Hug your Venter trailer............

Default Hug your Venter trailer............

Did a little observing of camper's trailers at the coast this year. The ones that spend 11 months of the year stuck in the garden in the sun piled high with garden refuse....

Sadly most looked in desperate need of a little TLC. Tyres perished, rusty all over and most with sweating grease around the bearings.

Yet all the tow cars were top of the range and all very new ?

Then , on the N9 yesterday, 2 Venters with bearing failure within the space of 5 Ks !!! And , to top it off, we stopped at a picnic spot 10 Ks further only to find a broken set of bearings, lots of grease and rags lying just 1 metre from the bin........

Come on guys, nip outside and give your trailer a little hug and promise it you'll give it some attention. ( after dark tonight if the neighbours are up already)

Have a good year all !!
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

Default Re: Hug your Venter trailer............

It's a real shame about the littering
    Funny enough, I saw the same trend camping along the West Coast this year.
    The best is where the tow car is a brand new bakkie, but there is absolutely nothing loaded in the bakkie bin.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Not always the owner's fault, I had on two diff occasions failures on my trailer bearings within the first trip after having it serviced - one was to tight and one did not have enougth grease, this was long ago and after the second time i learned to do it myself, takes longer but havnt had a problem since going diy route.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    It's a real shame about the littering
    Funny enough, I saw the same trend camping along the West Coast this year.
    The best is where the tow car is a brand new bakkie, but there is absolutely nothing loaded in the bakkie bin.
    That's usually because if you put something in there you can't legally tow the van behind it

You should have seen the number of broken trailers on the N4 towards Moz before Christmas. At least 1 every 5 km's. Mostly wheel bearings

Land Rover Discovery 2 2000 auto xs (his)

Land Rover Freelander 2005 td4 HSE facelift (hers)

Jurgens xt 75

Quote Originally Posted by Lammie View Post
    You should have seen the number of broken trailers on the N4 towards Moz before Christmas. At least 1 every 5 km's. Mostly wheel bearings
    Saw that last year and wondered, as most were obviuosly overloaded and behind taxis, how much do they pay for lunch money every time they are stopped?
    Noticed in some areas they were pulled over every 20 ks by a different set of "law enforcers"
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

Sadly it is not limited to Venter rubbish trailers, a large number of camping trailers and Caravans move once a year and then the owners expect them to be 100% the next time without any kind of service or tlc.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for Metalian & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

I have been at the side of road twice in the last year. A slow learner perhaps!
    Anyway I service my own trAiler but what kills it is the sea.
    That has it own trials and it seems that very few ski boaters actually have road legal rigs. Basically the overrun brakes will cause the whole thing to go pearshaped as soon as you put it in the sea so most of them just run unbraked axles even though they are over 750kgs.
    One chap I was speaking to at the pe ski boat club who runs the diver boat there said that every year he replaces the Axle and springs, and then does the bearings about once a month.

I am now traveling with a small tub of grease, as well as bearings and seals in the tow vehicle.
    Most members here should also know that tyres lost about 5 years, and trailer tyres are always going to go before they wear out.

In most cases I don't know the trailer bearings are gone until I stop and see the carnage. Now I try and stop more regularly and just feel the dust caps on the bearings.
    We had a friend that actually set fire to the roadside bush and did not realize she was pulling her boat on what was left of the stub axle as you tend not to hear and feel it in a modern tow car until it is too late.
    The braces and belt crew might want to also consider taking a spare wheel hub along.

This might also be something to consider if you are in the habit, like me, of dunking your axle in the sea.
    http://www.bearingbuddy.com/why.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

One should start a little trailer fan club!
    Poor things are just dragged around the country,
    cant 'see' where they're going and die looking rather sad-
    yet they're always willing little chaps!!

I've been meaning to service my little trailer. Its used predominantly for the weekend garden refuse trips to the dump, but I know the day will come when I need it to do the long haul.

Is there a simple tutorial to servicing the thing ala DIY? Never done something like this before.
    Ross

Hi

Where do you guys service your trailers?

The issue with these trailers are that they dont get used often,and then they get neglected. I use my Venter often, 4 times a year for hunting, few times for going away and Decembers to the Cape. I replaced my axle with one that comes with Sealed hubs(bearings.) Its non servicable bearings, like those of a car. I also replaced the leaf springs with 5 blade ones from the original 4 blade. Now my bearings on the trailer is non service bearings, you dont have to grease them, dont have to check the lock nut nothing. It also tightens with a big nut with a flanch that can only be used once. So when its tighten, its done. if you loosen it you have to replace it. The tires are also a concern, I fitted 8 ply caravan tyres rated at 600 kg carry ability each. When I do store my trailer I lift it and put the back two corners in the air on tresses, and the wheels in the air.

Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DiD Auto 4x4 DC (Hunting Frame)(Canvas canopy)
    And Pajero Sport 3.2 DiD GLS Auto (De-Cat),(EGR Blanked), 147Kw 460NM (Software mapping)
    Bash plate,G Box Plate,Roof Rack,LR Tank,Snorkel,50 mm lift,Rock sliders,Dual Battery system

They look like this, I bought it at Roadque in Silverton. You can also see the nut in the pic. My specific bearing is the same as a city Golf front wheel bearing, I am going to install this in the boat trailer as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2017/01/09 at 11:35 AM.

And Pajero Sport 3.2 DiD GLS Auto (De-Cat),(EGR Blanked), 147Kw 460NM (Software mapping)
    Bash plate,G Box Plate,Roof Rack,LR Tank,Snorkel,50 mm lift,Rock sliders,Dual Battery system

Another little upgrade i did, was replacing the useless little Jockey wheel with a bog one, its easier to move it over the grass and cobbles etc. I had a big jockey from a old trailer in the garage, cut the bracket arms off, cut the small trailers jockey off, welded the bigger one in. I had to do this because i was forced to keep the old "pipe" due to the size of the original wheels pipe. Otherwise i had to do whole new bracket etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Never understood the 'no maintenance' brigade.....

Used to do all my own maintenance on my vehicles and trailers, but stopped that some years ago.

Trailers can be serviced, usually very reasonably by the same indie who looks after your vehicle. If it's a boat trailer, the guys who are servicing your motor and boat, will cheerfully add a couple of wheel bearings into the mix, usually reasonably.

When I start off, I travel about an hour, then pull over at a convenient spot, and check the temperatures of the trailer tyres/rims/hubs with the back of my hand. As far as I'm concerned, anything more than a pleasant warmth is getting too hot, and any signs of spraying grease is an ultimatum. I also check the temperature on the towball, and make sure the safety chain hasn't bounced off, and the electrical connection is still good.
    ( I guess this constitutes a HUG )

This helps prevent unwanted blow-outs and bearing failures, and adds about a minute onto the journey time.

I will then stop about every two - three hours after that (SWAMBO and comfort stop), especially if the trailer is heavily loaded, or speeds are high, or the road is bad.
    Last edited by SteveHarris; 2017/01/09 at 12:52 PM.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce

God did not create any stupid people on His earth. But there are many who are intellectually dormant, or wilfully ignorant.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveHarris For This Useful Post: