To replace a Disco 1 300 Tdi with a LC 76 4.2D ?!?! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: To replace a Disco 1 300 Tdi with a LC 76 4.2D ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Wow! Did not realise that. My 14 year old already hit 1.9m and it certainly is a concern that he should be comfortable. That is why I had to sell my Jetta 4.

The Disco on the other hand is quite spacious on the rear seat and I do not get complaints from passengers.

I think the rear seat room is about the same between the D1 and D2.
    The D2 has a much bigger luggage area.. but that also means a longer rear overhang
    Disco 2 TD5
    KTM 990 Adv

You will never cure a LR supporter. And you cant compare the two vehicles.

Just decide whether you want to switch to Toyota or not. I made that choice long time ago. Main reason, I work with a vehicle, not on it, as simple as that.
    Johan Kriel

LC's; PU, SW and FJ

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post

Just decide whether you want to switch to Toyota or not. I made that choice long time ago. Main reason, I work with a vehicle, not on it, as simple as that.
    And we were being so objective up to now!

Biltong, you have not mentioned a budget but one vehicle which should fit most of your requirements, is a Land Cruiser 105 GX diesel. It is not fast, but very reliable and very comforatble as well as very capable. But, they are extremely scarce in good condition and very pricey.

Another one is the Pajero 3.2 DiD or the Patrol 3.0 l diesel. That is if you want to go more modern.

Only the 105 has a simple mechanical injector pump though.
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2017/01/10 at 12:56 PM.
    To achieve greatness, stop asking for permission!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    And we were being so objective up to now!

Biltong, you have not mentioned a budget but one vehicle which should fit most of your requirements, is a Land Cruiser 105 GX diesel. It is not fast, but very reliable and very comfortable as well as very capable. But, they are extremely scarce in good condition and very pricey.

Another one is the Pajero 3.2 DiD or the Patrol 3.0 l diesel. That is if you want to go more modern.

Only the 105 has a simple mechanical injector pump though.

My main problem with the 105 is size. It really is a big vehicle and we will use it as a daily runner. Now my SWAMBO does not mind big cars, but I do think that one is pushing it a bit.

Upside is that a 105 is so big I could perhaps get away without a trailer.

The Pajero however, is a no. I don't want IFS at all.

The other option is to buy another good 300 Tdi and accept that I will have to pull the motor and box, replace everything that is worn out, recondition the boxes, replace universals, suspension bushes etc. That will most probably run in the region of R 40 000 of work so one could enf up with a Disco 1 costing you R 100 000.

The risk of the above is that is the vehicle is in an accident shortly after that, the advantage and money on repair works are lost.

But I need to state again. This exercise does highlight what a bloody good car the Disco 1 is.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

Of course you can compare them. Both have advantages and disadvantages and it is significant enough to leave a choice for a open minded buyer.

That is where I will differ from you.

Toyota's are most definitely not little miracles that just keeps on going. They do break and for some reason their owners are not too honest about it.

Let me put it this way: Drive where I drive with my Disco with a 20 years old Toyota (or even a new one for that matter if you can stomach it) and see if you can come off clean with higher maintenance.

Make no mistake. I think a well looked after late model LC 76 will for some years give me very little trouble but eventually it will need constant repairs - which I for one do not mind. I enjoy working on my vehicles.

The question is if I can do it for money that makes sense.

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

Well most of it was tongue in the cheek. I was never a Toyota fan, thus bought the one make after the other, knowing most them. After the first Toyota I did not change again, not the vehicle only but the overall package, not their agents are better, just more of them.

Unfortunate LR was eliminated from my list very long ago, so cant really comment on the later models. Just saw some guys have are very confident going in to the bush with them.

Toyota's are most definitely not little miracles that just keeps on going. They do break and for some reason their owners are not too honest about it.
    But yes you cant go wrong with a good 76, meaning properly serviced and looked after. They cost you money if not properly serviced.

My 80 series (trip vehicle) goes for 600 000 km, yes there was issues, mostly due negligence of the previous owner which I had to fix, since then only minor issues.

Johan Kriel

LC's; PU, SW and FJ

My 80 series (trip vehicle) goes for 600 000 km, yes there was issues, mostly due negligence of the previous owner which I had to fix, since then only minor issues.
    Look, I have no problem driving my Landy for another 400 000 km and I did my longest overlanding trips with 25 year old Nissan Safari's. I absolutely love those vehicles.

The reality is, eventually it becomes an issue to keep these oldies running and an 80-series Cruiser (by now a 105 as well) is by no means an exception.

If I need to choose to keep a 20 years old Landy on the road versus a 20 years old Cruiser, then frankly I would not even look at a Cruiser. The Landy parts are far easier to get and much more affordable and because they are aluminium, rust is much less of a concern.

If I was willing to accept IFS or independent suspension all around, then I would simply buy a Double Cab bakkie as it offers ample loading space and some of them even has decent rear passenger comfort. However, the limited 4x4 capabilities of the worshonde is not something I can accept.

I just spoke to a colleague who has a 76 LC and he agrees that the 76 is small for his 1.8m teenager as a rear passenger - the Disco's were better. He reckons a late model Meano double CAB is even better.

In terms of rear packing space, he had a Disco 1, a Disco 2 and then the 76 Cruiser and he reckons the 76 and Disco 2 is about on par with rear packing space.

Ai. For me, it is sad to see that SFA vehicles are slowly dying.

Ai. For me, it is sad to see that SFA vehicles are slowly dying.
    For me too. Soon we'll have to drive vehicles that depend 100% on unfixable technology to get out of the driveway.
    4x4AG : GP0314-NW : EXPIRED
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP
    Ex: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7HO
    Ex: 1989 Land Rover 110 3.5 V8 County Station Wagon
    Ex: 1996 Nissan Sani VG30 4x4 SW
    Ex: 1984 Land Rover 110 V8 Pickup
    Ex: 1995 Nissan TD27 4x4 Double Cab
    Ex: 2003 Hyundai Terracan 3.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    For me too. Soon we'll have to drive vehicles that depend 100% on unfixable technology to get out of the driveway.
    Unfortunately yes. And I hate that.

It is such bliss to travel to places where I can see no human other than my wife and kids for days. No cell phone signal, no electricity, nothing.

If my Landy gets a problem with the security system, I have it hot-wired within minutes and I can go.

And that for me is a serious safety concern when you are far away from help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2