Road death toll. What to do? - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Default Re: Road death toll. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mynard View Post
    This thread is really long and I'm lazy so didn't read everything, so this might have been mentioned.

But here's a different idea, Why not get the other government departments involved? Like the SA Rail ways.

If they had to come to the party, and run weekly specials on trains like the old Trans Karoo etc. hook up a few car carriages at the back of it and you book your car and a compartment for a trip down to Cape Town/Oudshoorn/Beaufort West etc. They are supposed to be good at logistics so this can be done.

If your trip costs you more or less the same as the Fuel and Tolls, it turns into a no brainer. Relaxing for most of the way to your destination, you're on holiday after all, and you have your car there because we all know public transport does not work for all of us.

This way making it an alternative to having to flood the roads the day the holiday starts. Taking a fair amount of drivers off the road and making the traffic flow easier, and utilizing something that has been purpose build for longer trips plus adding snother aspect to your holiday.

Self Driving cars will not work, because you always have an idiot that will override the auto pilot when they're in a hurry, and the only person I trust to over ride any sort of auto pilot is and Actual Pilot.
    Although a cute idea, it can't make any difference. A single train could probably eliminate about 1 minute of road traffic on a busy highway. Even if it was possible to run 10 trains a day, you only eliminate 10 minutes worth of cars.

Much better to take the containers of the trucks and put them on the trains. Now each container eliminates a 17m extra heavy.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4

If youíre incompetent, you canít know youíre incompetent. . . . The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Peetz View Post
    I have not read through all the posts so maybe this point has been made.

What really gets to me about the situation on the roads is the attitude of our law enforcement agencies. I am by no means condoning the poor behaviour of motorists but generally speaking the on road behaviour of Metro Police and SAPS in Johannesburg.

I spend on average about an hour a day on our roads and there is practically not a single day that I do not see the law being broken by either JMPD or SAPS. This includes speeding, no seatbelts, no indicators, jumping red robots, driving in the yellow lane and albeit not that often cellphone use. If these guys are supposed to enforce the law they should be the leading example of how things should be done.

My 2c worth.
    Speaking under correction here but police may legally transgress the RTA when on duty. Maybe you should get a camera and submit to Crimeline?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Much better to take the containers of the trucks and put them on the trains. Now each container eliminates a 17m extra heavy.
    and the ore trucks that are simply destroying our secondary and regional roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    So the report came through and it 1714 from 1st December till 9th January. What did you notice and what can be done?
    Start changing South Africa slowly(province by province)from right-hand driving to left-hand driving. Most peoples emergency reaction is to the right-hand side....thus off the road and not to uncoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Speaking under correction here but police may legally transgress the RTA when on duty. Maybe you should get a camera and submit to Forum judge and the other semi driving gods here?
    There fixed it for you.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/01/16 at 10:59 AM.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

The operative word here is 'racing'. I am sorry to say this, but in an environment where you have a busy road system, poor drivers and an alcoholic fueled mentality, speed is the only thing that you can possible control. I have also learned that if you drop your speed, you not only enjoy the journey more, but there are less teeth marks in the dashboard, the fuel lasts much longer and most expensive 'must have' mods are not neccessary to your progress-to where ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAX4x4 View Post
    I agree that the primary problem is the old case of everyone takes there leave at the same time so the roads are filled with people racing to there holiday destinations to maximize the few days they have off of work.

Flying is cheaper, but then you need to pay, wait or worse use public transportation to get around which is just not practical and expensive with a medium to large family group.

Solution:

Fix the railway network so we can load our cars on trains and overnight in a cabin or dining cart/bar or fly between inland and coastal provinces and pick-up use our cars when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by horst View Post
    Start changing South Africa slowly(province by province)from right-hand driving to left-hand driving. Most peoples emergency reaction is to the right-hand side....thus off the road and not to uncoming traffic.
    Actually, this was tested. Only a small handful of people swerve to the right. Most swerve to the left. It's one of the biggest reasons that the UK didn't change, like the rest of the Europe.

Kind Regards
    Gympee
    Nissan Navara 2.5 td 4x4 DC 2010
    AG0028

Quote Originally Posted by horst View Post

I recall a story that some country in South America decided to do the swap over over a period of 3 weeks....

must have been fun!!

"the village scoundrel" - Uys
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    those who can, do; those who can't, teach George Bernard Shaw
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I saw the breakdown of figures in the paper today. A disproportionate number of the deaths are pedestrians, but nobody really mentions it too loudly.
    Start a MASSIVE campaign to tell pedestrians to stop walking along in the roads and to use the pavements/sidewalks.To include the message to all school kids as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    Start a MASSIVE campaign to tell pedestrians to stop walking along in the roads and to use the pavements/sidewalks.To include the message to all school kids as well.

that starts at school.

It will take 20 years to make a dent in that problem.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. Douglas Adams
    it is better to be irresponsible and right than to be responsible and wrong Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    that starts at school.

It will take 20 years to make a dent in that problem.
    and based on current education standards, that will never happen

Vuwani is in flames again

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...court-20170116

Alex in chaos

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...olice-20170116

and the yearly fee protests will start next month

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    and based on current education standards, that will never happen

Vuwani is in flames again

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...court-20170116

Alex in chaos

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...olice-20170116

and the yearly fee protests will start next month
    agreed. One of the biggest education budgets in the world..... with the worst results.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Although a cute idea, it can't make any difference. A single train could probably eliminate about 1 minute of road traffic on a busy highway. Even if it was possible to run 10 trains a day, you only eliminate 10 minutes worth of cars.

I agree 100%
    Fix the rail system in SA
    Then create laws that restricts the heavy duty trucks from being on the roads at certian times of the day.

And make sure the heavy duty transport costs is affordable.

But realistically our Government won't do that
    The cash cow that is currently created by the heavy duty transport trucks would disappear.
    And they can't have that
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2017/01/16 at 04:34 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

I read through the first 3 and the last page and did not come across any mention of alcohol despite very clear statistics over many years that alcohol is involved in the majority of road deaths. Both in pedestrians and drivers.

Without addressing that issue, you can huff and puff as much as you like but it will not make a difference.

The way that road deaths are reported is wrong.

It should be reported that ONLY 1700+ people died on the roads during the holidays.

I'm on the roads daily and the way we as Saffers drive, the road death statistics should be far, far higher. All the policing in the world will not change the stats when the citizens themselves are totally lawless.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    I agree 100%
    Fix the rail system in SA
    Then create laws that restricts the heavy duty trucks from being on the roads at certian times of the day.

And make sure the heavy duty transport costs is affordable.

But realistically our Government won't do that
    The cash cow that is currently created by the heavy duty transport trucks would disappear.
    And they can't have that
    Ja nee, and put all the truck drivers out of a job. And the people selling trucks and all the diesel mechanics.
    1993 Samurai. 2004 Jeep TJ Sport. V8 Lexus VVTi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Ja nee, and put all the truck drivers out of a job. And the people selling trucks and all the diesel mechanics.
    It will not put them out of a job
    There will still be lots of trucks for local deliveries.
    Just not many on the long routes
    Or at worse congested times

Still loads of deliveries to make
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2017/01/16 at 08:15 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7