Carma base or Stretcher?

Default Carma base or Stretcher?

Hi,

I have decided to replace our inflatable mattress. Not because of leaks, but for comfort and making better use of available tent space.

I have made up my mind to go for the Carma Quip self inflating mattresses. I think they are a good compromise between comfort and saving space, as foam mattresses take up huge amounts of space when folded. They also seem to be getting very good reviews in terms of quality and service.

My dilemma is the decision whether to use them on stretchers or the Carma Base bed. I know that a lot has been written on the pros and cons of stretchers and every other type of camp bed. But I cant seem to find feedback on someone who has had experience using both a stretcher and a Carma base with an inflatable mattress.

Unfortunately I am based in Pretoria, and viewing or testing the carma bed is not available in a store. Is there anyone who has used both a stretcher and carma base that will be able to provide a direct comparison?

My pros and cons of each (in theory):

Stretcher Pros:

Price when compared to Carma base (I'll buy the Natural Insticts Heavy Duty)
    Weight around 9kg
    Quick to set up

Stretcher Cons:
    Sagging effect of the canvas;
    Losing usable sleeping area due to frame
    Cannot easily be added together as double bed (I'm not considering a double stretcher)
    Comfort?

Carma base Pros:
    Packed size smaller than stretcher by about 30cm in length
    Completely flat and level surface for mattress
    Two beds can easily be used as a double
    Comfort?
    Supporting a locally developed and manufactured product

Carma base Cons:

Price when compared to NI Heavy duty stretcher
    Weight around 13kg
    Assembly time? Loose components?
    Is it sturdy?

Decisions, decisions...

Default Re: Carma base or Stretcher?

Hi Morne,

I have 2x Carma Quip mattresses that we use regularly. I am seriously impressed with them and can highly recommend. I made the mistake of buying heavy duty stretchers for them and ended up only using the stretchers once. They are way more comfortable directly on the floor, which leads me to assume that the will be equally comfortable on the Carma base. If I could do it over, I would rather purchase the base, despite the fairly high price.

Hope this helps.

mornesm I cannot help you with the comparison, but just so you know, although you can roll up the CarmaQuip mattress they are still quite bulky - I don't have mine with me now but can measure it for you tonight - I would guess though about 1m x 30cm. Otherwise very comfortable to sleep on.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

To add re comfort on the ground - we also switched from inflatable to carmaquip recently for a faster set-up and pack. We used them 16 days straight on the ground and never one night's uncomfortable sleep. Drawback is it's low as you sit down and you sit flat on the ground which might be an issue for some.

We spread a tarp on the groundsheet inside the tent under the mattresses for extra protection as we did with the inflatables. Keep them together with a fitted double sheet (a double for extra depth mattress size fits well).

Although we're on the short side we bought large for the extra width and are glad we did. Also, the additional length means if the camp site slopes slightly and we slide down during the night our feet are still on the mattresses

Regards
    Last edited by Grise; 2017/03/16 at 01:51 PM.
    Janine
    2009 Jimny
    Transfer case and Radial cup protection
    VPU - rear wheel arches
    Packing System & Roofrack
    Geolander AT's,
    Airbags & EFS shocks

2010 Ford Bantam XLT 1.6 - Sold
    1981 Ford Cortina - but it went forever! Until stolen

We have another brand, same principle, with very strong velcro on the sides so they can be linked together.

Alos bought them fro space saving and comfort and have never purchased a better sleeping arrangement in my life....

If saving space is an option, why add the base to the setup? Then you are back at square one?

Straight on the ground works perfectly, and leaves extra headroom in the tent, so no tent sides against head or shoulders at night.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    mornesm I cannot help you with the comparison, but just so you know, although you can roll up the CarmaQuip mattress they are still quite bulky - I don't have mine with me now but can measure it for you tonight - I would guess though about 1m x 30cm. Otherwise very comfortable to sleep on.
    Thanks - Yes I guess that rolled up they would be the width of the matress - Around 70cm long. But I estimate that two of them will more or less take up the same volume as a folded 3-div foam matress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmedic View Post
    If saving space is an option, why add the base to the setup? Then you are back at square one?

Straight on the ground works perfectly, and leaves extra headroom in the tent, so no tent sides against head or shoulders at night.
    Thanks - Adding a base/stretcher makes getting up more comfortable, and also provides space for storing bags and boxes under the bed, freeing up floor space. Headroom is not really a problem in the tent.

Mate of mine dragged one of these along on a recent trip

http://www.takealot.com/oztrail-anyw...n/PLID28070109

except his was a double or a queen ?

must admit was a very nice piece of kit and my choice if we went the ground tent route. Set up was sweet, just like a little instant gazebo. The inflatable goes inside a cover so no chance of rolling off or sliding around. Easy to inflate as the cover keeps it in place. Packed away nicely in a bag with wheels and has all the advantages mentioned above.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (Sold)

We have had Carma Quip mattresses since 2011 and we have camped for over a month using them on one trip. They have been well used and will last for many years to come.
    In 2012, Swambo broke her ankle so I bought the Oztent stretchers for CKGR. They had enough padding so we did not need the mattresses.

The stretchers are just as bulky as the mattresses just a lot heavier.
    When we got back we sold the stretchers because of the extra weight.

We have just bought 2 of the large Carma Quip mattresses to use when my son and wife from the UK go camping with us.
    I would recommend the Carma Quip self inflating mattresses every time, even though getting up from ground level takes a bit more effort.

My2cw
    Brian Coleman
    2002 Hilux Raider 2,7i S/C 4x4 + Canopy Caravan
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara Dune 2,4 M/T

Any Namibians know where to get the Carmaquip mattresses in Namibia?
    1999 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0 V6 SWB

2012 VW Jetta 1.4 TSI

Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    Any Namibians know where to get the Carmaquip mattresses in Namibia?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they do ship to Namibia...

Thank you all for the replies.

So far no one seem to have much complaints on the matresses. I have returned my newly bought heavy duty stretchers. I am taking a leap of faith and ordered the Carma bed bases with the matresses. Now eagerly awaiting my order...

Thanks!

Great stuff :-)

Please let us know how the Carma base works for you.

I have 4 of the carma quip matresses and very happy with them. Always use them directly on the ground.

I only found two cons and that is they do take up more space than my previous beds (air matresses) and also take longer to roll up and pack away.
    2010 Nissan Navara 4L V6 Doublecab 4x4 manual with EFS suspension and Bashplate - SWAMBO
    2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.3L 4X4 with GobiX kit and then some - MINE

Quote Originally Posted by mornesm View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they do ship to Namibia...

Thanks - they do indeed. I got mine yesterday. Absolutely brilliant service and seems like a quality product
    1999 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0 V6 SWB

2012 VW Jetta 1.4 TSI