mana pools to kafue(?) in november 2017-advice needed

Default mana pools to kafue(?) in november 2017-advice needed

Hi All - much obliged for any of your thoughts on our tentative plans leaving mana pools around nov 12 or 13th and need to be back in livingstone on eve of 21st. So 9 - 10 days, 8 -9 nights.  We are slow drivers (i.e. about an hour added on for every 4 or so hours of traks4africa" and we'd like to go to kafue (we think, but see our last question below).
    Tentative thoughts after reading posts are:
    -to ray's campsite for 1 night
    - next night kasabushi for 3 nights?
    - hippo bay 3 nights? (do we need to drive out of the park or is there a way to stay in the park and get there?
    -nanzhila 2 nights(or less - we're not certain of the expense- sounds like they might only rent out the whole campsite now?)

Nanzhila to get closer to livingstone.

1. how long would this take mana to ray's camp and where would you stay if needed to break up the drive into 2 nights)? is there a worthwhile site near chirindu that would get us closer to hook are bridge?

2.I heard they might be upgrading road from livingstone to southside of park. anyone know if that will be done by november? We'd like to know if hippo bay to livingstone could be done in reasonable time. we're stretched thin at 6 hours and 8 is the max that we'll do occasionally in pinches. We have a 7 yr old in the car.

3. any main differences between mayukuyukuu and kasabushi other than drive time? they both seem to have high ratings. and how much more drive time to mayukuykuu as opposed to staying overnight at ray's on the first night (or 2)?

4.And last - if you had 8-9 night to camp after four nights in mana pools (driven up on the binga-karoi route after 6 nights in hwange, 6 nights in CKGR, 3 nights crossing to Hwange))--what would you do - where would you go? We are not completely bound to kafue. We did go to SNLP two years ago . But I think that drive might be a bit much for us. The 100 mile construction zone nearly did us in

We live in Alaska and this is quite an undertaking for us. I don't know when we will be back. Is there a "golden" route/park that we are missing? We are not adverse either to stay longer in any place. We're just adverse to adding a lot of driving.

Appreciate any input!
    Last edited by moose2; 2017/02/26 at 02:14 AM. Reason: formatting mess

Default Re: mana pools to kafue(?) in november 2017-advice needed

Hi, moose2

1. Mana pools to Roy's camp in Kafue might be a bit too far for one day. T4A indicates 8 hours between Nyamepi and Roy's camp. You add couple of hours for crossing border at Chirundu (which is notoriously difficult) and you risk driving in the dark. Eureka camp at the southern outskirt of Lusaka would be very convenient stop for one night, roughly in the middle of this route.

2. Hippo bay to Livingstone is again quite long stretch, but doable in around 7 hours. In August 2016, we saw no indications of any road works in the southern approach to Kafue, but roads aren't that bad. Second part of that route, once you reach T1, the road is fantastic highway all the way to Livingstone.

3. We were staying in both camps and it is hard to say, which one is better. We liked them both very much. However, in Mayukuyuku, insist on riverside campsite. Those that are not at the river are simply not worth the stay there, IMHO. When we were there, all the riverside camping spaces were occupied for the first night, that is why we opted for Roy's camp for that night.

As far as driving time to Mayukuyuku compared to Roy's camp when coming from East, Mayukuyuku might only be 10 to 15 minutes shorter than Roy's camp.

4. I think Kafue fits quite nicely to your itinerary, especially if you've already been to SLNP. BTW, roadworks on Great East Road are now finished and road to Chipata is top notch.

It will be very hot in November, but I'm still green in envy....
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by moose2 View Post
    We are slow drivers (i.e. about an hour added on for every 4 or so hours of traks4africa"
    The T4A speed is not accurate. Excluding border stops, fuelling and personal pit stops, I work on 70km/hr ave on main roads and 40km/hr on dirt
    Bertie

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfuwefarmer For This Useful Post:

Have you been to Kubu Island ? If not Id stop there after CKGR.

I'd also stay longer in Mana.

And perhaps I'd go to see the bats at Kasanka but it might be a bit far off.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pfgrobler For This Useful Post:

thank you so much ortelius for the info, mfuwe farmer for the knowledgewe 're not as slow as we thought, and pfgrobler for the suggestions. we are mulling possibly mana pools an extra day or 2 -- i will look up kubu island and also the bats-- literally just read a post from someone mentioning them so am intrigued.

Then to add another possibility into the mix at trip end with less driving is skip kafue and to go from mana over to ihaha - which we loved and it is just the extra border there and back we are not so motivated on, and a ferry at that.

oh what i'd give for a couple more weeks !

-- i will look up kubu island and also the bats-- literally just read a post from someone mentioning them so am intrigued.
    Hi Moose,without trying to punt my posts, here is a trip report on the Kasanka bats. Other readers considering visiting the bat migration might also find the info handy.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...-photos/page18 from post 344.

I realize this is from 2012 but little has changed since. It seems to me a great pity to be in Zambia in November, during the peak of the bat migration and not grasp the opportunity to witness this amazing phenomenon. Camp at either Pontoon campsite (may need to book in peak season) or Kabwe campsite, easy to reach with new bridge over the river.

Some videos to whet your appetite
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3R708CNPxg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGSps-bvRQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNh2rNAqauE

Links.
    http://kasankanationalpark.com/explo...bat-migration/
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

Thanks Stan - we are seriously considering Katanka and the bats -- just a bit leeery on the driving but is sounds and looks just amazing. Seems like something we'd regret not seeing!

Hi,

Kasanka is nice place in this corner of Zambia even with some tsetse flies.I was there last November and year before.Next trip later in this year is planned....

When bats take off u will be amazed!

If you book pontoon ask for number 3.You will see sitatunga's on early morning from your camp.

Book also guided bat tour as they take you Fibwe hide <--- google.

-juha
    One word....Africa!

Hi all - just a followup to everyone - we will be going from mana pools to kasanka (overnight somewhere around lusaka), spend 3 days there, then tentatively if we have the 2 extra days we think we will be driving over to nanzhila camp or near there before we fly out from livingstone. We thought about camping in Ihaha for 2 nights instead, or Zambezi park near the falls, but the thought of a round trip border crossing just for 2 nights didn't sit well with us.The pics of the bats look pretty amazing! Will post a trip report when we return.

Hi all - just a followup to everyone - we will be going from mana pools to kasanka (overnight somewhere around lusaka), spend 3 days there, then tentatively if we have the 2 extra days we think we will be driving over to nanzhila camp or near there before we fly out from livingstone. We thought about camping in Ihaha for 2 nights instead, or Zambezi park near the falls, but the thought of a round trip border crossing just for 2 nights didn't sit well with us.The pics of the bats look pretty amazing! Will post a trip report when we return.
    hi moose2
    From Kasanka to Nanzhilla it is over a 1000 km ! So you will have to do a stopover, leaving 1 night for Nanzhilla (a wonderful place). And then more then 250 km from Nanzhilla to Lvingstone. I think this will become a very stressfull time in which you wont be able to enjoy. Be aware a lot depends on the weather. We were in Nanzhilla beginning of december and it was raining .. only way left to Dundumwezi was the cordon road, but reaching it was very slow going: needed about an hour for the 15 or so km.
    I would suggest you look for something else. Lower Zambezi comes to my mind seeing Livingstone is your end point. But I know there are people here who have better suggestions.
    Enjoy and relax, Willy.

THanks Willy! I should have prefaced that the potential 2 extra nights at end are in addition to the night we'll need to spend on the road back from kasanka. SO we'd split the drive up. However, it sounds like if it does indeed rain in November appreciably, we'd be in for quite the drive. Maybe we'll lave it up in the air until then? Does anyone else have something to recommend? Our experience at the vic falls border wasn't great and of course its quite expensive, so we're somewhat shy on spending time there at end, albeit we'd love to see the falls again. and we loved ihaha as well. is it worth it timewise to cross back and forth a border for 2 nights stay? and about hoew much extra money are we talking?

Is there a worthwhile park or other experience between kasanka and livingstone? WE're not up for spending time in lusaka either. as our kasanka booking hasnt been paid yet, we could postpone that by 2 days and stay longer in mana pools - a total of 8 days? i guess we could try taking an extra day getting to mana pools as well - planning on 3 nights between hwange and mana as it is.

Any sage advice wb greatly appreciated.