I'm going to have to change tyres soon. Please Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm going to have to change tyres soon. Please Help!

Good Morning all

I currently have Goodyear Wrangler ATs (244/70/R16) on my 1999 Isuzu KB280DT, however they have come to the end of their life cycle, and I am now due for a change, and I would like your help with 2 things.

Firstly I am considering going to 265/70/R16s, I am aware that this will cause a slight loss in power, but I will like the look of the slightly wider tyres and the height gain they will bring.

Next which tyre should I fit, I haven't had any problems with my current set of Wranglers. I use my Isuzu as my daily, but I always get excited when I see a gravel road or a chance to go off roading, so I am mainly looking at ATs.

These are my options that I have narrowed it down to:

Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA
    Dunlop AT3
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR (unsure about this)
    Bridgestone

And Hankook Dynapro ATM (this will be for the bigger tyre size, as they are on special)

Please can anyone assist me or give general input on making a choice. These were the tyres in my general price range, BFGs are simply too expensive 😭

Default Re: I'm going to have to change tyres soon. Please Help!

I'd go with the AT/SA or Pirellis personally.

Whatever is cheapest.

Ive read that the other two mentioned are very soft.

Personally had great service from my AT/SAs and will also soon be going 245 to 265
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Got a quotation yesterday for 4x grabber AT 3 R10 200 fitted 255 55 19.
    Tyres look not bad at all, deeper grooves perhaps more kms
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

I recently fitted the General Grabbers - 265 70 16 and paid R 8 250 fitted for 5 tyres.

I am not saying these are the only choice because I have them but they are certainly working well for me, I must say that my experience is limited to sand trails down the West Coast and some gravel travel...

I use the car daily and the I have no problems with the tyres for that purpose.

Tyre size change I cant comment on specifically for your vehicle but the small change I made has had no negative impact on my vehicle...

Cheers and good luck
    Last edited by Christob; 2017/04/21 at 01:26 PM.
    Ford Ranger
    Double cab
    Stock standard (for now)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christob For This Useful Post:

Be prepared to do 2km/l less with the bigger tyres!
    2003 Grand Cherokee 2.7 Limited. 2" lift. Cat-less. EGR defeat.
    Echotech3 with kitchen sink.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Be prepared to do 2km/l less with the bigger tyres!
    Remember, with the higher gearing you cover a bigger distance than before, but the speedo will not reflect this.

I fitted Conti 235/85/16's to my old 280D. Fuel consumption has not changed enough to notice, but the slightly different gearing favours lower revs all over. This is quite nice on the rather hi-revving 280's. Maybe they do not look all that aggressive, but the ride improves on bad roads.
    Eggie.

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Especially those who claim they need R4 Billion planes for own use.
    - Edward Langley.

The Grabbers are VERY nice tyres. Had them on a DC Cruiser. Quiet, and VERY good grip. For some reason those things grip like a MT in mud........dunno why. They "throw way"mud like magic.
    I have Duellers on my Hilux, en ek bid die blerrie goed glad. Ek was al lus om te beginne donuts gooi dat ek net Grabbers kan opsit.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

I stand under correction but is n't 255 the parameter to measure tread eg wider than 245 ? ; you mention the second parameter 70 being the same ; I use 245 /75 in 15 "rims ; GY wranglers at/sa ; very happy with their performance ; quite and surprisigly good on soft sand and gravel roads ; also for wet tar @ change of the season dry to rainy season ;

Quote Originally Posted by Jayefe View Post
    I stand under correction but is n't 255 the parameter to measure tread eg wider than 245 ? ; you mention the second parameter 70 being the same ; I use 245 /75 in 15 "rims ; GY wranglers at/sa ; very happy with their performance ; quite and surprisigly good on soft sand and gravel roads ; also for wet tar @ change of the season dry to rainy season ;

Not sure what exactly you are referring to, but yes 255 would be the width. (yes wider than 245). 70 is the sidewall height in percentage to the width. (70% of the width)..
    So in your size the width is 245, sidewall height is 75% of 245 i.o.w. about 183 high...

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    4.2TD & 4.5GRX (GU/Y61)

I've got the General Grabber ATs in 265x65R17 on the 280 Frontier now.

Very nice, quiet and comfortable tyre.
    On corrected kms, I have no increase in consumption. I'm still getting 10km/l to 10.5km/l.
    No loss in power.
    They have very good wet and dry tar manners.
    Do note that the Grabbers are only Passenger spec, so, altho they are good on sand and gravel and better than expected for an AT in mud, they are NOT as strong as LT spec tyres.

Swambo drives the van daily and I wanted safe tyres for the family.

My shortlist was the Scorpions and the Grabbers. (Michelin is too expensive) If we continued staying in the city centre, I would have taken the Scorpions. (PS Some Scorpions are available in LT spec). Since we moved out to the edge of rural, we do gravel daily and I felt the Grabbers had a better thread for that. I am happy with my choice.

I have also seen very high power 4x4s (e.g. Super-charger, V8 RRS's) who's owners are very happy with the Grabbers' on and off road capabilities.

My research has show that the Scorpions are a better(safer/more grip) tar tyre than the Grabbers. It however then drops on gravel and wet gravel performance.
    The Hankooks have had a lot of praise sung on this forum for offroad ability, but I was worried about on-tar performance. (Remember Swambo is driving)

For a couple of months I were using Dunlop AT22 direct of a Landcruiser. What a joke on wet gravel. Even with diff-lock on, they would freely spin up even 3rd gear, high range. NO grip what-so-all!

Originally I used BFG ATs. I generally had better service from them others on the forum, but do not show them rain, especially offroad. They just go hide in the corner and you are guaranteed stuck. In the Cape mountains, that is just an liability.
    Back when I had the BFGs, I got a 2nd set of rims with Kumho KL71 muds for when I want to go play. If you wont on seriously wild tyre. get them. The tyres are as strong as oxen and grips like velcro to the worst possible track conditions. They show no mercy to mud! After many years now, not one stone cut either. They are not more noisy than the BFG ATs and they look cool too.
    Last edited by RogueFrontier; 2017/04/28 at 10:08 AM.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Hi R F,

Any advantage in going for 17in instead of 16's? I want a tyre with better on tar performance. I don't know what to go for, my rims are 16in.

Lots of good reports for Pirelli's but they are so hard to find so it won't be them. Same with Michelins, no stock and they can't even confirm when they are expected so laughed them off too. what a joke these suppliers are.

I also like the Grabbers but thought they were not as good on tar braking, noise and wet performance?

Also want to get some muds but want to try 235 85 16. I have 1 unused KL71 245 75 15 Khumo and now I have 16in rims on the Frontier so it is useless to me. Jaco likes Maxxis Bighorns, what do you think of them?

I also like the Grabbers but thought they were not as good on tar braking, noise and wet performance?

Have got a set of Grabbers on the Pajero SWB and they are quiet, definitely most capable in rainy conditions, and can take some punishment too, did some serious rock climbing with them and pressures were dropped to .8 bar without cutting any sidewalls.
    Did the Tankwa Karoo earlier this year and despite this road being called the tyre eater, got through without a hitch.
    You can safely consider these as replacement.
    Regards,
    Johan
    Johan
    Pajero SWB 2015
    Live Life!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coetzee Kuilsrivier For This Useful Post:

Any reason why the Hankook Dynopro ATM are not recommended? The reviews seem good and I personaly know guys that swear by them 🤔

Hi Johan,

If you look on Errol's tyres there seem to be 2 Grabber tread patterns? Is there any difference between the two or is one just a new version? Which one do you have?

What is a reasonable km expectation on Grabbers?

I have also looked at the Hankooks but don't know enough about this subject and the confidence to go for them. They don't ever seem to come out on top of the reviews but they are always there or there abouts.
    Last edited by Frontierfan; 2017/05/11 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontierfan View Post
    Hi R F,

Lots of good reports for Pirelli's but they are so hard to find so it won't be them. Same with Michelins, no stock and they can't even confirm when they are expected so laughed them off too. what a joke these suppliers are.
    Strange you say this. When I blew 2 muds in KTP, both Uppington and tyre places on the route all had Scorpions but no BFG. When I changed on the Gen 2 Pajero, they were easy to source and again when I did the Gen 3. Good all round tyre, balanced well and for what we do a good choice.

Edit ... Thomas tyres gave me the best deal.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2017/05/11 at 09:16 AM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Pud View Post
    Any reason why the Hankook Dynopro ATM are not recommended? The reviews seem good and I personaly know guys that swear by them 🤔
    I have 265/70/17 Hankooks, they don't come in LT spec in this size, and I have had at least 6 punctures, through the tread in 44000kms. I will be going back to BFG's.

There was a recent letter in SA 4x4 magazine where a guy was complaining bitterly about them on his Disco.
    Last edited by mcowell; 2017/05/11 at 12:39 PM.
    Malcolm
    Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner

Thumbs up Re: I'm going to have to change tyres soon. Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5336 View Post
    I'd go with the AT/SA or Pirellis personally.

Whatever is cheapest.

Ive read that the other two mentioned are very soft.

Personally had great service from my AT/SAs and will also soon be going 245 to 265

I would go for AT/SA or Duelers. Best value for money in the long run...
    Makadas
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4 Auto

I ask
    What is "soft"

Went to 2 dealers in Durban yesterday
    Both have Pirellis in stock

Had 245/75/16 as last set (BFG AT 115k kms), now on 235/85/16 (BFG AT KO2). Also had std 245/70/16 (Bridgestone AT 694, kaput after 60k kms, downright terrible) and 255/70/16 (Gyear Wrangler donated new from a Jeep - replaced after 40k kms, tread chipped off to pieces) before that. 235/85/16 best out of the 4 imo, same engine as yours. Depends what you want to achieve (diff height gain, wider, narrower, traction in sand mud rocks, or plain just for looks), for me it's 50/50 on/off-road, commute and leisure. Power loss and consumption increase - for sure yes no arguing that, it's always a trade-off for fitting non-std size tires........good luck. Buy the best you can afford, it's all that keeps you stuck on the road safely..........
    '01 Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4
    63mm Bosal downpipe/Powerflow exhaust system
    2"lift
    Rancho S9000 front shocks
    Camil coil-over rear shocks
    TJM alu front bumper
    Madman EGT/water level monitor
    Extreme Lights Night Raider LED spots
    BFG KO2 AT 235/85/16

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast