Trip from Cape Town up to Kleinzee

Default Trip from Cape Town up to Kleinzee

Hi All

Hope I can get some advice, me and my wife is planning a trip up to kleinzee for easter weekend, and I need to a bit of advice on what too look out for and what to keep handy on my triton for the trip. We will be driving up my sister in law first that live in koingaas and then from there to kleinzee the next day. Advice that I have received so far is to take a extra spare wheel with as the gravel roads there chew up tires apparently, I currently have Duelers AT's on my triton, will they survive the gravel roads up there?, someone also told me the best way to get to koingaas coming from cape town will be to turn off towards Hondelikp baai just as you pass through Garies and drive the gravel road pass hondelikpbaai and then follow it to Koingaas, they say it is quite a scenic route as well and I'm all for it. This is my first time taking a trip up to the northern cape so excuse me for asking so many questions, My wife grew up there, but that was also years and years ago. Also what I want to know is, is there enough petrol stations on route from cape town to there that will have 50ppm diesel, I have learnt my lesson the hard way trying to run 500ppm, injectors aren't cheap. I'll rather drive a 210l drum with that I can fill with 50ppm here in cape town before hitting the road.

Thank you in advance, it always good to here what everyone else have experienced on the same routes.
    2008 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 Di-D 4x4

Default Re: Trip from Cape Town up to Kleinzee

Hi Renier

Was in that area over December, stayed at Noup on my way back from Nambia.

The road between Koiingnaas and Kleinzee was a good tar road.

The gravel road between Hondeklipbaai and Garies was a bit corrugated in places, but otherwise not really bad. We didn't have any issues with tyres or punctures.

Most of the towns on the way should have 50ppm. Should probably fill up at Garies, I don't think that there are fuel stations at Hondeklipbaai or Kleinzee.
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB GLX
    [SOLD] 1998 Mitsubishi Pajero 2800 SWB A/T

"I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them".
    Mark Twain

Renier, I'm sure your post brought a wry smile to some people's faces
    You are not going to the Outback! Have a look on the map and look at the distances. And 50 ppm diesel is not that strange an animal nowadays anymore. And a 2.5 Triton runs quite nicely on 500ppm, I did it many times. Enjoy the trip, it is one the more interesting parts of the world.
    To achieve greatness, stop asking for permission!

Kleinzee has fuel, diesel as well, not sure about 50 ppm. I went through there in Aug last year.

Another option, if you have the time, is to travel along the coast through the Namaqua Nat Park from Groenrivier to Hondeklipbaai. I did it north to south. There are a few sandy spots to keep you honest, but you vehicle is more than capable. Right next to the sea. I posted pics in

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...t=#post3398017

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Awesome, Thank you for everyone's advice, well then I guess I don't have much to worry about other than picking nice scenic routes. From Garies upwards I will just make sure that if I see a fuel station with 50 pm that I fill up, from previous long distance trips that I have done around the western cape with the triton I managed to get about 700km off a tank. Will definitely try Namaqua Nat Park route, thank you for that tip Merwe, and that is also why I rather ask questions on here, somewhere someone will reply with a route that you would have never knew about.
    Last edited by Renierjvv; 2017/03/02 at 02:11 PM.

More Renier.

Ek het self in Koingnaas grootgeword. Ons het daai Garies grondpad asook ander met normale sedans gery. Kan nie onthou in my 20jaar daar of ons ooit papwiele gehad het nie. Ry maar net soos n normale mens en hou sy wiele in die pad.

Willeperdehoek pas is so effens n ander storie indien jy daarlangs sou wou ry.

Ander opsie sou wees om Springbok-Komaggas oor te ry. Dan sien jy die Spektakel pas en ry die minste grondpad.

Wat brandstof aanbetref, Koingnaas het n klein vulstasie wat slegs sekere tye oop is. Moontlikheid vir 50ppm is goed. Anders moet Kleinzee darem diesel he. As jy onseker is, vat n jerry vol diesel saam net vir ingeval.

Die belangrikste is om dit te geniet.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Ja wat, die paaie in daai geweste eet beslis nie bande nie - ek het jare lank daar gewerk en kan onthou van een papwiel wat ons vinnig met 'n plug reggemaak het! Daai area is lankal makgemaak...
    1998 2.8D DC Hilux, OME, F & R lockers, 31" Hankook Dynapro's with 4.875 ratios
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, dead standard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:

I have to agree with Merwe here, the road through Namaqua NP is lovely, very relaxed driving.

Entering from Hondeklipbaai heading to Groenrivier the road was quite corrugated so you may want to drop your tire pressure for that section simply for a more comfortable ride. If you continue past Groenrivier there are a few sandy patches, one about 2KM long but you are forewarned by a little sign post so you know when you are going to hit them. This area is one of my absolute favourites.

We refueled in Koningnaas late in the afternoon.

Enjoy the trip
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckzoo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Renier, I'm sure your post brought a wry smile to some people's faces
    You are not going to the Outback! Have a look on the map and look at the distances. And 50 ppm diesel is not that strange an animal nowadays anymore. And a 2.5 Triton runs quite nicely on 500ppm, I did it many times. Enjoy the trip, it is one the more interesting parts of the world.
    What brought a wry smile to my face is a man aged 28 saying that his wife grew up in that area "years and years ago"

Have fun Renier! If you do the West Coast trail you will have to reduce tire pressure quite seriously, so you will need a compressor.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

Talking Re: Trip from Cape Town up to Kleinzee

Baie Baie Dankie vir almal se advies, ek kan regtig nie meer wag nie, van die foto's wat ek sovÍr al gesien het lyk dit regtig spectacular, Ek gaan met merwe se advies gaan om deur die natuur reservaat kus langs op te ry van groen revier se kant af, klaar besig om al die tools te kry sos 'n Kompresor en 'n paar goed. Ek sukkel net om bietjie meer inligting oor die roete deur die natuur reservaat self te kry, my skoon pa wat self in daai wÍreld vir baie jare gebly het en daar op die myn gewerk het, het my so bietjie afgewys van die roete af deur die natuur reservaat oor hy bang is ons gaan vas val in die sand, hy het vir my gemention dat daar op hondelikpbaai se kant toe 'n lang stretch is wat net duine en baie los sand is, as daar moontlike paaie is wat ons kan weg draai voor dit sal dit awesome wees, ek wil regtig nou nie ali pad net teerpad ry nie en al daai klein intersante goedies mis nie. . Ek het myself nou al 'n paar keer gaan toets in die los sand hier in die boonste dele van Kuilsrivier, en ek kry my triton nogals goed in beheer hou op die los sand. Ons gaan vroeg ogend die 13de April hier in die kaap wegtrek dat ons so 8 uur die ogend op Garies kan stop vir ontbyt en diesel optop, en dan wil ek deur skiet groen revier toe en van daar af deur die natuur reservaat opry Koingaas toe, dan gaan ons daar by my skoon suster hulle oorslaap vir die aand en dan vroeg die volgende ogend deur ry Kleinzee toe vir die Paasnaweek waar my skoon pa hulle ook by ons gaan aansluit dan. Ek gaan nou eerlik wees en sÍ ek is nie 'n vis vang man nie, maar ek is "game" vir al die "sign seeing" wat daar is om te doen.. As enige iemand weet van must see spots, sal dit awesome wees om van te hoor.

Renier, it is really only the bit immediately north of the Bitter River which I remember to have been a small challenge through sand dunes across the road, but then again, I have not been there since 2003. As said, if your tyre pressures are kept around 1 bar, you will not have any problems whatsoever.

Enjoy it!
    1998 2.8D DC Hilux, OME, F & R lockers, 31" Hankook Dynapro's with 4.875 ratios
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, dead standard

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:

Ek kan eerlik waar die roete deur die namaqua nature reserve vir enige iemand met 'n 4x4 voorstel as 'n leke sight see en alternatiewe roete, dit was regtig nou baie leke, ons het vanogend 9uur by groen rivier ingegry en betaal vir 'n dag permit, en rustig op ons eie tyd kus langs opgery, al wat nodig is, is om jou bande so bietjie af te blaas en jy is gesort. Ons was teen 2uur weer uit an die anderkant op die hondeklipbaai pad, en het 'n hele paarkeer eers bietjie gestop en die wÍreld bekyk.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Renierjvv For This Useful Post:

EDIT- toemaar ek sien jy was voor ons daar gewees.
    Last edited by WernerDV; 2017/04/21 at 12:37 PM.
    2011 Isuzu KB300LX 4x4 E/C
    2012 Hyundai i20 Glide SWAMBO

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. Thatís why people with no sense of humor have such a strong sense of self-importance.