Police Clearance certificate for Eastern Africa trip

Default Police Clearance certificate for Eastern Africa trip

Hi
    We are traveling from Durban to Ugands overland and need to know if we need a police clearance certificate for our vehicle? If so how do we go about getting one please. We have phoned all over today and had no luck.
    Thanks

Default Re: Police Clearance certificate for Eastern Africa trip

It is probably not necessary and the only place I have heard of it being asked for is at the Chirundu border post between Zambia and Zimbabwe. But it is very straightforward to get and my golden rule for overlanding is that we carry as many official looking documents as possible. To get it, you need to go to the council and get the necessary form, then take that and the vehicle to the police's official clearance depot - I have no idea where it is in your neck of the woods, there is only one in Cape Town so I presume the same applies to Durbs.
    More importantly, you will need a carnet de passage for the vehicle for Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Gaby, to save time, just remember that the SAPS will not issue a Clearance if the car is not Data - Dotted.

And whatever you do, DONT let them mark it for "Export", even by accident. You wo'nt be able to reverse and re-register again in SA without a few blood clots.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Hi

I am looking at a similar situation - but from Australia and then multiple African countries and I have been advised that I need a "Carnet de Passages en Douane" for my vehicle. You will find that the AA issue them. They are basically a passport for your vehicle and each country you pass through take out a leaf of something.

Hope this helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JenRich For This Useful Post: