Katse Dam Boat Fishing Trip - with Pics - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Katse Dam Boat Fishing Trip - with Pics

Some piccies of our Katse trip this weekend......great as always, a bit windy, Katse is even lower than it was 2 weeks ago, I guess around 1 metre

But again stunning fishing, stunning people, and I cant wait to visit again in August again for my final 2017 Katse trips.

We left at 0530 on Saturday, taking Mariza with, with our 2 girls also away with friends etc etc.....we just couldn't get it over our hearts to leave the Blond met die Baie Kinners home alone

This was taken en route, with as always glorious views. AND hot cappuccino alongside the road....this time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse12.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	454344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse17.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	454346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse14.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	454349  
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 3 Days Ago at 10:45 PM.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Saturday's fishing was great as always........we decided to release anything under 1,5 kg (!!).........there are SO many trout here guys, you really should only keep a couple big ones and release the rest.
    Couple random fishy piccies.......:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse10.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	454357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	454359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	454360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse5.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	454361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katse11.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	454362  

Jomar my eldest boy got a 2,2 kg "Mohale Minnow" as its called.......note the pink cheeks. Beautiful fish. Katse and Mohale are the only places in the world where these are caught. Every 10th or so trout is one of these.
    They're also almost exclusively caught just under the Dam Wall, this is around 13km (45 minutes) by boat to that spot from the site where we launched.
    Damn far and damn hard work, but oh so worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sev got a 2 kg trout, and caught the most.......he had rugby last time we were at Katse, so we let the little bugger have more fish time. All smiles

I didn't do much fishing, preferring to laze away my weekend with my wife, and taking short drives along the lower Katse......LOTS of nice roads all over the place, but I still have crappy Duellers on the Hilux, so didn't take chances

Spot the little white strepie on the water.......that's my 2 pirates, of whom their Dad is SO proud and happy to be able to give them these memories.

Hulle is die mooiste 2 klein bliksempies waarvoor ek kon droom om te kon he

Last Pic - returning from a session, having done 30 km (yes 30 km) on the little duck to our spot way, way up Katse.

For others interested in this fantastic fishing/sigh seeing/relaxing trip :

1) You can stay at Ha Lejone, Motebong Lodge. This is the ONLY place where you have a launch site nearby. Nice accommodation, clean, heated, and friendly staff. 1 Bedroom +- R 1100, 2 Bed is +- R 1300, and 3 Bed is R 1600/night. Not cheap, but no alternatives, really.
    2) Mornings get cold, today was -8. During the day it's around 10.
    3) Don't even think about taking a huge boat over those passes, and the launch site is also muddy. You'll also burn fuel like there's no tomorrow with a huge outboard.
    4) Fishing Permits are R 50/person per month. You can take 10 fish per person........this is a LOT guys, if you don't really need it release the smaller ones.
    5) Make very very very sure your boat and relevant equipment is in 200% condition. This is a huge piece of water, and you find yourself all alone on it 99% of the time. If something goes wrong, its a problem.
    6) Respect and INTERACT with the locals. The Basotho is a wonderful people........friendly, honest and tough. You can leave your car at that launch site for a year with windows open and key in the ignition, it will be there when you get back.
    7) DO NOT GIVE THE KIDS SWEETS. By all means, give them food or old clothes or your new VX 200 or your boat - ANYTHING but handing out sweets to the kids like you are a shareholder of the M&M company. Kids are running all over the place and across the roads to you shouting "sweets sweets" or "pompong pompong" ( sweets in Sotho)........and this is ALL the fault of tourists handing out packs of cheap toffees. Some people even throw sweets out their cars' windows, watching the kids pickig them up in the tar road in their R 500 000 4X4's rear mirrors.........WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU

Finally, enjoy and relax. Savour the quietness and the friendliness and the honesty and the "proudness" of the Basotho, and you will go back there, over and over and over again - like me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

It looks like a stunning getaway Petri....thank you for an informative and entertaining thread....."adds Katse to bucket list".......what permits are required to fish, and do you need a skippers license for an inflatable?

Quote Originally Posted by Markus and Zelda View Post
    It looks like a stunning getaway Petri....thank you for an informative and entertaining thread....."adds Katse to bucket list".......what permits are required to fish, and do you need a skippers license for an inflatable?
    Markus, you buy the Fishing Permit at Motebong Lodge, R 50/person (Angler) per month or (I think) R 400 for a Year. There are quite a few G4 security guards all around the launch site (guarding the water tower etc etc), and they do ask for a permit (which is great anyway).

Been a Century since I did my Skippers, but as far as I know Skippers is only required for craft more than 4 metres or with an outboard more than 15HP........that's why I use that little boat, Sev can also use it (my younger son, 13). Jomar has a Skippers already.

So - doesn't matter what type of boat, rigid or inflatable - under 4 metres and 15 HP is fine.

Rubber ducks also don't need Floatation Certificates, they have inflatable pontoons.

But I have NEVER been asked to produce a Skippers at Katse.

A small boat is fine on Katse........say about a 3 metre for 2 people minimum, and around 4 metres for 3 people. 4 is a crowd on a boat, now matter how big.

I'm not a paranoid guy at all, but like I said Katse is huge. IF you run into even as small an issue as a dead plug you're in trouble.........the banks are steep everywhere, and NO way to retrieve a boat anywhere except 2 or 3 places on the whole dam.

Hypothermia is a very real threat I think, should you find yourself in the water. It's cold as ice.

I was actually SO gatvol for myself this morning. Sev threw a couple fly lines first before getting on the boat with his Boet. He got on with his waders (see pic above), and spend the whole day on the boat with them on.
    If you fall in the water with those, air bubbles get to your (sealed) boots, meaning head down and ankles up, meaning an extremely dangerous situation. I was VERY gatvol for myself, never learning the boys to never, never, never ever wear waders in deep water. let alone a dam.

Another thing I won't do without again are 2 cheapie Jet Store cell phones, buy 2 pay as you go Lesotho Sims, and then the boat can be in contact with whomever is on the other side.

But ja, after all this bla bla bla I think Katse is as safe or as dangerous as you make it.

One last thing........a small light boat is ideal, BUT don't try exploring Katse with a small 2 or 5HP outboard. If it gets windy you'll get nowhere. The boat must be able to plane quickly with the number of people you intend to be, and keep a decent speed of around 25 - 30 km/h.

Maybe, maybe one day I'll take the big boat up there - but that's a huge maybe. The little Suzumar we have is really perfect there.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info Petri....I see you are in Bethlehem.....We are around there often as my daughter and her husband farm near Harrismith.....you must be freezing at this time of the year....🤣.....we are booked into Kwantani for my birthday in November....have you been there at all?

Qwantani is STUNNING Markus.......do you have a boat??

We've been there more times than I can remember.

Nice harbour, braaiplekke alomgside the water, the houses are VERY nice and tidy, great pool. Lekker bar. Only cell reception at bar area. Wifi. Small but stocked shop. There's a spa. Tennis courts.

If you're towing a boat there just take it easy from the turn-off - that road is HORRIBLE, full of potholes.

You should see the water to believe it......clearer than salt water. Just take it very very easy if the wind blows.....many many boats have gone under there. You can see them with the echo sounder.

VERY deep dam, I've seen depths of more than 90 metres at the wam wall.

It's basically us Vrystaters' deep sea venue.......120 km from me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Wife..........."You love your fishing over weekends hey Lovie?"

Hubby........."Oh yes Dear I do"

Wife..........."Well your fish just called, she's pregnant"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Just swapped the caravan for an off road trailer and have started pestering SWAMBO for a boat....could not be bothered with a skippers , and sea boats are just too expensive.....so will probably look at a small inflatable with a 15hp as you advised. I live in Durban, so I should really be going out to sea, but feel that I am way to inexperienced, having done all my boating on the Vaal.....going out to sea is next level, and REALLY expensive.

Markus

15HP on a small 3,9m boat is quite lekker. And very VERY light on fuel. I'd say if you intend using it with max 2 persons its fine. Biggest advantage is it launches SO easy - that's why I leave the Grootboot home.

But at sea level it should plane with 3/4 adults - easy.

My 2 boys and I are together around 270kg........it planes easy peasy here and lower altitudes, but battles a LOT at Katse.

I have a 4 stroke, much quieter and cleaner, you dont fiddle with 2 stroke botteltjies and all that.

I'm a Yamaha fan, but that Suzuki has'nt skipped a beat - not ever. So I'm happy. And we use it hard, this weekend alone we went out to that upper spot 4 times. Distance on GPS is 13 km each way. With trolling etc etc, I estimate we did around 70 km on the water, windy, so it was full taps most of the time.

This size is PERFECT for you in estuaries, bass dams, rivers, and bay fishing (like in Durbs)..........

Duck vs rigid...........I've had both, and every time I go back to inflatable. They just SO stable, especially when doing stand-up fishing (which we do a lot).

Check out Suzumar, Infanta, and also ARK inflatables.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Markus

15HP on a small 3,9m boat is quite lekker. And very VERY light on fuel. I'd say if you intend using it with max 2 persons its fine. Biggest advantage is it launches SO easy - that's why I leave the Grootboot home.

But at sea level it should plane with 3/4 adults - easy.

My 2 boys and I are together around 270kg........it planes easy peasy here and lower altitudes, but battles a LOT at Katse.

I have a 4 stroke, much quieter and cleaner, you dont fiddle with 2 stroke botteltjies and all that.

I'm a Yamaha fan, but that Suzuki has'nt skipped a beat - not ever. So I'm happy. And we use it hard, this weekend alone we went out to that upper spot 4 times. Distance on GPS is 13 km each way. With trolling etc etc, I estimate we did around 70 km on the water, windy, so it was full taps most of the time.

This size is PERFECT for you in estuaries, bass dams, rivers, and bay fishing (like in Durbs)..........

Duck vs rigid...........I've had both, and every time I go back to inflatable. They just SO stable, especially when doing stand-up fishing (which we do a lot).

Check out Suzumar, Infanta, and also ARK inflatables.
    Thanks Petri, appreciate the advice....will keep you posted and maybe wet a line together at Qwantani sometime.

Petri wat is die grootste forel wat die manne al vasgetrap het daar?

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Petri wat is die grootste forel wat die manne al vasgetrap het daar?
    carl, daar is nie mense wat nou daar vang nie. Dam is te leeg, so jy moet op 'n sekere plek gaan launch. En daai spot van ons is VER op - 13km.

So.......weet nie rerig nie. Op al my trips het ek nie een ander boot op die hele Katse gesien nie.

Maar ek dink ons 2kg+ sizes is nie sleg nie.

Daar behoort 3kg monsters daar rond te swem dink ek.......ons vang gemiddeld 1,6+ kg, en redelik gereeld 2kg+.

2kg forelle is baie goed. Ek glo soos die tyd aangaan sal die groottes kom.

Ek dink Post 30 se trout was dalk swaarder as Post 43 se 2,2kg s'n Carl........maar het nie die skaaltjie gehad nie so dit klink soos 'n Fishermans Tale

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3