Marakele - Bontle: kids bikes

Default Marakele - Bontle: kids bikes

Hi, I would like to find out whether it's worth it taking bikes for kids (7,9,13) to ride around Bontle campsite. Is the campsite big enough for them to feel like they are exploring, or will they only do 2 loops and dump the bikes for the rest of the weekend?

Thanks in advance ...

You are aware of the fact that there are animals in the camp?
    I don't think they would like the two wheel competition.

I don't think bicycles are allowed at Marakele
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Bontle rest camp has three "loops" in the camping area, Rhino, Tsessabe and Sable. I am sure that they are large enough for the kids to bike around. However, I would first check with SANPB as to whether or not this activity is allowed in the camping area before lugging the bikes all the way only to find that cycling is not permitted. We stayed there just a few days ago and loved it. Saw bush babies jumping through the trees in Tsessabe just after sunset as well as rhino at the waterhole amongst others. Enjoy!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by W3771M View Post
    You are aware of the fact that there are animals in the camp?
    I don't think they would like the two wheel competition.

I don't think bicycles are allowed at Marakele
    Thanks.

Yes, I'm aware of the animals. Didn't know they're in such abundance to be a danger.

I contacted Marakele and they confirmed bikes are allowed in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vroommm View Post
    Hi, I would like to find out whether it's worth it taking bikes for kids (7,9,13) to ride around Bontle campsite. Is the campsite big enough for them to feel like they are exploring, or will they only do 2 loops and dump the bikes for the rest of the weekend?

Thanks in advance ...
    I don't normally let the kids run around unattended at Bontle. I want them under my or SWAMBO's supervision at all times, and I'd personally not recommend kids cycle around alone.

A couple of reasons for this. Mainly, it is an unfenced camp. Although predators are located on the other side of the park from Bontle, and there is a fence between the two halves, there is large game (not going to say what over here) which can be considered dangerous on the Bontle side. As such, there is a possibility that this game can come through the camp site at any time. Even though I've never seen this animal in the camp-site itself, I've come across them pretty close by before in the past and I don't feel very comfortable with them ambling around my kids.

There are also a few "nuisance" ostrich in the camp. I assume people have fed them before in the past, but they're rather aggressive sometimes. I've had unpleasant experiences with them in the past when I've had to scare them off after they've wandered right into my gazebo to try and take food from the table as we've been eating. The got fairly peeved with me at the time as well.

Finally, the roads / tracks are probably not particularly suited to cycling.

I tend to be very cautious with my kids (they're 7 and 11, by the way) when we're there, but I'd rather err on the side of caution than live with regret. In short: it is your call. different strokes for different folks.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I don't normally let the kids run around unattended at Bontle. I want them under my or SWAMBO's supervision at all times, and I'd personally not recommend kids cycle around alone.

A couple of reasons for this. Mainly, it is an unfenced camp. Although predators are located on the other side of the park from Bontle, and there is a fence between the two halves, there is large game (not going to say what over here) which can be considered dangerous on the Bontle side. As such, there is a possibility that this game can come through the camp site at any time. Even though I've never seen this animal in the camp-site itself, I've come across them pretty close by before in the past and I don't feel very comfortable with them ambling around my kids.

There are also a few "nuisance" ostrich in the camp. I assume people have fed them before in the past, but they're rather aggressive sometimes. I've had unpleasant experiences with them in the past when I've had to scare them off after they've wandered right into my gazebo to try and take food from the table as we've been eating. The got fairly peeved with me at the time as well.

Finally, the roads / tracks are probably not particularly suited to cycling.

I tend to be very cautious with my kids (they're 7 and 11, by the way) when we're there, but I'd rather err on the side of caution than live with regret. In short: it is your call. different strokes for different folks.

Ian
    Thanks Ian, very usefull info. I won't be taking bikes then.

Regards, Con

Quote Originally Posted by Vroommm View Post
    Thanks Ian, very usefull info. I won't be taking bikes then.
    Regards, Con
    Good call, the aggressive ostrich would be my main concern - probably the same one we had raiding our camp earlier this year, he was very aggressive and persistent.