I want to drive off a Cliff. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: I want to drive off a Cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by faanie View Post
    Clearly, he was in the process of passing the third truck, keep left pass right, so well in his rights to stay in the right lane. And he was driving at the speed limit, almost. So he did nothing wrong.

He thought he drives a Jimny and owns the fast lane as he was just below the legal speed limit (sorry couldn't resist to do a comparison with the Wilderness thread and the two trucks ).

But as a matter of fact, instead of polishing your blank nerves, you could have overtaken in the left lane, plenty of space and time between the trucks.
    Or in other words, "how is the acceleration between 115 and overtaking speed of your rig?"

Do Toyotas also have rear view mirrors ?
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    He thought he drives a Jimny and owns the fast lane as he was just below the legal speed limit (sorry couldn't resist to do a comparison with the Wilderness thread and the two trucks ).
    You got it in one

If you post the video you are WRONG.

Just live with it.

Kobus

HDJ81 VX

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by faanie View Post
    Clearly, he was in the process of passing the third truck, keep left pass right, so well in his rights to stay in the right lane. And he was driving at the speed limit, almost. So he did nothing wrong.
    I fully agree with you
    Heinrich Coetzee

What is clear is that Toyota bakkies do not belong to highway. Cannot even go 110 km/h.

My Smart goes 130 easily
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    2003 Ford Fairmont
    Never drive a normal car

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post

But as a matter of fact, instead of polishing your blank nerves, you could have overtaken in the left lane, plenty of space and time between the trucks.
    Or in other words, "how is the acceleration between 115 and overtaking speed of your rig?"

Do Toyotas also have rear view mirrors ?
    Was not a Jimny.
    Sent from my iPhone

Actually the Toyota driver is completely inconsiderate for the simple reason is he moved into a lane and obstructed approaching traffic already in that lane.
    While that was his choice to make, the choice of lane, the considerate thing he should have done was just increase his speed slightly so as not to obstruct the vehicle approaching from the rear, seeing he had to move into the right hand lane the moment he entered the highway.

That is consideration for your fellow human being, which I extend but seldom receive.

Itís a pig-headed arrogance found too frequently on the road.
    The OP should have just pushed him off the cliff.
    Prof was doing 115 and his speed was actually increasing before the Toyota appeared.
    By the time he reached the Toyota he had slowed down to 107 or less.
    So even if he had remained constant the vehicle ahead would have still been obstructive a few seconds down the road.

The Toyota driver is a pig, nothing less.

The correct etiquette when entering a highway is to ensure your speed is slightly above the traffic you wish to merge with.
    You donít just plonk yourself in the fast-lane because only you exist in your world.
    Again, itís irrelevant what speed he prefers to drive or the limit on that particular road, but rather merging with the conditions he found when entering that road.

In fact everything about that motorist is just plain wrong.
    From the initial move where he slipped between the two trucks right into the far lane.
    The rear truck posed a massive blind spot which from his position would be impossible to negate.
    Lets say a vehicle was travelling illegally at 200 km/hr in the right hand lane.
    Everyone killed.

Was it speed or his pig headed arrogance to blame?

So there was a vehicle going faster than he was, already in the right hand lane, if he wasnít prepared to match that he should have kept left.
    It would only have been a few seconds for him too, either way.
    And just those few seconds of selfless consideration for others would save lives.

I would have just passed him on the left and were he a certain type of guy heíd probably try an out accelerate me on the chase to the truck but couldnít do the same not to obstruct my approach from behind.
    So really just a pig whichever way they are found.
    I spit on that motorist with all the contempt he deserves.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarMad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarMad View Post
    Actually the Toyota driver is completely inconsiderate for the simple reason is he moved into a lane and obstructed approaching traffic already in that lane.
    While that was his choice to make, the choice of lane, the considerate thing he should have done was just increase his speed slightly so as not to obstruct the vehicle approaching from the rear, seeing he had to move into the right hand lane the moment he entered the highway.

That is consideration for your fellow human being, which I extend but seldom receive.

Prof was doing 115 and his speed was actually increasing before the Toyota appeared.
    So even if he had remained constant the vehicle ahead would have still been obstructive a few seconds down the road.

The correct etiquette when entering a highway is to ensure your speed is slightly above the traffic you wish to merge with.
    You donít just plonk yourself in the fast-lane because only you exist in your world.
    Again, itís irrelevant what speed he prefers to drive or the limit on that particular road, but rather merging with the conditions he found when entering that road.

From the initial move where he slipped between the two trucks right into the far lane.
    The rear truck posed a massive blind spot which from his position would be impossible to negate.
    Lets say a vehicle was travelling illegally at 200 km/hr in the right hand lane.
    Everyone killed.

So there was a vehicle going faster than he was, already in the right hand lane, if he wasnít prepared to match that he should have kept left.
    And just those few seconds of selfless consideration for others would save lives.

I would have just passed him on the left and were he a certain type of guy heíd probably try an out accelerate me on the chase to the truck but couldnít do the same not to obstruct my approach from behind.
    But the OP also did not move into the left lane after passing each of the trucks?!? He is actually in the righthand lane from the start of the video?!?

What is it with righthand lane speedsters that believe the righthand lane belongs to them and anyone else that dares to use the righthand lane, to pass multiple trucks, are in the wrong?!?

The accused driver did nothing wrong - Keep left and pass right does not mean "per vehicle". You are allowed to keep left and pass multiple vehicles (Especially trucks) on the right.
    Heinrich Coetzee

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    But the OP also did not move into the left lane after passing each of the trucks?!? He is actually in the righthand lane from the start of the video?!?
    ...I was in the right hand lane in process of passing a truck when vehicle entered road between the two trucks.

Thumbs up Re: I want to drive off a Cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by CarMad View Post

Everyone killed.

Nail, head, hammer ......................................
    Last edited by ThysleRoux; 2017/01/12 at 07:17 AM.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

082 975 9746
    thysleroux(at)mweb.co.za
    RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

You guys are arguing about nonsense.

On a double lane like this, if the guy does not move over, you may flash your headlights. If that does not work, cock the hammer and pass him in the left lane as that is not illegal either on a double lane.

If you are sensitive to travelling 115 km/h in stead of 120 km/h then you have a problem with patience.

Or if you really feel like a boos and you want to make him aware, push your nose in under his tail but then you better be serious and you should be the guy who wants to stick at 160.

Really, this is a non event in day to day motoring. There are countless options to just deal with it without much more discomfort than looking in your rearview mirror.

I prefer not to see this guy as an "aggressor". He could be tired, have Divine Brown with him in the cab or whatever. I don't care. If he is a threat to my safety, I just want to position myself asap with as little drama as possible so that the threat is eliminated and continue thinking about my child's education.

PS: Most Decembers we go down to Mossel Bay. What I find interesting is that on the N2 there, the traffic stream moves almost universally at about 100 km/h even when traffic is not dense and in spite of it being a 120 km/h road double lane both ways.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

Those Yankee cop are good hey!...our cops here would have already been out of bullets....

The only thing thats clear from these threads is some people thinks its fine to stay in the right, despite holding up traffic behind them, if there is anything on the horizon they may eventually want to overtake.

Others make way for the faster guys by moving into the left as soon as possible, and only move back into the right when they've reached what they're about to overtake

I fall in the 2nd group

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    I fully agree with you
    Yeah the difference is that you are serious.
    2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 V6
    2" Jimnybits coils, OME shocks + extenders

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    When did this become Traffic complaint Central?

You lost 3 seconds out of your life there, and 10 minutes complaining.
    uhm ja....

The hazards of owning a dashcam ....

2 weeks later you still obses about "three seconds lost", while the other guy got on with is life. No matter how high you push your blood pressure, the "blocker" did not even raise his heart rate ....

SMILE, wave, and get on with your lives.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    You guys are arguing about nonsense.

If you are sensitive to travelling 115 km/h in stead of 120 km/h then you have a problem with patience.

Really, this is a non event in day to day motoring. There are countless options to just deal with it without much more discomfort than looking in your rearview mirror.

Yesterday I came from Paarl and was doing 120km/h on the cruise control, steadily passing other traffic. One car catches up, and I move over, but he now just stays in my blindspot and dont pass me .... eventually I have to slow down for a truck and let this guy get past me.

He pulls over and I am back on the cruise control at 120km/h ... jip, he gets back on my tailpipe, I move over and he sits in the blind spot again ....

I pulled over and slowed to 115km/h, cruise control on and watched him slowly moving forward doing the same to others. I got to Bellville maybe 30 seconds later, but not stressed and safely.

PS - this section of road is known for speed traps so doing 130 to get away from this guy was not an option. but guess what, slowing down 5km/h to not have a guy right up my tailpipe did not hurt me in any way.

DEFENSIVE driving .....
    Last edited by ChrisF; 2017/01/12 at 08:30 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

Re Faanie

When I first read your post I thought you were being sarcastic, but with subsequent posts I was no longer sure.
    Now I see my initial assumption was correct.

Yes this is no big deal as Thys says and were I in that same situation as Prof it would hardly have been a blip on my radar, nor upset me.

It still doesn't take away from the reality that while everyone focuses on the justification of their ingrained attitude to what constitutes an acceptable speed, for themselves and project that onto the rest of the motoring world and subsequently uses that as a reference base as judgement on everything, the real manifestation of said Toyota driver is a lack of consideration.
    And that general 'only I' attitude will permeate to all road situations he finds himself in and the consequences thereof are to be found in the statistics.

Its not that I am better or faster. Its that I am considerate.
    So for example lets say Toyota driver had moved left but in doing so misjudged his timing and was going to have to break behind the truck, I would pull to the left behind him too, even if I had to slow right down to accommodate him, so that he could pass that truck smoothly.

And generally you'll find one turn of consideration deserves another.

But, look at the 'body language' of the Toyota right from the start. where he slips right over to the right hand lane.

Its a pig, nothing less.

I propose people drive according to their political persuasions.
    I fail to understand why all those so left leaning love to be in the right lane.

what most people have failed to appreciate is the biting sarcasm in the initial post.

Prof is far too subtle, either that or his sarcasm level is so advanced people believe he's being serious....

The post is in response to a couple of dash cam warriors screaming 'I did nuffink wrong' when someone overtakes them in a dodgy manner while they are playing pace car.

I'd guess that on the average day, Robert does what I do - doesn't even bother slowing down for lane hogs like the Toyota driver here, and simply goes up the left....

"the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apocalypse For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    ...I was in the right hand lane in process of passing a truck when vehicle entered road between the two trucks.
    So was the other guy eventually...and frankly when he moved into the right hand lane you were far behind him, not like he cut you off.
    And once in that lane, he has a right to pass a truck just ahead of him.
    Nothing to see here.
    If that non-incident pisses you off, you have bigger issues to worry about.
    T6 Facelift 2.2 DC 4x4
    RhinoCab Canopy
    OTMecca Bushy
    ----------------------------------------------
    et ego non sum de ovibus

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    what most people have failed to appreciate is the biting sarcasm in the initial post.
    No sarcasm there.
    Just a moangat over nothing.
    T6 Facelift 2.2 DC 4x4
    RhinoCab Canopy
    OTMecca Bushy
    ----------------------------------------------
    et ego non sum de ovibus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast