Quote Originally Posted by Flyer7 View Post

+1 on making this a sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by johannes14 View Post
    +1 Very good idea. Send the big boss a pm and ask NICELY
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I like this, maybe we can ask the mods to get a sticky going
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknocker View Post
    Subscribed.

Can we move this to Gauteng and make it a sticky?.....
    No problem. I suggest we leave it in camping as this could get better support from other campers as well. The more phodies the better and if possible what activities or draw cards to the resort like 4x4 or game drives, birding, swimming pools. tv room

If possible give it a safety rating as well, a lot of folks go during the week when these places are quiet....

Lets keep it to a 250 - 300 km radius from joburg or pta but if it is a special recommendation lets have it a well
    Last edited by hbannink; 2015/12/24 at 12:08 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for Metalian & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by HenkSmit View Post
    Ezemvelo is very nice, just don't leave anything outside your car or tent, apes stole our nik naks... Alot of people complain about the road, but I went there with my old fiesta, no problems. There is a better road will post a screenshot.
    Agree, nice place with a pool and shop on site (not sure how stocked the shop is) We got there during a rain storm and despite being told that there would be no problem to enter at 8 pm there were nobody around and we had to make other arrangements for a camping spot late at night, I was not chuffed.

The ablutions are adequate, nothing special. The camp is on a slight hill and has enough trees to make it pleasant but...........it is right next to a koppie that houses dassies and black faced thieving monkeys so be aware.
    Birding was disappointing as was the game driving nothing spectacular but a great place just to relax and ave fun with the kids in the pool.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150316-WA0002s.jpg 
Views:	3186 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	381687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150316-WA0000s.jpg 
Views:	3215 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	381688  
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Agree, nice place with a pool and shop on site (not sure how stocked the shop is) We got there during a rain storm and despite being told that there would be no problem to enter at 8 pm there were nobody around and we had to make other arrangements for a camping spot late at night, I was not chuffed.

The ablutions are adequate, nothing special. The camp is on a slight hill and has enough trees to make it pleasant but...........it is right next to a koppie that houses dassies and black faced thieving monkeys so be aware.
    Birding was disappointing as was the game driving nothing spectacular but a great place just to relax and ave fun with the kids in the pool.

Dankie Oom.

What about Marakele NP very nice camping at bontle camp.
    2009 3.0 CRD Mazda bt-50 4x2
    Jacil canvas canopy
    Jurgens XT65
    Tentco Jnr 1.4m
    Raliegh 6.0 Hardtail MTB
    Marin san marino road bike campagnolo centaur 10 speed

Bontle is typical of your Sanparks camps, it is neat and quiet and the bathrooms are relatively old but spotless. If you are a nature lover this is one destination you must visit, besides large herbivores visiting the camp there are a myriad of smaller "camp critters". Spring hare are plentiful at night when the camp has gone quiet as well as lesser bushbaby with ostrich wandering about in the daytime picking tidbits from the braai grids.

Unlike Kruger the atmosphere is one of relaxation, there is a waterhole in front of the unfenced camp and game come to you instead of you chasing after them. there are enough posts about Marakele so I will only concentrate on accommodation.
    Tlopi tented cam is a great alternative for the folks who don't camp with tents on stilts in the big section of the park. Situated next to a dam visitors are treated to large herds of elephant and predators dinking as well as the normal game and birds.

Bontle camp

Tlopi tents

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_1111s.jpg 
Views:	2617 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	381912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_1442es.jpg 
Views:	2649 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	381913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040680e.jpg 
Views:	2606 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	381914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040690e.jpg 
Views:	2619 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	381915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040692e.jpg 
Views:	2616 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	381916  
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Pilanesberg game reserve.

Pilanesberg has 2 camp sites Manyane and Bakgatla.

Situated inthe remains of an ancient volcano Pilanesberg has had as many ups and downs in present day as in ancient times. Built on reclaimed farm land and stocked in one of the biggest game trans locations called project genesis it has had to contend with various management changes that saw the hugely successful park flounder and become one where there were more game on the menu at Manyane than on the veld. Presently I am happy to say things are on the up again with the previous herds being built up again.

Manyane camp is the big baby with swimming pools and trampolines for the kids while adults can enjoy the restaurant and bar facilities. The camp is neat and ablutions are not too bad and presently undergoing renovations.
    Camp atmosphere is more like an Aventura resort than a game reserve with a buzz and children running around and riding their bikes. It is nothing strange to find huge gatherings with the obligatory open boot with loud music from fellow campers. Once the camp has come to rest the local shebeen takes over and the heavy bass thumping ensures you a restless night. On a positive note the camp life is quite interesting with a few impala and other mammals as well as a variety of birds in camp.

Bakgatla is on the other side of the park with slightly more slanted sites and not as many trees this camp has adequate ablutions and is not as busy. For some strange reason there are no camp critters in this camp. I am not sure about night time entertainment from either wildlife or local life since I only passed through. I will try it net time I gather enough strength to camp there again. I prefer to hear jackal calling not Mafikizolo
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Subscribed
    '07 Jeep Cherokee CRD Limited.

Harley Davidson Night Rod Special.

EX Colt Rodeo 2.8D Rodeo D/C
    EX Harley Davidson 1200 Custom Sportster

Sadly Bakgatla allows day visitors into campsites....this pic taken this weekend !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

Was at Bakgatla this last week. Besides 40 degree temps and water shortages it was fine.

Saw all of the big 5 in the reserve.

Default Bergsig trout farm

40 minuets from JHB Lovlely VERY QUITE and KEEP IT LIKE THAT in Muldersdrift, with Trout and bass fishing. The owners still getting her act together but if you happy to walk 400 m for a shower or toilet fine. Very very basic . Need own power and or toilet if camping along river.

Very natural and beautiful river side camping seanic. Can't vouch for safety.

Love the thread make it STICKY , what ever that is. No shop come well equipped. But in the Cradel of mankind.

I have urged owner to work on this is this could be a blue white diamond in the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape2cario View Post
    40 minuets from JHB Lovlely VERY QUITE and KEEP IT LIKE THAT in Muldersdrift, with Trout and bass fishing. The owners still getting her act together but if you happy to walk 400 m for a shower or toilet fine. Very very basic . Need own power and or toilet if camping along river.

Very natural and beautiful river side camping seanic. Can't vouch for safety.

Love the thread make it STICKY , what ever that is. No shop come well equipped. But in the Cradel of mankind.

I have urged owner to work on this is this could be a blue white diamond in the rough.
    ...and the name is..... wait for it.....
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

Anyone been to Baja Dam near bronkhorspruit dam?

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    ...and the name is..... wait for it.....
    Wake up DuncanG!!! (LOL)

"Bergsig trout farm"

as in the title of the post...
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2015/12/28 at 12:30 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti with RTT (extra luggage space for customers) on Guiding trips.
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Default Botsalano

One of my favourite spots is Botsalano Game reserve. Not that close to GP I suppose (284km from Randburg). Last stretch after Zeerust is a bit tedious as the speed limit is 60kmh (informal settlements) so total driving time usually around 3h, 40min.

4 bush campsites; Lerako, Legora, Sentry Hill and Haak en Steek (called Safari now I think) - A rating. There is also public camp site (Ablutions, hot water via donkey, no power) and a tented camp (en-suite, gas, solar lights, no power). My choice is Lerako and Sentry Hill, albeit Lerako has lost some trees so very little shade at the moment.

A few posts on it already so won't labour the point too much but very quiet and relaxed. Been the only people in the whole reserve a few times as well. Only negative comment I have is over public holidays there is sometimes some gumba-gumba action coming from nearby settlements :P, nothing too extreme to date though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fortuner D4-D 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2D - sold
    Prado 150 3.0 VX - sold
    Pajero CK DiD - sold

1. Somabula - Cullinen
    2. Kagasane Mountain Sanctuary - Rustenburg
    3. AfriSun - Barnardsvlei Mooinooi
    4. De Rust - Dinokeng
    Mahindra Scorpio 2009 2.6TD GLX 7 seater 4x4
    Camptech Bosvelder trailer
    EGR blanked off & Cat removed & Rocksliders & Bash plate & Torsion lift
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA

Thabaphaswa, just north of Potgietersrus - 2h00 to 2h30 from PTA. Camp sites in the bush, far from neighbours, open air flush toilets and showers - with donkie. Best for me to date.

Going camping this weekend. Looking at websites, my gut says to try and get a site at Willem's Rus, close to a waterhole.

Alternatives would be Somabula or De Rust.

Any suggestions.
    '97 Disco Tdi

Default Re: Your top camping spots close to GP

Bergsig Trout farm

Can any one suggest some great camping near JHB max drive 2 hours where there tons to do for the kids.

I like to avoid going both as plan to leave Friday and the M1 from 3 pm is crazy slow from JHB -Pretoria , but if great we leave early Saterday
    Last edited by Cape2cario; 2016/02/07 at 08:12 PM.

Treat yourself with a visit to the Tswaing crater .. really an impressive 'gat' to see .. good accomodation last time we were there.
    Last edited by Gaitshi Gubib; 2016/02/07 at 08:31 PM.
    Johan Mitchell, Swambo : Marthie.

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast