex etc. are winners. These are then functions/features of the GPS, regardless of the map it is running.

I have a big screen Nuvi in my car that can navigate equally good on Garmin Streetmaps as it can on T4A. I don't need anything extra. It has been sitting on my dash in the sun for a couple of years now without trouble. I have never used the track back function for instance on any unit I had with that functionality. I always set the current track log to be visible and track back on that where and when required. I do have a small eTrex 20 unit in the car also. This one I have specifically for recording tracks with the lock on road function off (this cannot be set on my Nuvi). These track logs I can submit to T4A. Because it is small and weather proof and can run for a couple of days on penlight batteries it is ideal to carry along on a hiking trail or to mount on the mountain bike.

Maybe you can elaborate on the specific features /functions you have in mind when you ask the question.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2017/05/17 at 10:51 PM.

Like Daniek says it would depend what features you would like on the GPS in the times you are not using the T4A maps, do you nice graphics with 3D building etc ? The Garmin Nuvi range is pretti good if you dont want to fork out too much. The new Garmin smart drive range has plenty of features but also more expensive.
    "One man's trash is a another man's treasure is a terrible way to tell your child they're adopted" - Weskus

Current: 2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 5.0L V8 HSE

I have the same question. In 2012 we did an overland trip with the Montana 600, but I did not use any extra function beside T4A on car modus.

Now we're planing an overland trip for > 1 year in southern Africa, my Landcruiser is fitted standaard sat/navigation. As I understand, I cannot load T4A on it so we're looking for a new Garmin unit.

So the most important feature will be a big screen with car modus, so the Garmin drive (e.g. 61 LMT-S) are the best/cheapest deal? Is it correct that T4A can run on these without any restrictions/problems off roading?

Quote Originally Posted by jorisv View Post
    I have the same question. In 2012 we did an overland trip with the Montana 600, but I did not use any extra function beside T4A on car modus.

Now we're planing an overland trip for > 1 year in southern Africa, my Landcruiser is fitted standaard sat/navigation. As I understand, I cannot load T4A on it so we're looking for a new Garmin unit.

So the most important feature will be a big screen with car modus, so the Garmin drive (e.g. 61 LMT-S) are the best/cheapest deal? Is it correct that T4A can run on these without any restrictions/problems off roading?
    As I tried to explain in a previous post, T4A is just another map as Garmin Streetmaps. Itself does not have any builtin functionality that will make a specific unit behave differently. In other words, whatever "off-road" functionality you want to use will be restricted to what "off-road" functionality is available for a specific unit and not the map you have loaded.

What makes T4A different from other maps, in my opinion, is that if T4A displays a track/road you can be certain that at some point in time someone drove that track/road and submitted the tracklog. T4A have lately added more detailed city streets where data could have been sourced elsewhere (T4A can correct me if I am wrong). Default Garmin maps like Streetmaps etc. will for instance add forestry roads, roads between a farmers lands/orchids etc. that are 100% private roads. The same goes for places of interest. Mostly, the map will only display places marked and submitted by members. Obviously, being community driven, T4A also rely on members to send updated information. A track that was open 10 years ago might have, for what ever reason, not be open anymore. So unless I send that information to T4A, it will remain on the map. Added to this ETA's are calculated by averaging actual speeds traveled on a particular section of road. This information will come from actual track logs submitted by members. One has to keep in mind that this is an average. In general you might be travelling a lot faster than the average where I could be travelling a lot slower than the average. With time one tends to "learn" how to interpret the ETA's based on your own driving style. The same would apply for the Garmin Streetmaps also.

In summary; T4A will/should work on most Garmin units available for in-car / outdoor navigation. It could have changed in the meantime, but at some stage some smaller units could only take one route at a time and then also only from point A to point B with no in between points. Some smaller units were also not able to take additional maps than the base map it came installed with. These are the type of specs that should be looked at when deciding on the choice of unit:
    1) Can additional maps be loaded to the unit?
    2) Can one upload more than one planned (in BaseCamp/Mapsource) route, with via points, to the unit? See attached comparison chart (I see that Garmin SA have not updated the chart to the newer units, but you wil get my point).
    3) If required, are tracklogs saved without restriction. My eTrex 20 would, for instance, save tracklogs until the memory is full. I have set it to save a log per day. I don't worry to much about the Nuvi, but it seems as if it will only save for a certain time or distance then you will loose older data. A weekly download of the tracklogs should solve this problem. I will have to check for how long the Nuvi keeps the tracklogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Hi all,

Danie is 100% correct in his comments. And yes, we have used "open source maps" to add the streets to our maps, there are a few "glitzes" with out of date information which is being corrected as people give us feedback when driving in the city. If anybody has any feedback for us, just a short email to newdata@tracks4africa.co.za will bring it to our attention, and we will fix it up.

Most of our "bush" roads, are created from tracks that people actually drove. And if one person drove the road in 2010, and the road was then closed, the road stays on the map, unless someone informs us the road no longer exist - so we very much depend on our community to send us the information. We add tracks in game reserves, and if they are not intended for public use (say private game drive tracks for private lodges), we mark them as such, so the user can see they are private roads, rather than drive on them not knowing they are private.

For the smaller GPS's (like the eTrex for instance), what you can load on the GPs depends on the size of the memory: some GPS's (and I am not sure if the newer GPS's work differently) will save e.g. 1000 trackpoints (what we call breadcrums), and then it is "full", it will then delete the oldest trackpoint to make way for the newest, and so on. So best to download your GPS and clear the memory at least once a week if you do not want to loose the older data. I have travelled extensively in 2012/13 with an eTrex 20 as a "data logger" and it worked well by only downloading it once a week.

Danie's comparison is a good one - the Nuvi Drive range has a nice size screen to read, and usually if people ask for an affordable GPS to use for in car navigation, we suggest the Drive Series. If you are doing e.g. a 1 year overland trip, remember the Drive is not as sturdy as the Montana, which is dust proof, splash proof and "bump" proof. The GPS also takes a lot of heat in the windscreen, so if you park the car, take the GPS out of the windscreen, store it in a cool place or just take it with you.

Regards

Lizette

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

So I ended up getting the DriveAssist 50LMT from Cape Union Mart as they are running a good special on it since the DriveAssist51 is on it's way out..

So far, I like the size of the GPS but haven't used T4A on it, yet... will be updating that relatively soon.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on BFG KO2 265/65/18's [Imvubu]

Fantastic Douglas, keep us up to date!

Regards

Lizette

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Hi all, just a quick question, does any of you guys have any experience or knowledge of the TomTom Bridge unit - price is similar to the Garmin 276cx, can't find any reviews on the gps online. The Voetspore team used it in Mozambique with the T4A app, also saw an article in the SA4x4 (think Nov '16), but thats it, no other info or reviews......

Cheers guys
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx (Next upgrade - Winch and Snorkel)
    2015 Ford Eco Sport Titanium TDCi

Wishlist: Bush Lapa Miskruier

The TomTom Bridge looks like a very nice GPSr with nice features. It would have been running the T4A android version, which I believe does not have full functionality like the Garmin version. Maybe Liz can comment if this has changed?

While the "road GPSrs", like the Nuvis, seamlessly run T4A, you do not have the same functionality as the "proper" off-road GPRs, like the Montana and 276. Routing is limited, but can and is used for remote travels. There are ways to get around the limitations.

One big limitation to me with the Nuvis is the lack of detail on the screen, even when set to most detail. Many minor roads, tracks and place marks do not show up unless you zoom right in. This became apparent on 2 occasions recently. The first one was in the Paarl area where I wanted to see how close to the destination we were while travelling on the N1. We had not used routing as we knew where the destination was. But to visually see the destination, and the minor tar road it was on we had to zoom right in, losing all perspective of distance and where it was in relation to our current position.

The second one was driving through a Game Reserve in my wife's Freelander with only the Nuvi. Again, the side roads to hides etc only showed up when zoomed in. It was easier navigating with paper maps.

Both the old and new 276 show all these side roads without having to zoom in, and also more detail surrounding your position. This alone is enough reason for me to use these on our holiday destinations.

Having said that, we have both our big 7" Nuvi and the 276Cx on our dash when going on trips. The Nuvi is great for navigating around town as it's easier to punch in addresses than the 276, and is a nice backup to the 276Cx. The 276 does all the proper off-road navigation, track collection etc.
    '16 Iveco Daily 4x4 "Molly"
    '06 D3 V8 "Handsome"
    Ex '76 101FC "Hermit"
    Ex '88 110 tdi "Intethe"

Ex '96 D1 tdi "Pelepele"

Hi Mike & peyperj,

I'm not sure about the TomTom Bridge, I have asked Johann Groenewald to comment for us.

Regards

Lizette

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hi Mike & peyperj,

I'm not sure about the TomTom Bridge, I have asked Johann Groenewald to comment for us.

Regards

Lizette

Thank you Lizette, much appreciated!
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx (Next upgrade - Winch and Snorkel)
    2015 Ford Eco Sport Titanium TDCi

Wishlist: Bush Lapa Miskruier

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    So I ended up getting the DriveAssist 50LMT from Cape Union Mart as they are running a good special on it since the DriveAssist51 is on it's way out..

So far, I like the size of the GPS but haven't used T4A on it, yet... will be updating that relatively soon.
    Any further news on that Drive assist 50, esp. on T4A? Outdoor W/H has a special and I intend buying one if the feedback is positive.
    No one can provide any info on the real differences with the newer Drive assist 51

Would anyone here recommend the Garmin zumo 395LM?

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2003 BMW Dakar F650GS