I want to drive off a Cliff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I want to drive off a Cliff.

So today driving along highway, this vehicle slipped between two trucks from the on ramp. All good...

Sped up a bit as I was going faster than him and expected him to move left and then I am on speed to pass quickly.

Not to be...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I want to drive off a Cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    So today driving along highway, this vehicle slipped between two trucks from the on ramp. All good...

Sped up a bit as I was going faster than him and expected him to move left and then I am on speed to pass quickly.

Not to be...

Toyota Gandalf says

Name:  you_shall_not_pass____gandalf___lotr_by_stickeesbiz-d6fqcm5.png
Views: 813
Size:  144.3 KB

"the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

Clearly, he was in the process of passing the third truck, keep left pass right, so well in his rights to stay in the right lane. And he was driving at the speed limit, almost. So he did nothing wrong.
    2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 V6
    2" Jimnybits coils, OME shocks + extenders

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faanie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by faanie View Post
    Clearly, he was in the process of passing the third truck, keep left pass right, so well in his rights to stay in the right lane. And he was driving at the speed limit, almost. So he did nothing wrong.

He thought he drives a Jimny and owns the fast lane as he was just below the legal speed limit (sorry couldn't resist to do a comparison with the Wilderness thread and the two trucks ).

But as a matter of fact, instead of polishing your blank nerves, you could have overtaken in the left lane, plenty of space and time between the trucks.
    Or in other words, "how is the acceleration between 115 and overtaking speed of your rig?"

Do Toyotas also have rear view mirrors ?
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    He thought he drives a Jimny and owns the fast lane as he was just below the legal speed limit (sorry couldn't resist to do a comparison with the Wilderness thread and the two trucks ).
    You got it in one

If you post the video you are WRONG.

Just live with it.

Kobus

HDJ81 VX

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post

But as a matter of fact, instead of polishing your blank nerves, you could have overtaken in the left lane, plenty of space and time between the trucks.
    Or in other words, "how is the acceleration between 115 and overtaking speed of your rig?"

Do Toyotas also have rear view mirrors ?
    Was not a Jimny.
    Sent from my iPhone

Actually the Toyota driver is completely inconsiderate for the simple reason is he moved into a lane and obstructed approaching traffic already in that lane.
    While that was his choice to make, the choice of lane, the considerate thing he should have done was just increase his speed slightly so as not to obstruct the vehicle approaching from the rear, seeing he had to move into the right hand lane the moment he entered the highway.

That is consideration for your fellow human being, which I extend but seldom receive.

Itís a pig-headed arrogance found too frequently on the road.
    The OP should have just pushed him off the cliff.
    Prof was doing 115 and his speed was actually increasing before the Toyota appeared.
    By the time he reached the Toyota he had slowed down to 107 or less.
    So even if he had remained constant the vehicle ahead would have still been obstructive a few seconds down the road.

The Toyota driver is a pig, nothing less.

The correct etiquette when entering a highway is to ensure your speed is slightly above the traffic you wish to merge with.
    You donít just plonk yourself in the fast-lane because only you exist in your world.
    Again, itís irrelevant what speed he prefers to drive or the limit on that particular road, but rather merging with the conditions he found when entering that road.

In fact everything about that motorist is just plain wrong.
    From the initial move where he slipped between the two trucks right into the far lane.
    The rear truck posed a massive blind spot which from his position would be impossible to negate.
    Lets say a vehicle was travelling illegally at 200 km/hr in the right hand lane.
    Everyone killed.

Was it speed or his pig headed arrogance to blame?

So there was a vehicle going faster than he was, already in the right hand lane, if he wasnít prepared to match that he should have kept left.
    It would only have been a few seconds for him too, either way.
    And just those few seconds of selfless consideration for others would save lives.

I would have just passed him on the left and were he a certain type of guy heíd probably try an out accelerate me on the chase to the truck but couldnít do the same not to obstruct my approach from behind.
    So really just a pig whichever way they are found.
    I spit on that motorist with all the contempt he deserves.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarMad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Was not a Jimny.
    Had a wee chat with a certain Caddie driver....

I fully agree with you
    Heinrich Coetzee

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    I fully agree with you
    Yeah the difference is that you are serious.

Re Faanie

When I first read your post I thought you were being sarcastic, but with subsequent posts I was no longer sure.
    Now I see my initial assumption was correct.

Yes this is no big deal as Thys says and were I in that same situation as Prof it would hardly have been a blip on my radar, nor upset me.

It still doesn't take away from the reality that while everyone focuses on the justification of their ingrained attitude to what constitutes an acceptable speed, for themselves and project that onto the rest of the motoring world and subsequently uses that as a reference base as judgement on everything, the real manifestation of said Toyota driver is a lack of consideration.
    And that general 'only I' attitude will permeate to all road situations he finds himself in and the consequences thereof are to be found in the statistics.

Its not that I am better or faster. Its that I am considerate.
    So for example lets say Toyota driver had moved left but in doing so misjudged his timing and was going to have to break behind the truck, I would pull to the left behind him too, even if I had to slow right down to accommodate him, so that he could pass that truck smoothly.

And generally you'll find one turn of consideration deserves another.

But, look at the 'body language' of the Toyota right from the start. where he slips right over to the right hand lane.

Its a pig, nothing less.

I propose people drive according to their political persuasions.
    I fail to understand why all those so left leaning love to be in the right lane.

No clearly he didn't look behind into the fast lane before pulling out from behind the truck, he should have looked, seen the car coming up from behind and then waited before pulling out to pass the first truck.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeLander2 View Post
    No clearly he didn't look behind into the fast lane before pulling out from behind the truck, he should have looked, seen the car coming up from behind and then waited before pulling out to pass the first truck.
    That's crazy talk!

If it will take 15 seconds for a car in the overtaking lane to reach you, you are well in your rights to move into that lane and force that guy to slow down. More than enough time for that guy to adjust his speed to accomodate you!

However, if you are 15 seconds away from overtaking someone, it is not enough time for you to move over and let someone coming from behind pass. They need to wait for you to complete your manouvre. Once you've completed, you may continue sitting in that overtaking lane in case another car comes up in the left lane that you need to pass. Everyone else must deal with their problems in their own way. Drive around you if they have to.

This is how people in South Africa drive. (Hopefully this one doesn't go over ppl's heads )

But, why did you speed up from a steady 115 kmh to 122 when you saw him cutting in front of you?

JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeepiscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    But, why did you speed up from a steady 115 kmh to 122 when you saw him cutting in front of you?
    I mentioned it in op....expected him to move left.

Then have momentum to pass as quickly as possible

Not to be...

Did he move over after he passed the truck? The video stopped rather suddenly.
    ďThere can be no liberty for a community which lacks the means by which to detect lies.Ē - Walter Lippman

Ok here comes some fun again.

I think you would have been fully within your right to pass him on the left.............

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

There was another truck ahead...he stayed right.
    I went to left lane just behind him. Enough space and time to pass on left hand side.
    After passing third truck he stayed right.
    Last edited by Prof; 2017/01/11 at 06:13 PM.

There was another truck ahead...he stayed right.
    I went to left lane just behind him. Enough space and time to pass on left hand side.
    After passing third truck he stayed right.

you can always spot a chump like that. Doesn't matter the circumstances, they come onto a highway and straight into the fast lane and camp there until their off ramp.

"the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast