Garmin BaseCamp - Tips & Tricks - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Garmin BaseCamp - Tips & Tricks

Agreed. I finally got to trying the Google Earth patch today, and it worked first time. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

This is a great informative thread, thanks.

Just to add to taking screenshots - I recently downloaded and use a free app called Greenshot, which is much better than the deafult Windows function. You can assign special keys to what you want to capture, eg I assigned CTRL+ALT+A for capturing a rectangle of your choice. It also has it's own basic editor with which you can eg arrows to point out a special feature. It can save the images in most of the popular formats, and works on all screens if you are using more than one computer screen.

I also only recently started using basecamp, and have mastered most of the functions described above - apart from creating your own tracks from logs, for which I have no need at the moment. For daily track manipulation, I still use MapSource as it's simpler, but for the rest, I use Bascamp.
    '16 Iveco Daily 4x4 "Molly"
    '06 D3 V8 "Handsome"
    Ex '76 101FC "Hermit"
    Ex '88 110 tdi "Intethe"

Ex '96 D1 tdi "Pelepele"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

I have Base Camp and Google Earth (not Google Earth Pro) installed.

Using the "View/View in Google Earth tool used to work, but has stopped doing so. I have tried the fix described on Page 1 of this thread, but it still doesn't work.

Can anybody help?
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I have Base Camp and Google Earth (not Google Earth Pro) installed.

Using the "View/View in Google Earth tool used to work, but has stopped doing so. I have tried the fix described on Page 1 of this thread, but it still doesn't work.

Can anybody help?
    I had the same problem last week, so I just upgraded to Google Earth Pro. Its also free nowadays.

Thanks, i'll try that.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

I just tried a 'test run' tonight and it worked oK for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	437226 Now if only I knew how to rig these replies to be tidier!
    Last edited by Albert Ross; 2017/03/01 at 10:36 PM.
    Albert

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.

Still not working...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Still not working...
    Hi Peter. I am sorry that you are not coming right. Some problems that I can think of is either the path to the file is not 100% correct or maybe you missed the inverted commas that must be part of the command.

Peter,
    I may be misunderstanding your problem hence my answer above. Are you trying to overlay a past track from Garmin 'Archive' onto Google Earth?
    If so I just start GE and then on the file tab select "Open" and this brings up a window. To the right of "File name" is another box with a drop down where you can select "Gpx". Then just select the archive you wish to open and click 'open'.
    Of course if I have misunderstood then forgive the intrusion. I have not reached that page in the book yet.
    Albert

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.

Restart and everything works.

Thanks guys.

@KobusDJ

I have just been sitting here trying to plot a route into Peach Pan, and found that T4A has built in some of their track "cut-offs". I found the turn-off on Google Earth (thanks Danie), but how to get the co-ordinates onto BaseCamp? Then I remembered your Control-T post. Problem solved, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    ......... Then I remembered your Control-T post. Problem solved, thank you.
    Thank you for the Thank you.
    Kobus

HDJ81 VX

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    @KobusDJ

I have just been sitting here trying to plot a route into Peach Pan, and found that T4A has built in some of their track "cut-offs". I found the turn-off on Google Earth (thanks Danie), but how to get the co-ordinates onto BaseCamp? Then I remembered your Control-T post. Problem solved, thank you.

Hi Rod,

Could you tell me where the track "cut-offs" are that you mentioned - I am not sure I understand what you meant by this, it may be something we gave to fix on the maps?

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart
    Tracks4Africa
    lizette@tracks4africa.co.za
    +27 21 880 8660

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hi Rod,

Could you tell me where the track "cut-offs" are that you mentioned - I am not sure I understand what you meant by this, it may be something we gave to fix on the maps?

Regards

Lizette
    We had better not hi-jack this thread for that discussion. I will start a new thread in the T4A Only section a bit later.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RodS For This Useful Post:

Or just email me lizette@tracks4africa.co.za

Thanks!
    Lizette Swart
    Tracks4Africa
    +27 21 880 8660

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    View in Google Earth Problems:

From BaseCamp one can select items in your collection and then view them in Google Earth. This function is found under the view menu item. Between the upgrade to Google earth Pro and Windows 10 it happens that one are unable to go to the Google Earth from within BaseCamp. For a time it seems as if it works if you have Google Earth open already before selecting it from the View menu in BaseCamp. From Google it seems as if other users encountered the problem from versions earlier than Win 10. In the pictures I have added, I did the example from a Win 10 PC.

If you encounter this problem, the following steps should help you to solve the problem. For those who want to go to the web site were the solution was found, it can be found here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...101#post783101.

Otherwise the following sequence of pictures should help those who are not to familiar with the process.

Pictures 1-2, basically help you to get the exact path where the Google Earth executable file is.

From here you will open the command prompt in order to run the command that should solve the problem. The details for this can be found in pictures 3-4. Please make sure that the double quotes are typed as in the example
    I am still using W7 on my PC and it seems I cannot succeed with the above procedure. Done all as per instruction but still no active view in GE. Any advice I can use, please?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    Colt 2.8 tdi
    Tiguan 2.0 4-Motion
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    I am still using W7 on my PC and it seems I cannot succeed with the above procedure. Done all as per instruction but still no active view in GE. Any advice I can use, please?
    Johan, are you running the standard Google Earth or Google Earth Pro? I have not tested the procedure with the standard Google Earth. I am not sure if that could be the problem. Google Earth Pro is a free download nowadays. The other problem that I can think of is that the path to the Google Earth is not 100% correct and the inverted commas is a crucial part of the instruction. If you still do not come right, send me a PM with your number. I can ten try to help you over the phone.

I run GE Pro. Maybe the W7 the problem? Miss-call me at 0824585365 when convenient
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    Colt 2.8 tdi
    Tiguan 2.0 4-Motion
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Move (Data) from Mapsource to BaseCamp (Also Export data)

It can be quite daunting to take the step to switch from Mapsource to BaseCamp. I have mentioned it before that it took me a number of years before a complete switch over was done. It started of by doing one or two simple things in BaseCamp only to return to Mapsource that I was familiar with. If you decided to take the leap of faith, that most (if not all) that you could do in Mapsouce can be done in BaseCamp, this post is for you. It is the same, just "a bit" differently than what you are used to.

The first step would be to move your data over. This post should be able to help you with that. I believe the images will be self explanatory.

I start off by showing how I manage my data in BaseCamp.

Name:	Mapsource to Basecamp 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	441721

Create new "List Folders" and "Lists".

Name:	Mapsource to Basecamp 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	441722

Now start the import process.

Name:	Mapsource to Basecamp 3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	441723

Good luck.

I want to send maps to my Garmin - in Mapsource I used the "map tool", selected the maps, and send to GPS. I cannot find this function on Basecamp, and I believe I need something called Mapinstall. Has anybody ever used this, and if yes, can you still select which maps you want to send, or do you now have to send the entire Africa map (speaking of T4A maps), to the GPS?

Thank you!

Lizette

Mmmmmmm.... I found mapinstall and when I have select which maps I want to send to the GPS, I can only select the entire Africa (T4A) map, anybody has a bright way around this - I of course just went straight back to Mapsource, sigh....
    Last edited by Lizette Swart; Yesterday at 01:14 PM.
    Lizette Swart
    Tracks4Africa
    +27 21 880 8660

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast