The cost of eating out - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: The cost of eating out

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    our 'go to' places - De Brassiere, 96 Winery, Clos Malvern (if you can get in) will all give you excellent service and a good meal and good beverages for under R200/head in wonderful surroundings .
    I'd be happy with R200 /head.

Up here, you get a plate of shite, over priced wine and you're down R300 / head and unhappy to boot. And that's just a mid-level steak house. And no freebies like a bread roll.

R200 up here gets you a plain burger and two beers.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    I refuse to spend the crazy amounts of money on eating out. On food, that you have nothing to show for the next day, well, apart from....
    Without trying to hard you pay R500 for a restaurant trip with the family, there is a LOT of stuff I would rather spend that money on, on things that I will still use months and years later.

We eat as healthy as we can and we treat ourselves every now and then, but I buy the food and make it myself.

how much do you think you spend a night to eat at home?

sure, you are already paying for the roof and the tables and chairs whether you eat there or not.

but:

hard cost of ingredients (actual piece of steak and potatoes)
    'soft' cost of ingredients - the stuff you take out of the cupboard/Fridge - herbs/spices/sauces/oil
    cleaning stuff
    breakages
    drinks

you'd be surprised. Depending on what you eat, A meal for 4 people at home is going to be R400 of ingredients and up....

Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum variat
    "the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams

those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

This is what we have to settle for....@ R45 each.

Name:  FB_IMG_1492774716365.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  87.4 KB
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    This is what we have to settle for....@ R45 each.

Name:  FB_IMG_1492774716365.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  87.4 KB

Nothing wrong with this meal, I would be a regular customer if it was available here...

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    Nothing wrong with this meal, I would be a regular customer if it was available here...
    Haha! Agreed.....which is why I added the little face.

One of our better local restaurants, called Tapa's. Nice informal place, but real value for your money. The R45 burger is their current special, but their normal prices are not bad.
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd be happy with R200 /head.

Up here, you get a plate of shite, over priced wine and you're down R300 / head and unhappy to boot. And that's just a mid-level steak house. And no freebies like a bread roll.

R200 up here gets you a plain burger and two beers.

I went for lunch at Brassiere yesterday.

It's on the beach, and the place is beautifully appointed - very tasteful and upmarket. The toilets even have little showers to wash and blow dry your bottom should you feel the need.

it's not silver service, but its superb service by most standards...

they have a 'Bistro' menu as well as the al a carte menu.

you can actually pop in, have a something small like a Croque monsieur (toasted ham n cheese to the Gautengalese) and a Jack Black for a hundred bucks. you'll need another R10 for a tip

or 7 oysters and a glass of MCC for R 150 wash it down with a Jack Black and leave a slightly mean tip for R200.

250g Sirloin with 2 sides (chips/veg/salad/rice) is R155 and it's a bloody good steak.

they have a selection of imported Belgian beers (Jack Black is the only local beer - R35/500ml) and wines from their farm as well as others

or you can spend more - yes, Mojitos are R70 each and 4 of them vanish very easily.

I've never actually MANAGED to eat there for R200/head, but theoretically I COULD.....
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2017/04/21 at 02:12 PM.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams

it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

We recently did a whirlwind trip to Namibia and back and road trips of course normally include a Wimpy meal. For a family of four this very seldom comes to less than R300 including coffees, can sometimes even be closer to R400..!

However, two places stuck out on our travels. First was a dodgy looking little coffee shop in Keetmanshoop where four plates of food, coffees and milkshakes came to R246 including a generous tip. The other was Die Pienk Padstal in Kakakamas where a similar meal cost R252. Food at both was exceptional and that's not because I'm comparing it to Wimpy either

Good quality reasonable restaurants are out there, you just have to look. In Kimberley we eventually ate at the Mugg & Bean and was once again reminded that franchise restaurants should not be first choice..! Drinks, be it coffees, soft drinks or alcohol in these places is often the killer.

Yes the overheads are often very high as they are in malls or occupy expensive real estate but the bottom line is that it can be reasonable to still eat out. A while back I was in CT and went out for dinner two nights in a row, one night to Nelson's Eye where I paid R300 for a mediocre sirloin and the next night to steakhouse in Belville where for R110 I ate one of the best sirloins ever.

Breakfast is one meal I almost refuse to buy at a restaurant - I've very seldom eaten a better breakfast that I can make at home for a 1/4 of the price!
    2015 Ford Everest 3.2 TDCi XLT
    Mods to follow...
    Afrispoor Cougar

If you bother to spend some time on the internet, you can find a decent meal for R60 at many restaurants still. Stuff like pizza, pasta, burgers, indian. These places are a very viable option instead of cooking dinner when you are feeling lazy.

A restaurant experience must be food that is not easy to do at home. I have accepted that I will pay up to R140 for such a dish, e.g. eisbein. However, I must afterwards go "Hmmm, Yummy!". Yes, I am that cheap and beyond R140, I will rather go masterchef at home.

My butcher charges R90 for sirlion and rump. You can cut it with a butter knife and they are real tasty. I cannot remember the last time I bothered to get overpriced steak at a restaurant.

Geess, if you want a toasted cheese and ham sandwich, go to the muslim cornershop and get it for R12, or make it yourself. Unless it comes with sexual favors, I cannot see how R100 for a sandwich can be justified.

I recently had a look at farm restaurants around Stellenbosch for anniversary dinner. I found the following trend. Starters begin at R150 and main course at R200. That is just insane. You are looking at least R1k for 2 pax. Then reading the descriptions of these "french" dishes, you get the distinct impression, you will have to go to Steers afterwards to quell the hunger pains!

Luckily I do not have the palate the craft beer. Most SA beers I find fairly terrible actually. Luckily there is one beer in SA that comes close to a Finnish beer I really like. Even better is that it is brewed under license by SAB and I can get a case R220!
    If you really need wine with your dinner, consider taking your own and paying the corkage. At least you also know what you will be getting in the bottle.
    Last edited by RogueFrontier; 2017/04/21 at 03:09 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

sorry, we keep forgetting.

some of you live in Johannesburg.

Attachment 443421
    At least there are some very decent eateries up there, Durban sucks the hind tit when it comes to restaurant's. I read the "Top 10 restaurants" in an inflight magazine last month (en route to Cape Town nogall) and nine are from the Cape and one from Pretoria!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

A R66 aged rump cooked properly on my patio, served with salads was more than enough for both of us. In fact we had a small piece each for breakfast !!

However, a toasted cheese and a craft beer at Van Gaalens cheese factory was R150 !!!......for one.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

If you rate Restaurants 1 - 10.
    1 Being horrible & 10 being outstanding.

Then rate the price 1 - 10.
    1 being dirt cheap & 10 being horrifically expensive.

If I go to a 3 restaurant & pay 3, I'm satisfied.
    We went to Ale House, run down dump, but the food & beer was a 6 & the price a 4 - bargain.

McDonalds is a 3 food & 3 price - fair deal. KFC is a 2 food at a 4 price - rip off.

Spur is 4 food at a 6 price - a rip off.

The Saxon was a 10 food at a 10 price - acceptable.

Tasca Dos Amigos in Fairlands is a 7 (Porra) food on 5 or 6 price - bargain.

Anyway, thats how I look at it.
    Last edited by Mad Manny; 2017/04/21 at 04:43 PM.
    Mad Manny

2010 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4.

www.4x4actiongroup.co.za
    "The Rain must come & Zuma must Go...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Manny For This Useful Post:

I suppose it depends on what you want when you eat out.

I got the feeling Damdan (OP) was looking for something reasonably upmarket

We have a place up the road - Im Eimer and it's lovely - but it's not silver service or anything.

Eisbein and trimmings which will feed two is R89 and it's delicious.

they have reasonable wines and beers for very good prices too.

a GOOD family friendly place - big outdoor play area for the kids, decor is cool.

http://imeimer.co.za/index.php/about/

Angry Re: The cost of eating out

More in support of the farmer and reasons why they and the end user are being ripped off. They carry all the risk of breeding and rearing the animals, putting up with droughts, floods, veld fires, stock theft, diseases, labour that is unproductive and doesn't give a damn, jackals and lynx killing their livestock, etc. etc. and then the middle men who have none of the above issues to deal with, make the most profit.

And we, the consumers pay through the neck. I think "its Time" (in different sense) we to make our voices heard.

I suppose it depends on what you want when you eat out.

I got the feeling Damdan (OP) was looking for something reasonably upmarket

We have a place up the road - Im Eimer and it's lovely - but it's not silver service or anything.

Eisbein and trimmings which will feed two is R89 and it's delicious.

they have reasonable wines and beers for very good prices too.

a GOOD family friendly place - big outdoor play area for the kids, decor is cool.

http://imeimer.co.za/index.php/about/
    That settles it. I need no come visit your neighborhood soon! *DROOOL*

how much do you think you spend a night to eat at home?

you'd be surprised. Depending on what you eat, A meal for 4 people at home is going to be R400 of ingredients and up....
    Yeah, we certainly live different standards I see...
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250
    Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    More in support of the farmer and reasons why they and the end user are being ripped off. They carry all the risk of breeding and rearing the animals, putting up with droughts, floods, veld fires, stock theft, diseases, labour that is unproductive and doesn't give a damn, jackals and lynx killing their livestock, etc. etc. and then the middle men who have none of the above issues to deal with, make the most profit.

And we, the consumers pay through the neck. I think "its Time" (in different sense) we to make our voices heard.
    Yes - what you say. But the rewards are also insanely high for the good farmer.

And although the middleman may make a higher profit percentage wise, your "none" above in blue is a bit na´ve. They have their fare share of risks too. Ironically all the risks that you say the farmer has, are ultimately passed on to the middleman.

I know and have know many farmers. Family and good friends. when they have finished complaining they invariably get back into their Merc or Porsche and drive to the local aerodrome to climb into their own plane and fly to their holiday "cottage" in Cape St Francis or the Kruger or .........
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post

I also cannot understand the variances in price in the market.

Whole fillet (about 18 months ago)
    F&V - R249/kg
    Pnp - R169/kg
    Britos - R110/kg

How can there be such a variance in price between shops less then 1km from each other?

R35 for a huge bowl of pea soup and homemade bread.

Gotta love the cheapskate Eastern Cape...

Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    Yeah, we certainly live different standards I see...
    Things escalate quickly if you break it down... Liefie is in the mood for my homemade burgers (OK, I only make the patties) tonight and it's been a while since we did shopping; therefore this afternoon I have to get 1 kg mince @ R74.99; 900g chaddar cheese @~ R90 (might as well get extra as it works out cheaper); 6 soft burger buns @~R15; whole garlic @~R30, spices for my special mix @~R50 (should last a while), dozen eggs (might as well get extra for later use) @ ~R22, sliced bread for breadcrumbs @ R12, etc... Now I'm already pretty much at R300 and it all started with some burgers for 2...
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    That settles it. I need no come visit your neighborhood soon! *DROOOL*

if you look at the bottom of that menu, you can have the pork roast or rouladen (beef olives) or stroganoff for about R75 and it's a decent portion, delicious too.

a 500ml Windhoek draught is R24 (actual draught , not bottle)

so for R100 before a tip, you can have a decent meal and a beer , served in a nice garden (or indoors) and the fireplaces burn wood like no tomorrow in winter. very toasty and pleasant.

not bad at all.

again, it's theoretical , I've never managed to ACTUALLY eat there for R100!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast