Nav head unit vs. non - way too expensive?

Default Nav head unit vs. non - way too expensive?

Hi all,

So I've been trying with the idea of installing the a Caska or similar head unit into my Pajero SWB.

What's been holding me back is price... I just can't see how +R12k is worth it.

I stopped at a car sound place today to look at options and put together a solution which includes:

- Double din head unit w/out nav but includes BT, radiometri, etc. R5500 installed including backing plate.

- Speaker upgrade R2500.

- Garmin DriveLuxe 50LMT for R4800.

So for marginally more, I get all the features of a premium head unit including improved sound and a portable nav.

Sounds like a no brainer to me but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd run it by you guys to see if I'm missing anything.

I guess the only drawback is the Garmin on the windscreen / dash vs built in.

What do you think?

Default Re: Nav head unit vs. non - way too expensive?

I personally like the Garmin on the dash. Looking down at the GPS, even a few inches, takes away from your peripheral vision (eyes off the road) especially while fiddling to enter address or way-point. I prefer old trustworthy....Garmin on the dash.

Please take into consideration that I am not a huge sound person so standard radio for me is fine. I switch the thing off when I am in the bush anyway.

Just don't buy a cheap built in Nav unit. Brightness and contrast on these built in jobbies are also lacking. Friend had a ma-fonkong in his Cruiser and was horrible. He replaced it with a Kenwood and for me personally the Kenwood is not much better....at odd R9k

I'm not a sound person either to be honest but I do want BT hands free for music and phone. I could go with a parrot but it'll be R4k installed do for an extra R1.5K I get the whole head unit.

Your point on safety of on vs in dash is a good one. Hadn't given that too much thought.

Why not consider a decent unit with built in Bluetooth and USB or other connectivity for wireless music. The navigation option seems to make them expensive. Then use a Garmin or Tom Tom for Nav? Best of both?

That's the solution I mentioned in my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by therone View Post
    That's the solution I mentioned in my OP.
    It could also be worth it looking around for a 2nd hand Mitsubishi unit with exactly what you are looking for, some folks will upgrade deluxe factory stereo units for retro fit.

Personal opinion standalone GPS units are better and prefer the old hands free earpiece and a Parrot for those crazy moments with the kids calling family.
    Last edited by Kulisto; 2016/12/27 at 12:08 PM.

I was looking for a double din unit for the Prado and finally bought this one on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-5-1-...-/262335952046
    Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  32.1 KB
    They delivered via DHL in 7 days, it was a plug and play procedure 30min before we went away for a week.
    I have also ordered the reverse camera and the front DVR camera, but all the other functions work and perform as described.
    GPS on memory stick is Igo and works perfectly, also has Google maps installed and with a small phone always on in the sunglass console as hotspot it performs 100%.
    The nice thing is it doesn't look aftermarket as it's made for the Prado.
    Total cost including import tax was <R6,000

The same dealer has units for Mitsubishi as well here: http://stores.ebay.com/myautostereo/...ub=11528527012

Hi therone,

Take a look at stopshop before you pull the trigger:

http://www.stopshop.co.za/navigation...o-dsp-obd.html

They have nice Android solutions which are plug and play and really affordable. I bought one for my Prado, running a OBD2 connection, with DVR and Desnav for navigation

It's android so you can basically download any app you want to use on it.

Plus the upgraded radio improved the sound quality, must be due to better amp output on the unit in comparison to old radio.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    AD Kotze

Bought an Eonon in the UK. Had it shipped by postbox-courier.com. Total cost just over R5000. Best investment in mobile sound I ever made.
    2009 Disco TDV6
    Echo 4