General Grabber A/t - what mileage do they give? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: General Grabber A/t - what mileage do they give?

Hi, I fitted the GG AT's 255-55-R19 to our Disco 3 last year. Tyre is soft and very quite. No Issues regarding road-holding and braking / wet driving. In the beginning we where very happy with the set but now I am quit fed-up. 3 of 4 Tyres started with slow punctures (after about 15k km) and we damaged 2 due to sidewall cuts. We use the vehicle for a lot of gravel road traveling as well as driving a rocky stretch of Farm-road. That tyre is definitely not made for that.
    I fitted a set of GG AT3's to a Friends Disco 4 last week. After one week first tyre gone due to sidewall cut.
    If you do the average driving with mainly tar, a bit of gravel and sand that tyre will be very good value for money but if you really go into rocks stay away from them!
    I use the BFG AT's on our Defender, do the same roads just with rougher driving and up till now for about 100k km (on 2 sets) not one single puncture, never mind sidewall cut.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxnam For This Useful Post:

I agree 100% with Maxnam.
    If you do mostly tar, some sand and non-rocky gravel then GG AT's are probably best value for money.

In December me and a friend of mine did a few trips on a very bad rocky road. He had GG AT and I had BFG AT KO2's in the month he lost 3 tires and me well non. All side wall cuts.

So if you are planning to do rough rocky roads stay away. Otherwise one of the better tire options.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HiluxRoux For This Useful Post:

For what it's worth, with all the rain the last few days and doing a fair bit of travelling on tar I have found the Grabbers to handle wet conditions very well, especially when hitting puddles and water flowing across the road. A stable and solid drive in the wet.

Quote Originally Posted by HiluxRoux View Post
    I agree 100% with Maxnam.
    If you do mostly tar, some sand and non-rocky gravel then GG AT's are probably best value for money.

In December me and a friend of mine did a few trips on a very bad rocky road. He had GG AT and I had BFG AT KO2's in the month he lost 3 tires and me well non. All side wall cuts.

So if you are planning to do rough rocky roads stay away. Otherwise one of the better tire options.
    Grabbers are just P(assenger) spec tyres. There is a lot off the same complaints about the Cooper AT3 P spec tyres as well. There is no way you can compare them to BFGs or Cooper STs. They are a completely different target market.

It's like going to a gun fight with a knife!

Use the Grabbers within their designed purpose, and they are beauties!
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

I just paid R1650 each for my Grabbers, Bfg and Coopers were R3500+ each. Unless you are going to be putting your tyres through some major abuse, you will be fine with Grabbers.

Ek het vrydag n stel AT3 grabbers op my vrou se bakkie gesit. Sal kyk hoe goed hulle hou. Vorige stel duelers het 30 000km gegee, toe is agter bande gaar. Teen 2/3 die prys van geolanders, probeer ek hulle nou.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Where do you guys get the prices from ? ..those are cheap for Grabbers....if i may ask

This is the cheapest i could get...as i need to replace my BFG A/T's on my '97 Pajero:

Velocity - Raptor A/T = R1695 per tyre
    Conti - World Contact 4x4 = R1650 per tyre
    Dunlop - A/T3 = R1600 per tyre
    Goodyear - Wrangler AT/SA = R1650 per tyre
    Nexen - Roadian A/T RA8 - R1590 per tyre
    Toyo - Open Country A/T2 = R2260 per tyre (out of budget)

Interesting to read the comments on the ATs

I got my bakkie with them just put on, so they were basically new with less than 200km on.
    I've put on about 23k km on them up until now and they still look very close to new. Haven't measured the tread yet but they honestly still look about new.

Handling on wet roads are really good! And they keep amazing me on sand and especially gravel roads.
    After my recent trip with them which were about 2700km tar and 1700km gravel I have noticed that a lot of gravel driving, as in every day, will maybe eat this tyres a bit. you can see by the marks on the tread that it's a softer compound.
    I'll probably drive 20% gravel at most and i'll take the softer compound and less kms in exchange for the excellent handling.

Only sad part now is that the ATs are discontinued and I can't find them new anymore... This is not that nice since I like to keep all my tyres the same and it would mean that losing a tyre now will necessitate me put on something different in the front or rear and throw the other on spare, thus sitting with different tyres front and rear...
    Found one on Gumtree with about 80% tread left apparently, it's a 2013 tyre so still under 5 years, might just get it if it's still available months end...

Interested how the new AT3 will do. I have heard nothing about AT2s ever so have to accept that they are useless? And hoping the AT3 won't be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
    Where do you guys get the prices from ? ..those are cheap for Grabbers....if i may ask

This is the cheapest i could get...as i need to replace my BFG A/T's on my '97 Pajero:

Price for each tyre varies a lot with the specific size you choose. Have a look at Errol's tyres, that will give you a good idea of what the prices are for different brands.
    2004 Pajero LWB 3.8 - My toy
    1998 Pajero SWB 3.0 - SWAMBO's toy

FJ45 with fibreglass body and 3CT motor - being built

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek het vrydag n stel AT3 grabbers op my vrou se bakkie gesit. Sal kyk hoe goed hulle hou. Vorige stel duelers het 30 000km gegee, toe is agter bande gaar. Teen 2/3 die prys van geolanders, probeer ek hulle nou.
    So julle gaan die proefkonyne wees op die nuwe AT3's Reenen. Gaan interessant wees wat jy dink van hulle na gebruik.

Do you get Grabbers AT in LT (light truck) as well?
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post

Got my Grabbers from Bluff Tyres in Pinetown.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BluePaj For This Useful Post:

The set of 4 on the Paj was 8k. From HiQ in Empangeni, October last year I think.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Riaan
    I had a set of BFG on my Pajero Sport for 110 000 kms. Changed to GG because Company would not replace with BFG. Did 30 000 kms with the GG before I traded up to the Pajero. Pajero came with Yoko' s and you know why I want that spare BFG of yours!
    Cheers
    Henri
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Do you get Grabbers AT in LT (light truck) as well?
    Yes , you do get them in LT spec. Unfortunately only in 235/85R16 and 265/75R16. Had the 265/75R16 on my dad's Isuzu. Gave 65k kms

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    So julle gaan die proefkonyne wees op die nuwe AT3's Reenen. Gaan interessant wees wat jy dink van hulle na gebruik.
    Nou besig met eerste lang trip wat ekmself ry met hulle.
    Grondpad: stabiel en vas op pad tot verby 180. Gat is glad nie los. Baie betwr as my vorige stel bande. Rem ook mooi.

Teerpad: raas niks, kon niks slegs agterkom.

Maar dan het hulle nou maar eers n 1000km op.

Op die grabber AT: het gister langs die pad gestaan en wag vir skoolbus. My twee buurmanne het altwee grabbers AT op hul clubcabs (ford 2.2 en hilux 2.5). Beide van hulle grabbers gaan nie 15000km maak op agteras.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Reenen, jy moet laat weet waneer hulle sat is seblief en watse kilo's jy gekry het.

Ek sien jy doen 180 op 'n grondpad. Het jy dan nie waaifaai dat jy videos op Facetube kan kyk van ouens wat baie baie vinniger ry as dit? Dalk bietjie tips vang daar ek word gereeld vertel as jy drie videos kyk oor iets kan jy dit doen.

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Razak View Post
    Yes , you do get them in LT spec. Unfortunately only in 235/85R16 and 265/75R16. Had the 265/75R16 on my dad's Isuzu. Gave 65k kms
    235/85R16 is what my 110 currently have. Might look at those.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    235/85R16 is what my 110 currently have. Might look at those.

Not sure if you can see the difference but the first picture is the Grabber LT spec and the second picture is the normal Grabber. There's a slight difference in threads, the LT spec threads are closer than the normal one and there is a difference in traction if you compare them. That is why I went BF GOODRICH KO2's which are also LT spec and traction is a lot better than the LT spec Grabbers.
    Note that the Grabber LTs and the BF LTs handle weight very good(I'm talking about serious weight for a bakkie close to 1.8, 1.9 ton) and the bakkie got extra leafs
    And both the pics a 265 tyres

Hope this helps

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Muhammad Razak For This Useful Post:

Name:  DSC_0274.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  82.7 KB

Nee manne ek weet nie wat julle aanvang nie. Hierdie is my plaasbakkie waarmee ek elke dag ry, 255/70/R15. Grondpad, teerpad, klip berg pad en dik sand, 5/6 dae van die week. Die stel het 50 000km op sonder enige papwiele, en dit lyk of ek gemaklik 70 000km gaan haal. Hulle word elke 10 000km geruil as die bakkie gediens word, en ek ry hulle 2.5bar. Ek het al ons plaasbakkies om geswaai na General Grabber AT toe, en ry hulle ook op Transporter bus. Met die prys wat ek betaal, is ek bitter tevrede met hierdie bande.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jcgoosen For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast