Drones and their Regulations

Default Drones and their Regulations

Hi guys

I am sure there must be a couple of guys on the forum owning a drone or even more than one.

Can anyone tell me what the laws are around flying drones in South Africa at the moment?

Your help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Drones and their Regulations

Don't have a drone myself, but if I get one this is where I would start.
    Just a quick scan on the SACAA website I saw these guidelines:

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remo...20Systems.aspx

Also read Part 101 in the Regulations for some more info

General Information

Definitions:
    "Remotely piloted aircraft" (RPAS) means an unmanned aircraft which is piloted from a remote pilot station, excluding model aircraft and toy aircraft.
    "Toy aircraft" means a product falling under the definition of aircraft which is designed or intended for use in play by children.
    "Model aircraft" means a non-human-carrying aircraft capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere and used exclusively for air display, recreational use, sport or competitions.

Acceptable uses of RPAS

For private use
    (a) The RPAS may only be used for an individual's personal and private purposes where there is no commercial outcome, interest or gain;
    (b) The pilot must observe all statutory requirements relating to liability, privacy and any other laws enforceable by any other authorities.
    For all other use
    (a) an RPA must be registered and may only be operated in terms of Part 101 of the South African Civil Aviation Regulations.

Dangers of negligent operation of an RPA:

Collision with other aircraft, with possible fatal results
    (a) Collision with other aircraft, with possible fatal results
    (b) Injury to the public
    (c) Damage to people's property
    (d) Legal liability for breaking laws such as privacy by-laws and other laws enforceable by other authorities.

Do's and Don'ts

DON'TS
    DO NOT, through act or omission, endanger the safety of another aircraft or person therein or any person or property through negligent flying/operation of Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft.
    Do not fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft 50 m or closer from:

1. Any person or group of persons (like sports field, road races, schools, social events, etc.)
    2. Any property without permission from the property owner.

Unless approved by the SACAA, DO NOT fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft or toy aircraft:

1. Near manned aircraft
    2. 10 km or closer to an aerodrome (airport, helipad, airfield)
    3. Weighing more than 7 kg
    4. In controlled airspace
    5. In restricted airspace
    6. In prohibited airspace.

Do not fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft higher than 150 ft from the ground, unless approved by the Director of Civil Aviation of the SACAA.

DO'S

1. Fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft in a safe manner, at all times.
    2. Remotely Piloted Aircraft or toy aircraft should remain within the visual line of sight at all times.
    3. Fly/operate RPA in daylight and clear weather conditions.
    4. Inspect your aircraft before each flight.

NOTE: The Director of Civil Aviation has designated an external organisation to oversee the operations of recreational aviation.
    For more information on the operation of model aircraft, please contact the South African Model Aircraft Association (SAAMA), www.samaa.org.za.

Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blikka For This Useful Post:

There's all kind of stuff of not recording people without consent from closer than 50m. The laws are still quite useless that you can almost not fly your drone anywhere apart from in the middle of the desert (and hope no nomad sues you)

2012 LR Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    2011 LR Defender 90
    2014 Jurgens Xplorer

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

hcs

Quote Originally Posted by Haas View Post
    Hi guys

I am sure there must be a couple of guys on the forum owning a drone or even more than one.

Can anyone tell me what the laws are around flying drones in South Africa at the moment?

Your help would be appreciated.
    Check on mybroadband there are drone threads regarding this.

There are 2 sets of laws or rules around drones.

1. Hobby user

2. Commercial users

For the hobby users the rules are fairly simple and not that restrictive but as soon as you charge money for any drone work, you are considered a commercial operator and then you need to be fully licensed through the CAA. This is a very expensive and complicated process, probably costing north of R100k and between 6-12 months of time to get all the paperwork sorted out.

Most important rules are, not flying closer than 50m to roads, people and buildings. There are height restrictions and also restrictions on flying close to airports for obvious reasons.

http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remo...20Systems.aspx

DON'TSDO NOT, through act or omission, endanger the safety of another aircraft or person therein or any person or property through negligent flying/operation of Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft.Do not fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft 50 m or closer from:
    1. Any person or group of persons (like sports field, road races, schools, social events, etc.)
    2. Any property without permission from the property owner.

Unless approved by the SACAA, DO NOT fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft or toy aircraft:

1. Near manned aircraft
    2. 10 km or closer to an aerodrome (airport, helipad, airfield)
    3. Weighing more than 7 kg
    4. In controlled airspace
    5. In restricted airspace
    6. In prohibited airspace.

Do not fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft higher than 150 ft from the ground, unless approved by the Director of Civil Aviation of the SACAA.DO'S
    1. Fly/operate Remotely Piloted Aircraft, or toy aircraft in a safe manner, at all times.
    2. Remotely Piloted Aircraft or toy aircraft should remain within the visual line of sight at all times.
    3. Fly/operate RPA in daylight and clear weather conditions.
    4. Inspect your aircraft before each flight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FreeLander2 For This Useful Post:

in essence - you can fly your drone as long as there is no form of civilization around.

Thanks for the reply guys...

Obviously i am not going to fly it over the union buildings as that might just get me in hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys...

Obviously i am not going to fly it over the union buildings as that might just get me in hot water.
    ...but if you had a stealth drone

So have you bought one as yet?
    Paul

T6 Facelift 2.2 DC 4x4
    RhinoCab Canopy
    OTMecca Bushy
    ----------------------------------------------
    et ego non sum de ovibus

LOL, the number will be much higher than that due to it being so complicated and expensive to fly legally.

for every registered and licensed remotely piloted aircraft taking to the skies in SA, there are two or three more doing so illegally.

In our news this morning a local's hut was trampled by an elephant and the people are blaming tourists with drones who fly too close to the elephants and this is making them nervous and aggressive. HKGK......

Quote Originally Posted by FreeLander2 View Post
    LOL, the number will be much higher than that due to it being so complicated and expensive to fly legally.

for every registered and licensed remotely piloted aircraft taking to the skies in SA, there are two or three more doing so illegally.
    If you read the CAA website and the info posted further up on the thread, you will see that the small little drones, i.e. the drones which 99% of people are buying are in fact not subject to strenuous regulations.

Just the thread I was looking for! Looking at buying one of these....I still need to hear how much noise they create...

So if this thing weighs less than 7 kg, it is regarded as a toy or model air craft? Then you need not register it? Nor attempt to get a license for it? just don't p..off the neighbours...and don't aggrevate the wild life...

I think it is a fun toy! Just wondering if is not going to become as obsolete unused as my GoPro...?
    The quality of the attached camera's feed is just fantastic! and it seems so easy to operate...hmmm...
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K 2005 ma se ryding...niks meer besem nie!
    Kia Sportage 2007 2.0 CRDI -seun se ryding
    Honda CRV 2005 -2.0i VTEC seun se ryding...
    NoName Boswa
    Honda FRV - verkoop!

You only need to get an RPL license if you fly commercially, so if you charge for work done with the drone.
    You can get an RPL, but then you need to have a registered company that has a ROC and your drone would need to be registered with the CAA and have a unique serial number.

For hobby use there are some restrictions, but you do not require a license

BTW - A DJI Phantom weighs well under 7kg and would require licensing if used commercially and is not considered a toy.