Discovery 1 Disco 1 300TDI Engine Advice - Replacement engine wanted - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Disco 1 300TDI Engine Advice - Replacement engine wanted

Update...

- complete second hand engine coming in from a LR shop in Sommerset West on Thurs/Fri. They're doing compression testing today, blanking off the EGR for me, fitting on silicone hoses and shipping it over
    - the mech who's working on my van is actually digs landies - he drives a D3 TDV6 and he's happy to work with me
    - we're having the clutch checked as advised (thanks)
    - I'm sending the exhaust manifold off to powerkote in CT tomorrow
    - The recon turbo on my original engine is being sent of to Turboclinic in PE to be re-engineered for a bigger impeller (thanks hgbosch)

The person I spoke to at Turbo Clinic advised not to ceramic coat the turbo because he said there is a chance of cracking (of the coating I imagine) and potentially damaging the turbo - but I'm still keen to have this done - but it would have to wait for now.

The guy who is arranging the engine has a little black box, but as far as I understand the lbb does not have a monitor for exhaust gas temp. which is one of the more important readings - so I'm still going for the madman unless anyone advises differently.

Does anyone know of the company in George that does the drop in replacement custom high flow intercooler for the D1 Tdi? I remember seeing an advert around here a while ago.

I'm also going to rebuild the current engine with the blown cylinder head. Going to get it done properly. New cylinder head with port matching to the manifold. It would be really cool to get one of those gas flowed heads that Turner Engineering sells in the UK. Change the sleeves and maybe new pistons if the current ones don's pass the tests.

That's all for now.

Good luck, sounds like you're on the right track.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Update 3

The engine is finally on the way. How long has it been!?

Here's whats happened since my last post...

- the compression test result did not go so well so the cylinder head was sent off the head to the engineers
    - meanwhile, my bigger core inter-cooler from Chris at Cirrus Coolers arrived. The standard was a 60 mm core and the new one is 76 mm. (He offers a 130 mm core but that requires modifications that I'm not capable of doing so I settled with the 76 mm). Quick and professional service from Chris
    - Turbo Clinic in PE increased the intake of the turbo by 3 mm and outlet by 4 mm. Good service from them.
    - Turbo housing and manifold sent to Powerkote in CT. Frank also provided excellent service.
    - I decided to have the cylinder head and valve heads ceramic coated as well. Seeing that the cylinder head on these machines are so prone to damage from heat, I figured ceramic coating would offer some protection
    - The shop in Somerset West fitted on reconditioned injectors and put in a set of new rings as well at no extra charge.
    - EGR blanked off
    - Madman EMS2 system (minus oil pressure which was about ~R1800 more) arrived
    - original radiator sent off for cleaning
    - Terrafirma medium duty shocks, coils and steering dampener ordered. This will arrive with the engine. The originals gave me way too much sway on the windy dirt roads.

I might as well say that the shop in somerset west is Pon Steyn 4x4 and the person (Alex) I'm working with has been providing outstanding service. The boss asked him to make sure everything is 100% before the engine goes out. They did the rings, injectors, EGR & new gasket at no extra cost. I only paid for the additional engineering work on the head. Also gave me a really good price on the engine and on the Terrafirma kit. They even gave me a window mechanism for the passenger side at no charge.

Now it looks like I have a pretty much rebuilt engine.

I think the engine arrives on Mon/Tue to us in the EC.

I downloaded the info on how to tune the fuel pump to compensate for increased boost. I think it was hgbosch who suggested changing the oil after 500km then using a standard 20w50 oil for the first 5000km and then moving into one of the better quality synthetics.

The last two things are:
    - better air filter. I read that the ITG is an improvement and it can also be cleaned and reused according to their website.
    - better exhaust...I'm looking for a SS straight pipe

Should all of this go well, I will remove the back seats and build a bed with a massive drawer system under it. I see that when the front seats are pushed all the way to the front and folded over, one can build a pretty cool bed at the back. I'll have to figure out a baby seat mounting. As I write this, my little critter is watching Step into Liquid and I'm thinking about our first surf trip!

Thanks everyone once again for all the support. I'll keep updating as things progress.

I would not use a foam reusable filter on an off-road vehicle. Period and full stop.

A Donaldson cyclonic type filter will provide enough air at all air flow volumes.

There are enough air filter evaluations that support this view.

Thanks for that Jelo. The brand you suggested is local, which I like.

I'm curious about learning more about why. Do you have any references or thoughts on why the foam filter is not appropriate? I'm sure I read somewhere that hgbosch suggested the foam filter. Is this subject a matter of debate and preference?

We have to drive through about 10 km of dirt road to get to our place so there's lots of dust. The van does have a snorkel.

Quote Originally Posted by wunluv View Post
    We have to drive through about 10 km of dirt road to get to our place so there's lots of dust. The van does have a snorkel.
    A foam filter cannot handle extreme conditions. It just cannot filter dust particles as well as good cyclonic paper filter. In the end, it's your choice.

The 5kW you gain is hardly worth the risk.

Update 4

The engine has arrived last week all nicely packaged on a crate! Finally.

I've got lots of homework now to put together a list of maintenance tasks I need done on the vehicle. I'm thinking of getting the boxes pulled out as well so we can check all the seals and hoses. After investing all this time and money, best to do things the right way. I've got the workshop manual and a long list from other posts on this and other forums. I'm putting it together into a check list so the mech doesn't get overwhelmed. He's always overworked and running around all over the place. I'm in no hurry - but I do want everything done properly.

Tomorrow I'm off to Jbay/Humansdorp to look for the recommended oils for engine, boxes and diffs. I'm also going to order some of that Poly TFE from Landyluvver.

Mammoth job but the reward is having a vehicle that you know and trust once it's all done.

What is the history of the new motor, how did the guy in Somerset West come to have 2 client's vehicles to strip for the engines?

Quote Originally Posted by wunluv View Post
    Thank you both for the worthy advice.

I would go the way of a rebuild of the current engine if I could afford another 6-8 weeks of downtime. The vans already been in the shop for over 3 weeks. This would mean I have to send my current engine off to the engineers for rebuilding a complete engine - as in fitting on the injectors, fuel pump, turbo etc. I'll keep this as an option if I can find someone to do this at a reasonable fee that located between here and PE.

Thanks for the resources Jelo. I never thought of this one. I'm definitely going to look into it and follow up with the leads you provided.
    Hi wunluv

get the 300Tdi to Landyworld in George and get them to rebuild the engine for you. I sold my D1 ES 300Tdi 2 years ago with 380'000km on the clock unopened and she is still going strong.

As for the rebuild do:

1. Fit new sleeves with new standard size pistons

2. If you are lucky the crank can be polished, otherwise cut to 1st. undersize

3. New head

4. Get a hybrid turbo made up it will transform your rig

5. Get the radiator and oil cooler inspected and professionally cleaned internally.

Good luck!
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjecta.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

How much are new cylinder heads for these engines and are they after market parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    How much are new cylinder heads for these engines and are they after market parts?
    Think about 8k for a AGM ( name might be wrong )if remember correct bare head, good heads and is what I put on
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.003, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

These heads are made in Spain and I never had any trouble in 37 jobs btw it is MAC

Quote Originally Posted by annette View Post
    These heads are made in Spain and I never had any trouble in 37 jobs btw it is MAC
    Actually AMC.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Actually AMC.
    Think what he ment was the MAC is mechanic that is the problem with most head jobs
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.003, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2