I want to drive off a Cliff. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: I want to drive off a Cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Was not a Jimny.
    Had a wee chat with a certain Caddie driver....

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    When did this become Traffic complaint Central?

You lost 3 seconds out of your life there, and 10 minutes complaining.
    Dankie TOG!

Honestly. Yes, he did not stay left, but you increased your speed to go and sit on his tailgate. If you kept your speed at constant 115 km/h you would not even have caught him. He was already over the speed limit when you reached his tailgate.

But Uys nailed it. We really need to relax about these small matters. We get ourselves so worked up over small things that do not need to affect us at all. And I'm guilty too - I find myself constantly swearing over guys passing traffic jams in the emergency lane, and then have to consciously relax myself about it and remind myself that the frustration serves no purpose.

I would've just passed left, no love lost. Its something I do often when they just wont budge and I give ample time for them to move over.

What irks me though, is how some drivers deliberately speed up not to give you show, just to slow down again once you behind them.
    C:\Users\brandon.engel\Desktop\br\roof\Signature pic2

Current:
    Jeep XJ Sport
    Astra H

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post

Really, this is a non event in day to day motoring. There are countless options to just deal with it without much more discomfort than looking in your rearview mirror.

I prefer not to see this guy as an "aggressor". He could be tired, have Divine Brown with him in the cab or whatever. I don't care. If he is a threat to my safety, I just want to position myself asap with as little drama as possible so that the threat is eliminated and continue thinking about my child's education.
    I agree very much. I drive firstly to get myself there safely but keeping in mind that I will have to compensate for other's bad driving, mistakes or ignorance along the way. It is my choice not to get upset, no offence Prof although I don't think you were really upset.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Yesterday I came from Paarl and was doing 120km/h on the cruise control, steadily passing other traffic. One car catches up, and I move over, but he now just stays in my blindspot and dont pass me .... eventually I have to slow down for a truck and let this guy get past me.

He pulls over and I am back on the cruise control at 120km/h ... jip, he gets back on my tailpipe, I move over and he sits in the blind spot again ....

I pulled over and slowed to 115km/h, cruise control on and watched him slowly moving forward doing the same to others. I got to Bellville maybe 30 seconds later, but not stressed and safely.
    Happens frequently on the N1 north on a Friday, can never understand why someone would drive like that. Overtaking is dangerous even on a highway. Put foot, get it done, move over for traffic behind you to pass or to the safety of your lane on a single carriage way.

Quote Originally Posted by CarMad View Post

It still doesn't take away from the reality that while everyone focuses on the justification of their ingrained attitude to what constitutes an acceptable speed, for themselves and project that onto the rest of the motoring world and subsequently uses that as a reference base as judgement on everything, the real manifestation of said Toyota driver is a lack of consideration.
    And that general 'only I' attitude will permeate to all road situations he finds himself in and the consequences thereof are to be found in the statistics.

Its not that I am better or faster. Its that I am considerate.
    Yes. Anyone going on the road without accepting that HE is going to make bad decisions and mistakes JUST like other drivers has a problem and is a problem driver. Such a driver can barely think for himself, never mind understands or anticipate what others are going to do or plan to do. Such drivers causes road rage and accidents, NOT high speed per se.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/01/12 at 09:13 AM.
    2012 Prado 150 TX 3,0 D Self made packing system, Bilstein shocks, Cooper AT3's, Stofpad Rocksliders, rear airhelpers, Takla floor covers, dual battery
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    No sarcasm there.
    Just a moangat over nothing.

definitely sarcasm I'm afraid..... it's not always easy to recognize, but I see the people it was aimed at have noticed

"the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apocalypse For This Useful Post:

One thing is sure on SA roads. Drivers are afraid of the left lane! I drive slowly between 110 and 120 on highways and I still overtake vehicles while on the slow lane...
    What is upsetting, is that if there are trucks and you follow the rule of stay left pass right, you will be stuck as no one will let you overtake. Catch 22, it is easier then to stay on the left lane.
    This is a lack of courtesy.
    I must be the worst type of driver. I drive below the speed limit, I do not go on the safety lane, I look in my mirrors.

much ado about nothing
    T6 Facelift 2.2 DC 4x4
    RhinoCab Canopy
    OTMecca Bushy
    ----------------------------------------------
    et ego non sum de ovibus

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Had a wee chat with a certain Caddie driver....
    Ha ha ha - He was driving so fast, he couldn't even recognise the vehicle
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    No sarcasm there.
    Just a moangat over nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    definitely sarcasm I'm afraid..... it's not always easy to recognize, but I see the people it was aimed at have noticed

Perhaps you missed too much or all of the threads that refer?

Subtlety and sarcasm is a form of art - if you don't have it, you just don't have it...
    Eggie.

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Especially those who claim they need R4 Billion planes for own use.
    - Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by faanie View Post
    Clearly, he was in the process of passing the third truck, keep left pass right, so well in his rights to stay in the right lane. And he was driving at the speed limit, almost. So he did nothing wrong.
    No clearly he didn't look behind into the fast lane before pulling out from behind the truck, he should have looked, seen the car coming up from behind and then waited before pulling out to pass the first truck.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeLander2 View Post
    No clearly he didn't look behind into the fast lane before pulling out from behind the truck, he should have looked, seen the car coming up from behind and then waited before pulling out to pass the first truck.
    That's crazy talk!

If it will take 15 seconds for a car in the overtaking lane to reach you, you are well in your rights to move into that lane and force that guy to slow down. More than enough time for that guy to adjust his speed to accomodate you!

However, if you are 15 seconds away from overtaking someone, it is not enough time for you to move over and let someone coming from behind pass. They need to wait for you to complete your manouvre. Once you've completed, you may continue sitting in that overtaking lane in case another car comes up in the left lane that you need to pass. Everyone else must deal with their problems in their own way. Drive around you if they have to.

This is how people in South Africa drive. (Hopefully this one doesn't go over ppl's heads )
    2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 V6
    2" Jimnybits coils, OME shocks + extenders

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Perhaps you missed too much or all of the threads that refer?

Subtlety and sarcasm is a form of art - if you don't have it, you just don't have it...
    Ah cool, so like an inside joke, we will call this inside sarcasm.

All good.
    T6 Facelift 2.2 DC 4x4
    RhinoCab Canopy
    OTMecca Bushy
    ----------------------------------------------
    et ego non sum de ovibus

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    One is exposed to situations like this on a daily basis.
    It is how you got up in the morning that determines your reaction to it
    Sorry to say, but this is a regular occurance in the Western Cape! Stick to the right hand lane even driving below the speed limit!

Bostoe

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    2 weeks later you still obses about "three seconds lost", while the other guy got on with is life. No matter how high you push your blood pressure, the "blocker" did not even raise his heart rate ....

SMILE, wave, and get on with your lives.
    agreed

another pointless thread by people and about people who think they own the road
    4x4AG : GP0314-NW : EXPIRED
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP
    Ex: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7HO
    Ex: 1989 Land Rover 110 3.5 V8 County Station Wagon
    Ex: 1996 Nissan Sani VG30 4x4 SW
    Ex: 1984 Land Rover 110 V8 Pickup
    Ex: 1995 Nissan TD27 4x4 Double Cab
    Ex: 2003 Hyundai Terracan 3.5 V6

It does get pointless when people get personal or refuses to let go of their view point and listen and learn, but there has been some useful posts if you sift through it all. I, for one, have certainly been reminded of some traffic rules on which I have become somewhat hazy or that have changed since I did my license on the Free State flats just after the era of the ox wagon.

Eish, just realized that it is almost to the day 30 years ago that I did my drivers test, been driving for a few years longer than that.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/01/12 at 10:51 AM.
    2012 Prado 150 TX 3,0 D Self made packing system, Bilstein shocks, Cooper AT3's, Stofpad Rocksliders, rear airhelpers, Takla floor covers, dual battery
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3