Ithala Doornkraal Campsite - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Ithala Doornkraal Campsite

Peter, the road isn't that steep going down to Ithala?

Talking about driving, out of interest, you are going to Hluhluwe via which route? Magudu and then Mkhuze or through Nongoma and then Hlabisa to Mtuba?

If I had the weight of a trailer behind my vehicle, I might very well elect to use low range, too.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    If I had the weight of a trailer behind my vehicle, I might very well elect to use low range, too.
    Peter has a light trailer or so it seemed when I saw them, also the road down is tar if I remember correctly but I might be mistaken.

Regardless, just thought I'd ask, no worries.

Road down is tar yes. Just watch out for cattle going down, community have moved in next to the reserve main gate and are grazing their cattle there. They often herd them up and down the road to louwsburg

Evening,
    I went down and up with the Echo 4 and my 2.5 Ranger.
    Contacted them up front and the comment was that no road or heavy caravans are allowed (they could not define heavy).

Used 4H, could feel the Echo 4 braking as we went down.
    Up started off in 4H and switched to 4L about halfway before the one corner - decided to go around in a slower mode.

Pics: At the gate, Campsite, Sad departure.

Edit : Loaded the Echo 4 => approx 900kg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4073 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	568.4 KB 
ID:	460303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4080 (1024x623).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	493.9 KB 
ID:	460304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4251 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	634.8 KB 
ID:	460305  
    Last edited by Danie S; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:29 PM.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop, net jammer ek moet werk om te oorleef
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - bos en kamp tyd
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met bietjie ekstra krag (Verkoop)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

Love Ithala.

Just need to use lots of tick repellent. Worst place for pepper ticks that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post

Just need to use lots of tick repellent. Worst place for pepper ticks that I can think of.
    Tabard/ Peaceful Sleep in stick form, applied on the edge all around your shoe/ boot, on the top of same and also on the edge of socks and trousers or pants. Used it for a long time in Mkhuze when I did field patrols on foot, works a charm.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    Evening,
    I went down and up with the Echo 4 and my 2.5 Ranger.
    Contacted them up front and the comment was that no road or heavy caravans are allowed (they could not define heavy).

Used 4H, could feel the Echo 4 braking as we went down.
    Up started off in 4H and switched to 4L about halfway before the one corner - decided to go around in a slower mode.

Pics: At the gate, Campsite, Sad departure.

Edit : Loaded the Echo 4 => approx 900kg
    I guess it depends on the mood of the day or something because on my booking papers it states "NO CARAVANS" - no reference to "heavy" or not.
    Thanks also to Riaan for the tick info.

The main reason for using low range going down is to spare my brake pads!! However it is very steep although good tar.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Talking about driving, out of interest, you are going to Hluhluwe via which route? Magudu and then Mkhuze or through Nongoma and then Hlabisa to Mtuba?
    I was actually speaking about a day trip from False Bay to Hluhluwe for those interested so that would just be back accross the N2 via the village I guess?
    Going up we were thinking of via Mkuze but you have raised an interesting alternative.
    What is the route like via Nongoma etc.? With passing through the park it may be too long time wise to get to the campsite and set up, or not?
    What are the road conditions along that route should we decide to return that way? (If you know.)
    I just love you intimate knowledge of the area and it's history, flora and fauna.
    Thanks, Peter
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Awesome campsite, I got down there in a Mazda String 1.3 in my 20s (Broken leg and all), the road was good, not sure why they don't allow caravans, theres no doubt an offroad caravan/trailer can get down there though.
    Last edited by qoda; 1 Week Ago at 08:05 AM.
    Life's too short to drive boring...
    -------------------------------------
    2011 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (iNyathi)
    2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE (Pepper)
    1994 Pajero 3.0 V6 (Ruby)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I was actually speaking about a day trip from False Bay to Hluhluwe for those interested so that would just be back accross the N2 via the village I guess?
    Going up we were thinking of via Mkuze but you have raised an interesting alternative.
    What is the route like via Nongoma etc.? With passing through the park it may be too long time wise to get to the campsite and set up, or not?
    What are the road conditions along that route should we decide to return that way? (If you know.)
    I just love you intimate knowledge of the area and it's history, flora and fauna.
    Thanks, Peter
    The road from Nongoma is tarred AFAIK. Certainly the section from Hlabisa through the GR is very good tar as it is a provincial road and not a park road. Just go a bit slower for the animals. But then you come out at Matubatuba.

Not sure about the section from Louwsberg to Nongoma.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian.McM For This Useful Post:

Peter, I would not use the Nongoma route while on holiday and trailer in tow as the town is a mess ( you drive through a section of it and through the outskirts) and is prone to unpleasantness like strikes, taxi violence etc. Rather go via Mkhuze.

Going up, past Mkhuze take the Candover turnoff on LHS about 10km ( ?) past the Jozini turnoff. Gravel road +-30km -I am useless at remembering distances! - which will bring you to the R66 which connects Phongolo with Nongoma. Turn left to Nongoma and then Louwsburg turnoff to R69 is on RHS not to far from there.

The Candover road used to be called the "Rooi rante pad" - from the Berea Red clay soil found there I assume. Quite a fun section of gravel when it has rained for more than two days - it gets slippery like Lux soap

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Peter, I would not use the Nongoma route while on holiday and trailer in tow as the town is a mess ( you drive through a section of it and through the outskirts) and is prone to unpleasantness like strikes, taxi violence etc. Rather go via Mkhuze.

Going up, past Mkhuze take the Candover turnoff on LHS about 10km ( ?) past the Jozini turnoff. Gravel road +-30km -I am useless at remembering distances! - which will bring you to the R66 which connects Phongolo with Nongoma. Turn left to Nongoma and then Louwsburg turnoff to R69 is on RHS not to far from there.

The Candover road used to be called the "Rooi rante pad" - from the Berea Red clay soil found there I assume. Quite a fun section of gravel when it has rained for more than two days - it gets slippery like Lux soap
    The previous time I'd travelled, I'd opted for the tar road to Pongola, and tar back down to Louwsburg, as the going is slower on the gravel, and although less in distance, more so in time. It was also a bit stressful as I was pushing for time, and there are many blindrises on the gravel.
    If you have time to spare and are not in a hurry, as one should be on a holiday, then I'd take the gravel cutaway.
    It's not leaking oil, it's sweating power!
    facebook.com/AadilAdamLandscapePhotography

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Photokid For This Useful Post:

Hi Gents,

(Especially) This time of the year I would avoid the Candover road or "Rooi Rante Pad" as Riaan stated. The first section from Jozini side is badly corrugated and sidewall cuts are fairly common on the loose and stoney surface. Besides one place where there is an epic view of Jozini in the distance you really gain nothing versus travelling via Pongola - except dust and lots of it. Because the going is so slow on this road your travel time via Pongola to Louwsburg will only be slightly more and you still have beautiful scenery. If it has been graded very recently it may be a different matter but I highly doubt it.

Anyway - it remains God's own Country.

Enjoy your trips.

Mooi bly,

Jaco

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Agreed, take the tar road via Pongola
    red wine and nature are my hobbies

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3