So my Lead Crystal battery died




Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanked: 112

    Default So my Lead Crystal battery died

    exactly 3 years after purchase.
    It was fitted as my second battery under the bonnet.
    Yes it got hot in there, but really wondering about the technology for under bonnet applications?
    I am in the process to purchase a new battery and is leaning towards this:
    http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pid=575
    Interesting that it is noted the recommended charger is the D250S because the battery needs more than 14.7 volts to charge properly, But looking at the specs of the 250 it indicates its voltage is 14.4 which is the same as what my alternator is pushing out?

    Or should I just go for a deep cycle or even a normal wet cell battery like this:

    http://www.sustainable.co.za/varta-l...e-battery.html

    or

    http://www.batterysolutions.co.za/fi...pdf?cache=5140

    Really dont know which way to go. Using the australian Traxide dual battery system where they mostly use the yellow top Optima batteries. Problem is these batteries are nearly double the price of above mentioned batteries.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,765
    Thanked: 313

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    It is a tough call for a battery to survive life under the hood of a vehicle. The crank battery is usually placed such as to get good ventilation from the outside world, plus some shielding material to protect it from engine heat sources. Not so easy for the 2nd battery.

    One approach would be to get the cheaper type of deep cycle with cells caps that allow topping up with de-ionized water from time to time, and to replace the battery when performance drops. Going for a high quality battery could also make sense, but the lead crystal is not an option for that heat. It will let you down under those conditions - as you know by now.
    Eggie.

    What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    130
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    Maybe I can help !

    http://batteriesonline.co.za/product...tery-bv-lfd60/
    R2100 VAT Included for members :-)

    Or the Optima 55AH
    http://batteriesonline.co.za/product...tery-bvo-b55l/
    R4200 VAT Included




    Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    exactly 3 years after purchase.
    It was fitted as my second battery under the bonnet.
    Yes it got hot in there, but really wondering about the technology for under bonnet applications?
    I am in the process to purchase a new battery and is leaning towards this:
    http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pid=575
    Interesting that it is noted the recommended charger is the D250S because the battery needs more than 14.7 volts to charge properly, But looking at the specs of the 250 it indicates its voltage is 14.4 which is the same as what my alternator is pushing out?

    Or should I just go for a deep cycle or even a normal wet cell battery like this:

    http://www.sustainable.co.za/varta-l...e-battery.html

    or

    http://www.batterysolutions.co.za/fi...pdf?cache=5140

    Really dont know which way to go. Using the australian Traxide dual battery system where they mostly use the yellow top Optima batteries. Problem is these batteries are nearly double the price of above mentioned batteries.
    Gabriel Erasmus


    National Distributor of Premium Batteries & Accessories
    087 021 0505 / gabriel@malinvestments.co.za
    www.batteriesonline.co.za / www.vartabatteries.co.za / www.truckbatteries.co.za / www.smartchargers.co.za

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanked: 112

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    Quote Originally Posted by batteriesonline View Post
    Maybe I can help !

    http://batteriesonline.co.za/product...tery-bv-lfd60/
    R2100 VAT Included for members :-)

    Or the Optima 55AH
    http://batteriesonline.co.za/product...tery-bvo-b55l/
    R4200 VAT Included
    Thanks a stack for the generous offer. Might just take you up on your offer.
    How much will the 75ah Varta be?
    I am in Centurion, how will I get my hands on the goodies?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    130
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    Morning !

    http://batteriesonline.co.za/product...tery-bv-lfd75/
    75AH Varta - R2450 Vat included.

    We don't normally offer FREE delivery but since you are a member here I can arrange delivery to centurion tomorrow.
    We have stock available.

    If you would like to order send me your name, address, email & tel so I can send proforma invoice.
    Once payment has been cleared I will put the battery on the truck for delivery tomorrow.

    Send to gabriel@malinvestments.co.za



    Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Thanks a stack for the generous offer. Might just take you up on your offer.
    How much will the 75ah Varta be?
    I am in Centurion, how will I get my hands on the goodies?
    Gabriel Erasmus


    National Distributor of Premium Batteries & Accessories
    087 021 0505 / gabriel@malinvestments.co.za
    www.batteriesonline.co.za / www.vartabatteries.co.za / www.truckbatteries.co.za / www.smartchargers.co.za

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    73
    Posts
    2,430
    Thanked: 481

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    A factor one should always consider is after sales service. It is for that reason that I support my local suppliers, especially with product that often calls for replacement under guarantee.

    Varta is a good choice though. We have three, of which one of the caravan batteries being one. That thing has had 5 years of punishment and still reads 13.1 when fully charged. When the fridge was still 220 volt it powered the inverter, and never missed a beat.
    *
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

    It is the same when you are stupid.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    130
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    I agree !!!

    We have depots in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Johannesburg, Durban, Rustenburg, Nelspruit so warranty claims should not be a problem wherever you are in SA and the bugger decides to die...

    Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    A factor one should always consider is after sales service. It is for that reason that I support my local suppliers, especially with product that often calls for replacement under guarantee.

    Varta is a good choice though. We have three, of which one of the caravan batteries being one. That thing has had 5 years of punishment and still reads 13.1 when fully charged. When the fridge was still 220 volt it powered the inverter, and never missed a beat.
    Gabriel Erasmus


    National Distributor of Premium Batteries & Accessories
    087 021 0505 / gabriel@malinvestments.co.za
    www.batteriesonline.co.za / www.vartabatteries.co.za / www.truckbatteries.co.za / www.smartchargers.co.za

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanked: 112

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    Quote Originally Posted by batteriesonline View Post
    Morning !

    http://batteriesonline.co.za/product...tery-bv-lfd75/
    75AH Varta - R2450 Vat included.

    We don't normally offer FREE delivery but since you are a member here I can arrange delivery to centurion tomorrow.
    We have stock available.

    If you would like to order send me your name, address, email & tel so I can send proforma invoice.
    Once payment has been cleared I will put the battery on the truck for delivery tomorrow.

    Send to gabriel@malinvestments.co.za
    Thanks, have popped you an email.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanked: 112

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    Quote Originally Posted by batteriesonline View Post
    Morning !

    http://batteriesonline.co.za/product...tery-bv-lfd75/
    75AH Varta - R2450 Vat included.

    We don't normally offer FREE delivery but since you are a member here I can arrange delivery to centurion tomorrow.
    We have stock available.

    If you would like to order send me your name, address, email & tel so I can send proforma invoice.
    Once payment has been cleared I will put the battery on the truck for delivery tomorrow.

    Send to gabriel@malinvestments.co.za
    Gabriel
    please cnfirm the dimensions of the 75ah.
    According to your site it is.
    242 x 175 x 190 mm
    which will fit.
    But on here:
    http://deltecenergysolutions.co.za/product/bv-lfd75/
    the dimensions are:
    278 (l) x 175 (w) x 190 (h) mm
    which wont fit, and I would have to go for the 60ah.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    130
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: So my Lead Crystal battery died

    Sorry about that ! Have requested the amendment on the site.

    Gremlins argghh lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Gabriel
    please cnfirm the dimensions of the 75ah.
    According to your site it is.
    242 x 175 x 190 mm
    which will fit.
    But on here:
    http://deltecenergysolutions.co.za/product/bv-lfd75/
    the dimensions are:
    278 (l) x 175 (w) x 190 (h) mm
    which wont fit, and I would have to go for the 60ah.
    Gabriel Erasmus


    National Distributor of Premium Batteries & Accessories
    087 021 0505 / gabriel@malinvestments.co.za
    www.batteriesonline.co.za / www.vartabatteries.co.za / www.truckbatteries.co.za / www.smartchargers.co.za

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •