Great job!
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine

Default Re: leaf suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    sort off reviving an old thread. Question: With the spacers that you added under the leaves, did you drill or use the old holes and extended the centre bolt of leave spring pack?
    Hi Dwayne

I used the old holes and cut both sides off a little bit to adjust size.

By the way, it has been more than a year now, I used the trailer the last year and traveled normal gravel roads and long distances on the tar road, had no problems.

I am actually selling this one, started a new one from scratch. Selling it with the gear (6 groceries drawers and wooden drawers with high density foam with 6 set cutlery and crockery and glasses, gasbottle and jerry can, see photos in thread). If anyone is maybe interested PM me.
    Mitshibitshi Pajero 2010 LWB 3.2d
    Isuzu KB250 2001 SingleCab
    Honda FRV
    Fiat Panda Climbing 4x4 1.2l
    Camping trailer (modified Venter trailer)

Quote Originally Posted by thejester View Post
    Hi Dwayne

By the way, it has been more than a year now, I used the trailer the last year and traveled normal gravel roads and long distances on the tar road, had no problems.

I am actually selling this one, started a new one from scratch. Selling it with the gear (6 groceries drawers and wooden drawers with high density foam with 6 set cutlery and crockery and glasses, gasbottle and jerry can, see photos in thread). If anyone is maybe interested PM me.
    Thanks, thejester.
    I have an 5ft elite with 10 inch wheels. I am hoping to fit 14inch with a +-30mm spacer as you have done.
    Worst case 13 inch. I just want to feel more at ease when doing a bit of gravel when camping.

Hi Dwayne

Hi there again i see this post is quite old but hope i could ask you a question, i saw a few mentions of replacing the axel, i have redon a venter about a 2001 model also gvm 567kg , with the new box and nose cone i weighed it its tare is 340kg, i spoke to someone at venter they recon the axel should be good up to 750kg like th e newer ones. My question is have you weighed yours and without changin the axel how may kg have you loaded without issue , with all my camp gear i will be a bout 650gvm and am wondering if it is necessary to change the axel . So far no problems but would like to hear your experience

Default Re: Modify old Venter trailer to use as a camping trailer

Eish!

I have a bog standard 199x (?) Glider Hunter trailer fitted with re-enforced frame and Howling Moon RTT (Yes, not TTT).

The only mods have been conversion to to larger high profile tires and rims, extra leaf spring, and trailer-cuff (thanks for that to supplier for testing - report will follow after next major offload trip)

We have been to places via "ex-roads / tracks / river-beds" throughout Southern Africa over the years that no respectable trailer (or many off-road trailers for that matter) should ever be taken.

I am talking many 10 000's of Km over a time span of 10 years + give or take a few months.

Minimal problems.

Initially broken leaf springs - In Zambia and again on The Wild Coast in RSA - solved by adding an extra leaf and mod to connection points on frame.

Never ever had a puncture or tire failure (YET!!) - Tempting fate here ...

Snapped the goose-neck bolts on the infamous track from the "main" road between Chizareira NP to Tashinga camp (Matusadonna) in Zimbabwe- replaced goose-neck and replaced high tensile bolts.

Re-enforcing frame for RTT fitting to trailer lid (top) due to developing metal fatigue and cracking at flex points.

Recently new tires,

Yes, you DO NEED TO TRAVEL EXTREMELY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY off-road - as in river beds, rocky tracks or river crossings.
    On "normal" track or gravel - proceed with caution.

For the rest - drive intelligently and do not hurry - it's all about the journey .....

We know VERY well about doing these kind of trips on a shoe string!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Should you decide to sell and start a new project have a look at the following;
    a. Rims and tires same size as what you tow vehicle uses (very handy in the middle of no where)
    b. get the axle distance correct, in off road trailers the axle is placed a bit further backward (stability)
    c. ensure you have shocks and proper blade springs with proper mountings (use proper 8.8 bolts and thick steel for the mounts)
    d. stick to the minimum height of an off road trailer so it does not go top heavy.
    e. mount a proper TTT.
    f. Use a proper coupler that is made for off road use.

I have seen Peter1949 trailer and it works.

We had an Echo 4 and it did 44 000 km in 6 years with some very bad roads (sometimes no road).
    Never had an issue
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

Hi Shaggy

I agree the axle will be able to carry to 750kg, but I would not go over the weight, because it is not just about the axle. If your GVM of your trailer is 567kg, then the axle, leaf springs, tyres and goose-neck is rated to carry that weight. Leaf springs and goose-necks break alot if trailers are overloaded. So unless you you replaced all of those, I would stick to the GVM. The kg rating is on the tyres. For the leafsprings, the amount blades would be an indication of the weight rating.

I did not weigh my trailer, but I took the tare weight and weighed and added up all the material and camping equipment that I added. I am around 500kg. I only carry 40l water and no TTT.
    Honda FRV

Hi Danie

Thanks for the advice.

We started the next trailer, building this time from scratch, but progress is painfully slow being a dad with 3 kids with a million activities. See photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_8053.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	478405
    Honda FRV

Hi Danie

Thanks for the advice.

We started the next trailer, building this time from scratch, but progress is painfully slow being a dad with 3 kids with a million activities. See photo.

Lyk netjies sovÍr.

Hi Danie

Thanks for the advice.

Baie Netjies!
    Wees net versigtig vir gewig en oor laai.

Ek verkies 'n geremde sleepding.
    Rede - 750 kg kan nogal stoot op 'n grondpad gelaai in 'n draai op die afdraad.
    Net bestuurs vernuf en BAIE GELUK het gekeer dat ons nie die pad verlaat nie.

Net daar en dan het ek besluit dat geen sleepwa meer as 2kg gehak word wat ongerem is nie.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Hi Shaggy

I agree the axle will be able to carry to 750kg, but I would not go over the weight, because it is not just about the axle. If your GVM of your trailer is 567kg, then the axle, leaf springs, tyres and goose-neck is rated to carry that weight. Leaf springs and goose-necks break alot if trailers are overloaded. So unless you you replaced all of those, I would stick to the GVM. The kg rating is on the tyres. For the leafsprings, the amount blades would be an indication of the weight rating.

I did not weigh my trailer, but I took the tare weight and weighed and added up all the material and camping equipment that I added. I am around 500kg. I only carry 40l water and no TTT.
    I have upgraded 10" to 13" rated at 437kg, leafe springs i had a company add only a sigle blade

Cool Re: Modify old Venter trailer to use as a camping trailer

Hi Shaggy

I have upgraded rims and tyres 10" to 13" rated at 437kg so should be good there, leafe springs i had a company add only a sigle blade to each side but they do truck springs and the blade makes it very sturdy and raised it 2 to 3 inches, i did replace the ball coupler with a 750kg rated one. Only thing i was sill worried about was the axle. All my gear and trailer tar i am about 640 kg so not too far over hopefully im good to go like that. Having said that if there are no weigh bridges :-) ofbi got this right the pics should attach
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170707_094629.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	479255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170705_174323.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	479256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170705_174447.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	479257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170705_174458.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	479258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_164124.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	479259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_164129.jpg 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	479260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170608_164137.jpg 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	479261  

Hi Shaggy

Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Saggy

First of all, well done with the work on the trailer! That is a job well done!

Okay so the leave springs are sorted, tyres are rated
    437kg per tyre, so that is sorted out, goose-nek sorted. In my opinion the axle will hold, as far as I know, they don't make 567kg axles, they are all 750kg axles. Can anyone else comment on this?

Another thing that might help, you can easily see if the axle of a trailer is overloaded. When it is overloaded, the trailer wheels starts angling, the bottom of the wheel kicks out, and the axle bends downward. So if fully loaded, check for that.

What about the legal issue that you will be overloaded according to your registered GVM of your trailer, that might still be a problem even if you replace the axle?

Honda FRV

Hi Saggy

First of all, well done with the work on the trailer! That is a job well done!

Okay so the leave springs are sorted, tyres are rated
    437kg per tyre, so that is sorted out, goose-nek sorted. In my opinion the axle will hold, as far as I know, they don't make 567kg axles, they are all 750kg axles. Can anyone else comment on this?

Another thing that might help, you can easily see if the axle of a trailer is overloaded. When it is overloaded, the trailer wheels starts angling, the bottom of the wheel kicks out, and the axle bends downward. So if fully loaded, check for that.

What about the legal issue that you will be overloaded according to your registered GVM of your trailer, that might still be a problem even if you replace the axle?

Thanks for the feedback, next trip i will check for the wheels kicking out. As for the legal implications i have read a few threads about increasing the gvm on a trailer seems some places are a mission some are not, also depends on the cost it would be silly to over invest in the trailer, but if the trailer will last then its an option to look at, for the time being will test at max gvm and see how it goes im more worried about it being safe with the mods at max weight than being a little over on the kgs. I can still load the bakkie, its more for at the camp site to have an easy acces trailer with all the goodies in one spot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3