Jurgens LT660 vs Venter super 6 with roofrack

Default Jurgens LT660 vs Venter super 6 with roofrack

Hi everybody,
    I was amazed on how little info or reviews I could find to help me choose between these two trailers.

I dont have much experience in trailers, and would like to buy one mainly for packing that extra goodies when going camping or going away for the weekend with two kids. I was hoping that someone has a opinion to share on which one is the best?

The main pros and cons I could identify myself are the following:

Jurgens LT660
    Strong roofrack for optional pitching of tent, unique suspension, not galvanized.

Venter super 6
    Galvanized

They are priced more or less the same. One thing I noticed about venter is that I was unable to find a dealer open in the Helderberg area over the weekend, whereas capworld for Jurgens was much more accessible.

Does anybody know if the Jurgens will rust near coast because its not galvanized? I have great respect for galvanization.

Default Re: Jurgens LT660 vs Venter super 6 with roofrack

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaper View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I was amazed on how little info or reviews I could find to help me choose between these two trailers.

I dont have much experience in trailers, and would like to buy one mainly for packing that extra goodies when going camping or going away for the weekend with two kids. I was hoping that someone has a opinion to share on which one is the best?

The main pros and cons I could identify myself are the following:

Jurgens LT660
    Strong roofrack for optional pitching of tent, unique suspension, not galvanized.

Venter super 6
    Galvanized

They are priced more or less the same. One thing I noticed about venter is that I was unable to find a dealer open in the Helderberg area over the weekend, whereas capworld for Jurgens was much more accessible.

Does anybody know if the Jurgens will rust near coast because its not galvanized? I have great respect for galvanization.
    The Jurgens is e-coated. If I recall, e-coating protects 7 times better than galvanising.
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2017/01/08 at 10:45 AM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Cool Re: Jurgens LT660 vs Venter super 6 with roofrack

Thanks Rebel,
    As with a car, as long as you touch up any small nicks, I guess it should be fine?

I saw a photo on gumtree yesterday of a venter with rust running down its outer body. So I suppose it's all about how well you keep your hand on it.

I'm still surprised on how little opinions and reviews there are out there. Oh well, then I'll go with my gut and buy the jurgens!

I have had the Jurgens BT670 for about three years. Live at the coast. No issues yet. Granted, mine sleeps inside. One the best loaded trailers I've ever towed by the way. That suspension works really well (also gives it good ground clearance compared to a normal axle. 310 mm IIRC)..... VERY happy with my purchase.

I got the BT670, as the straight sides mean that I can load easier, e.g. a small bar fridge can fit upright in the corner without wasting any space. Also, it's like R3k cheaper than the LT660. Even though it's not the best looking trailer....

Neighbor has one (BT670) that sleeps outside under a roof, but open to rain and wind on three sides. Still looks good after more than 7 years outside. Bought a Venter trailer of the same year (2009) for my BIL over the weekend. Also outside, although walled on two sides so not in direct rain as the neighbor's Jurgens, and the Jurgens looks better.
    Last edited by avk; 2017/01/08 at 05:55 PM.
    Anton

At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box - Italian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    The Jurgens is e-coated. If I recall, e-coating protects 7 times better than galvanising.
    Not shooting you down ..... the following is an extract from the Jurgens website (campworld):

"Our e-coat paint finish, where the paint is electrically bonded onto the metal, is part of a 7-step finishing process developed by the motor industry".

At the 4x4 Expo at Kyalami in Aug '16 the opposition (factories using fiberglass material) insisted

that 'powder-coated' (read e-coated) body panels are prone to rust (tiny chips in the paint finish caused

by towing). I am no expert (ex-perd = a dead horse) on this subject but ask that @Jaaper consider

this snippet of information in his research.
    Last edited by Vernon Wentzel; 2017/01/08 at 07:47 PM.
    Leading: Hyundai iX35 R2.0 GLS/Elite CRDi 4WD Auto
    Trailing : Afrispoor Serval (arrived on time but with issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Wentzel View Post
    Not shooting you down ..... the following is an extract from the Jurgens website (campworld):

"Our e-coat paint finish, where the paint is electrically bonded onto the metal, is part of a 7-step finishing process developed by the motor industry".

At the 4x4 Expo at Kyalami in Aug '16 the opposition (factories using fiberglass material) insisted

that 'powder-coated' (read e-coated) body panels are prone to rust (tiny chips in the paint finish caused

by towing). I am no expert (ex-perd = a dead horse) on this subject but ask that @Jaaper consider

Not an expert either......but I'm sure that the opposition will never admit that another company has a better approach.

Also not trying to shoot YOU down Vernon. Just stirring a little.

My own experience shows the paint on the Jurgens to be really tough, inside and out. Not perfect, I'm sure once it starts chipping or when it's scratched, you'll see the rust starting to bite, but just like with any other vehicle, keeping your hand on it should have it last for years.

Anyway, as a package I think the Jurgens trailers are really good value for money. Which is why I went for one. If it were ever needed, I'd replace mine with another one.
    Anton

At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box - Italian Proverb

7. The Following User Says Thank You to avk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Wentzel View Post

I understand.

I didnt even see that extract.

I got my information from work, where we install first fix plates against the slabs for our equipment.

Those plates are e-coated. I once asked the purchasing team, why not galvanise?

I also read you mention of powdercoating. That is different to e-coating. That I know, when chipped, it will rust. E-coating cant chip.

I made a few brackets and e-coated them. Even if I scratch them, it doesnt come off. However, on my powdercoated brackets, that's another story.
    Sent from my iPhone

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

This is really good information thanks.

Has anyone had experience with serviceing a jurgens before? Is it easy to find parts, for instance to replace a tail light, etc? And Venter?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaaper For This Useful Post:

Interesting,
    When I wanted to purchase the jurgens today, the salesman told me that according to law (and his 9 years experience) I am not allowed to tow it with my Terios because the trailer's GVM is 600kg and the Terios tare is 1170 kg (30kg below double the GVM). I may not even tow the empty trailer, which weighs below 250 kg.

I was surprised, and phoned numerous local and provincial motor vehicle departments to confirm this, but no one knew. Eventially Paarl weighbridge told me that I am allowed to, as long as I dont load it to more than half my car's tare.

Now I am hesitant.

Interesting...so I assume the same would be true of the Venter?

Do you need the large trailer? Jurgens also used to have smaller versions, the LT655 and the BT547.
    Anton

The Jurgens dealer is correct. The drawing vehicle's Tarre must be double the trailer's GVM. IF trailer is equipped with a brakes axle, the trailer GVM may be equal to the drawing vehicle's Tarre.

Fine is R900 for every 150kg you are over. Even 1 kg will give you the R900 fine. You may also not tow the vehicle further and someone with the equipped vehicle may tow it for you.
    Sent from my iPhone

Rebel, just to confirm,
    So if youre driving with an empty trailer, but the trailer has the capacity/potential to be heavily loaded, you will be fined for the capacity of the trailer?

It does not make sense, because it wont be a danger if you dont overload. Though... Sometimes the law does not make sense.... so I'll believe you if you say so.

Rebel, just to confirm,
    So if youre driving with an empty trailer, but the trailer has the capacity/potential to be heavily loaded, you will be fined for the capacity of the trailer?

It does not make sense, because it wont be a danger if you dont overload. Though... Sometimes the law does not make sense.... so I'll believe you if you say so.
    That's correct.

I sat with the same problem when purchasing a trailer for my Jimny. My Jimny is 1060kg.

I was advised to purchase a Jurgens BT 467 or something like that. The 467 in the model name represents the GVM in kg.

I think the reason for the law is that the potential exist to carry a load of GVM and the cops have no method of weighing a trailer when you get stopped.
    Sent from my iPhone

Unhappy Re: Jurgens LT660 vs Venter super 6 with roofrack

The venter glider looks like the only venter that may be towed in the venter range with a vehicle under 1400kg.

I couldnt find info for a jurgens bt467 or any unbraked jurgens that may be towed by a Terios or smaller vehicle. The braked jurgens LT675 is R22k, which is quite a jump.

Oh well. This is really eye opening.

We can close this thread soon, as it is drifting off topic now. Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!

Default Jurgens LT660 vs Venter super 6 with roofrack

The venter glider looks like the only venter that may be towed in the venter range with a vehicle under 1400kg.

I couldnt find info for a jurgens bt467 or any unbraked jurgens that may be towed by a Terios or smaller vehicle. The braked jurgens LT675 is R22k, which is quite a jump.

Oh well. This is really eye opening.

We can close this thread soon, as it is drifting off topic now. Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!
    I will see if I can find you the link. It was R10 850 last year. (BT 467)
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2017/01/09 at 09:54 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I will see if I can find you the link. It was R10 850 last year. (BT 467)
    Sorry, discontinued - looks like the smaller Venters are the only available ones. Or even those Fibreglass ones.
    Sent from my iPhone

For all those terios owners out there who want to tow a LT660 without risking a brush with the authorities....

Warning... not for the faint of heart, as you'll need to wait in queues for hours.

I went to the nearest weighbridge today to see if my nudge and sidebars pushed my tare weight above the legal limit for towing a LT660. And bingo, I got a certificate for just above 1200 kg!

Then I went to the vehicle department and got a white form after standing in a queue for almost an hour. I took the white form to a vehicle testing facility, and they signed off on the new tare weight. Then I went back to the vehicle department, and waited in the queue for more than a hour. It was like watching a reality show, to see people screaming and crying in front of the queue because they forgot their Ids or proof of residences. Anyway, I was given a purple form to fill, and was able to jump the queue after that. Then I was given a red (cant remember) form to fill and sign. R33.00 later, I was issued with a new disc and updated papers so that I can now legally tow a LT660! And I now know my vin number by heart, after filling it in so many times.

So by 3pm, I was the proud owner of a LT660!

For all those terios owners out there who want to tow a LT660 without risking a brush with the authorities....

Warning... not for the faint of heart, as you'll need to wait in queues for hours.

I went to the nearest weighbridge today to see if my nudge and sidebars pushed my tare weight above the legal limit for towing a LT660. And bingo, I got a certificate for just above 1200 kg!

Then I went to the vehicle department and got a white form after standing in a queue for almost an hour. I took the white form to a vehicle testing facility, and they signed off on the new tare weight. Then I went back to the vehicle department, and waited in the queue for more than a hour. It was like watching a reality show, to see people screaming and crying in front of the queue because they forgot their Ids or proof of residences. Anyway, I was given a purple form to fill, and was able to jump the queue after that. Then I was given a red (cant remember) form to fill and sign. R33.00 later, I was issued with a new disc and updated papers so that I can now legally tow a LT660! And I now know my vin number by heart, after filling it in so many times.

So by 3pm, I was the proud owner of a LT660!
    Well....that's one way to solve the problem! 😀
    Anton

Sticker from the inside of a campmaster trailer.

You need a 1.5 ton vehicle to tow one of those, regardless of whether it is empty or not. What a stupid law.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sticker from the inside of a campmaster trailer.

You need a 1.5 ton vehicle to tow one of those, regardless of whether it is empty or not. What a stupid law.
    That is correct. I think it was discussed earlier in the thread wrt weight of the drawing vehicle being 2x the GVM of trailer.
    Sent from my iPhone