Please help with approx building costs

Default Please help with approx building costs

Hi All,

Could one of our builders or QS's give estimated building costs for a garage. size 9 meter X 12 meter.
    Tilled roof, double brick and plastered inside and out.
    Cement floor and 1 x double door and 1 x single door.

I am currently busy getting the plans done and will then go out for quotes. Just a rough estimate.
    In Hillcrest KZN level ground.

Thank You
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser

Default Re: Please help with approx building costs

Quote Originally Posted by geoff norton View Post
    Hi All,

Could one of our builders or QS's give estimated building costs for a garage. size 9 meter X 12 meter.

I am currently busy getting the plans done and will then go out for quotes. Just a rough estimate.

Thank You

thats a big garage.

I just built a 50sqm garage - one wall existing, concrete roof , double roll up door with engineered beam over, coprox floor, plastered and painted, R270 k including double roll up door (not including plans which I'd had done previously)

I'd imagine R5000 per square is a minimum, but I'd expect a tile roof would push that up.

"the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

Building costs depend on area and what the builder thinks you are prepared to pay. Address you cannot change but for instance cars you can. When the builder comes make sure you have only rotten cars on your yard. Select the builder from poorer area...

I assume it will not take long before people dispute above but that is how it often works and not only on building. I have taken advantage of it and will continue to do so.

As a budget I would think Apoc's level is in the correct ball point figure. More m^2 will reduce the average price per m^2 as expensive items are spread over larger area.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    2003 Ford Fairmont
    Never drive a normal car

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

I assume for the work you do, you do not want your own selection criteria to apply nor the amounts you want to be paid for similar work.

Pay every man a fair price so that he can live and uplift himself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blazerb2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blazerb2 View Post
    I assume for the work you do, you do not want your own selection criteria to apply nor the amounts you want to be paid for similar work.

seems a bit harsh.

the guy is asking for a ball park figure for some building work, not for someone to do it for free!

"the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

My reply relates to Jokou's reply.
    Apology for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Building costs depend on area and what the builder thinks you are prepared to pay. Address you cannot change but for instance cars you can. When the builder comes make sure you have only rotten cars on your yard. Select the builder from poorer area...

I assume it will not take long before people dispute above but that is how it often works and not only on building. I have taken advantage of it and will continue to do so.

As a budget I would think Apoc's level is in the correct ball point figure. More m^2 will reduce the average price per m^2 as expensive items are spread over larger area.
    Thats very true, a guy who installed my DSTV charged me more than R1500 than a from mine in Atlantis. The area you staying in has a big impact, the cars you drive and also the house you have.

Hi All,

Thank You
    Geof, once you get the plans done you can get someone to quote on the BOQ for this and labour to build. Tumbsuck/rough estimate is a swearword in the building industry and anyone who qoutes you on the parameters you give here for the estimate will be doing yourself and him/ herself a disservice.

http://www.riaanvanwyk.co.za/

2009 Pajero 3.2DiD GLX "Boskat"
    2009 Triton 3.2DiD Clubcab 4x4 ( Now driven by the Blonde)

Quote Originally Posted by blazerb2 View Post

If you refer to my comments what I do is exactly what I say. Company which hasn't got plenty money will get lower price from me than the one who has money. Sometimes Pro Bono. Same quality of work. I am just working on design I knew the price I gave is low but for a small company and economy in general is not good.

It is well known that there are people who want to pay more than somebody else. Those who know this can use it. I have had tilers who have asked me less than an other people (less than half/m^2) just because of different address. Similar with paving...

Budget price should be conservative. Couple days back I was again trying to check average building cost per m^2. Big differences even excluding finishing levels.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    2003 Ford Fairmont
    Never drive a normal car

Would it be a hip roof?

In the cape around 5k to 7k per sq. I would suggest around 5k a sqm but 7k to be safe.
    hiux 2700i s/c 4X4 ...............
    cape town

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Would it be a hip roof?
    No Plunger, don't ask, those questions, also don't ask what the overhang is on the trusses..600?..900?..is the new structure to match existing which means is the existing roofcovering Marley or Kulu/other common brand tiles..what is the profile of those tiles..how much cutting and filling needs to be done for excavation..door frames are theywood/paintfinish or galvanised ( close to coast so QS might spec this)...etc etc.

Just give an estimate.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2017/01/11 at 09:37 PM.

http://www.riaanvanwyk.co.za/

2009 Pajero 3.2DiD GLX "Boskat"
    2009 Triton 3.2DiD Clubcab 4x4 ( Now driven by the Blonde)

Thanks for the replies guys.

As soon as I have the plans approved with all the details specifications and drawings I will request a few quotes from reputable builders.
    All I was trying to do with this request is to get some sort of idea.
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser

We are currently building a house.

I had the garage budgeted separately by a quantity surveyor as I wanted it built and completed before the house was completed.

Single double door garage with a 2x2m storeroom and a 1x2m battery room. Monopitched roof.

Just to give you an idea, the budget for the 64 sqm garage as a standalone is R 312 000. Works out to approximately R 4 800 per sqm.

8 x 11 Garage, with partitioned off 8 X 2 store.
    Corrugated Monopitch roof.
    1 x Double Door & 1 Single door

R 330k.

Did most of the work myself.
    By far the most expensive was the earth works.
    Lots and Lots of Turf, so I had the Engineer set on Overkill. Lots of Steel and Anti-Damp measures in the foundations and floor.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre N For This Useful Post:

amazing how much more expensive different areas are.

Got a quote from a builders here in alberton for a 6x6 double garage, tiled roof plus one door at the back excluding plumbing, electrical and double front door for 110k.

Decided i dont want (must read cant afford) to build it right now so had it added on the plans but at 6x10m.

We eventually decided to just do foundation, floor and ramp. When we went to look at the house the first time it was raining and there was just one big mud pile where the cars stood.

Just the foundation, filling, compacting and floor cost us an arm and a leg. Just over 20k. Slabs are expensive.
    A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.
    John Steinbeck

Just for interest sake i recently build horse stables. 18 x 6 x 3(h) ibr roof . Double walls plastered inside only! Cost including labour was R70 000
    O ja , used semi faced bricks. Looks like horse hotel. So how much do the builders pocket? 30 to 40% is acceptable to me but 100 to 200 % profit is stealing. Might be wrong!!
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

Thanks for the replies guys.

As soon as I have the plans approved with all the details specifications and drawings I will request a few quotes from reputable builders.
    All I was trying to do with this request is to get some sort of idea.
    It was a good question.I am also curious.I realize its like asking how long is a piece of string.I am curious to know how much the materials alone would be. I could do everything myself as its an easy build.I would have to get a sparky in though but could do most of his labour intensive work.like chasing and doing the conduit. But he would have to mark it out.
    Plumbing now thats harder. Its hard to find a decent plumber these days....

Most people dont realize the running cost of labour and the cost of materials. They seem to think only the builder/owner is running on the clock. And that the labourers are cheap.

The building companies have permanent very skilled labourers, admin personel and offices. So you are paying the company to build you a garage,its not a independent oke with a bakkie and 4 labourers.

As for OP,get the builders to come see you. And get atleast 3 quotes. You will get a inflated quote if you only email them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wessel_JHB View Post
    amazing how much more expensive different areas are.

Got a quote from a builders here in alberton for a 6x6 double garage, tiled roof plus one door at the back excluding plumbing, electrical and double front door for 110k.

Decided i dont want (must read cant afford) to build it right now so had it added on the plans but at 6x10m.

We eventually decided to just do foundation, floor and ramp. When we went to look at the house the first time it was raining and there was just one big mud pile where the cars stood.

Just the foundation, filling, compacting and floor cost us an arm and a leg. Just over 20k. Slabs are expensive.
    jip.

In 2010 we did some serious alterations .... kept some floor and one and half wall .. joined two single garages, extended it to the back, raised all the walls, new roof, custom 5,7mx2,5m garage door. Floor area 6,4x10m. Over sized roof beams. Lot of filling at the back for the new section ....

Project came in at just over R100k

some of the figures mentioned now scares me. could the prices have gone up that much in such a short time.