SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 9

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

I am shocked to note that it is 11days since I last had wi-fi to post updates. These have now been done.

We are recovering from the rigors of remote African travel at a wonderfully luxurious campsite at The Haven near Jinja on the Nile Uganda. Yes we are still here in Uganda and it has been a wonderful experience.

Our gaze is beginning to look towards Kenya and the undoubted wonders it holds. First we plan to visit Kampala and perhaps Entebbe in Uganda. I suspect we will end up having spent more than a month in this true "pearl of Africa". Goodness knows how long we will feel forced to spend in Kenya which seems to have even more wonderful places to explore. At this rate one has to wonder if we will ever reach Egypt before we reach our as yet undetermined turnaround time and the journey back home. It does not matter as we have decided to do fewer countries more thoroughly if need be,rather than trying to achieve the mythical but artificial Cape to Cairo plaudit.

To those following the blog, please let me assure you that there has been little misery and suffering involved on this trip. With adequate planning and a modicum of good luck, it really is plain sailing. We have never felt in any danger whatsoever and our reception from the local people has really been heartwarming. If you are contemplating such a trip don't hesitate and take the plunge!

We have visited the Kidepo Valley National Park in the formerly formidable north of Uganda and even technically set foot on the soil of the feared South Sudan. All fantastic experiences.

When next I post we will probably be in Kenya. We are beginning to feel a little cut off from our South African contacts, so please feel free to add any comments, either here or on the blog. Keep well.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

Glad you are enjoying the trip Stan.
    BlinkGat Products
    Manufacturing of Aluminium and
    Stainless Steel custom made Products
    Sarel 082 820 9413
    www.blinkgatproducts.com

Hello Stan,

I have just enjoyed reading through your last entries of MFNP Uganda and seen that you mentioned a problem with tsetses. After our experience in Tarangire I did a little bit of research on the possibilities of keeping this pest away. While I could not find any reliable repellent I came upon quite an intelligent solution in a German-speaking forum. Basically it is like a self-fabricated giant nylon stocking (made of mosquito netting) fitted over your car´s doors. This solution should enable one to at least drive with open windows in tsetse areas and I suppose it is more durable and effective than our somewhat amateurish solution with Velcro strip and mosquito netting.

You find attached a foto – maybe it will help you on future gamedrives.

With best regards,
    Anne
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good tip Anne!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post

We are recovering from the rigors of remote African travel at a wonderfully luxurious campsite at The Haven near Jinja on the Nile Uganda. Yes we are still here in Uganda and it has been a wonderful experience.
    Good spot to cast a Rapala for some Nile perch!

At last I caught up again!

Kidepo area and your report was fascinating. Clearly worth a visit, well done for doing it and safely as well.

Never knew there were so many areas and parks in Uganda. I have never even heard of Queen Elizabeth NP. One always just hear and read about the "main stream" parks of Tanzania and Kenya. This is really opening my horizons and upgrading my knowledge of Africa north of Zambia.

The Haven seems like the business!!
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Thanks all for your responses, they are much appreciated. Anne, great idea for the tsetses but they nail us when trying to take photos!

Tony too snoep to cough up the bucks for fishing, would have loved to though, saw some beauts.

At present in Kampala, much nicer than we feared but the big African cities are not really our prime objective. We are excited about our impending move into Kenya. Pleased to see that the faithful are still following our progress.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

This is wat you use for tsetse fly, and for malaria mosquitos . We never got bitten or stung .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Tony too snoep to cough up the bucks for fishing, would have loved to though, saw some beauts.
    You must eat fresh Nile perch at least once - it is without doubt the tastiest fish I have eaten, just fry it in olive oil.

I have posted another short update.

We have been eating plenty of fresh fish, including Nile perch thanks Tony and agree that it is absolutely delicious. At The Haven the fisherman would drive past us in the campsite on his pikipiki with a fresh Nile perch or two dangling from or strapped to the handle bars each afternoon, for the evenings menu.

Outstanding and the fresh tilapia grilled whole is not all that far behind. We will be buying some again for the freezer.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Stan, julle moet dit geniet! Dankie vir jou tyd wat jy ons meer vertel!

Mooi ry.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by Swart Jan View Post
    This is wat you use for tsetse fly, and for malaria mosquitos . We never got bitten or stung .
    Waar het jy gekoop? Google help my nie innie Kaap nie....
    LC 76 SW
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

Jy kry daai gif by die kooperasie. ( jammer Stan, voor ek weer beskuldig word ek hijack jou tread!)
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Jy kry daai gif by die kooperasie. ( jammer Stan, voor ek weer beskuldig word ek hijack jou tread!)
    Thanks Auntie..... Sorry Oom Stan!
    LC 76 SW
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

Nee wat, julle is welkom, ek wil self die Coopers goed koop. Dusver het niks vir tsestse gewerk nie.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

I see it has been 10 days since my last update, we have really been in the bundu. Today in Nakuru I was finally able to buy and set up a modem (dongle) and now will be able to post wherever there is cell phone signal.

For those that know Kenya we have been in the wilds of West Pokot and really enjoyed it and then we visited our first 2 Kenyan Rift Valley Lakes. I am posting from Kembu Campsite outside the city of Nakuru, near the small town of Njoro. We are once again alone in this lovely campsite on a dairy farm, all very colonial.

We plan now to move along quite rapidly to the Mara Conservancy (Triangle) to see if we can get lucky with the wildebeest herds again. Thereafter Nairobi for some admin and an Ethiopian visa, before making our way north via various Rift Valley Lakes and game parks more to the north, before proceeding to Ethiopia via the eastern Lake Turkana route. There is so much to see and do in Kenya which we are loving. Thank goodness for independent travel with no fixed time schedule.

Will "keep you posted".
    Landcruiser 76SW.

We are enormously relieved that you conquered the Kito Pass, enjoyed the adventure and loved the scenery and the road less travelled. Glad too that you enjoyed lakes Baringo and Bogoria. Enjoy the cool of Njoro. For private campsites in the Mara Triangle, phone Jimmy Mwendwa on +254 732 146000 but the booking fee is KShs 40000 whether you are there for one night or a week. And then you have your parks fees and camping fees, but the campsites are incredible pieces of Africa.

Hi Stan and Ann. We have been internetless ourselves for the last few weeks due to our own trip through Gonarezhou with a few other forumites - so have got a lot of catching up to do with your amazing blog. Glad to hear that things are going well. We were a little concerned at you taking on a trip of your scale alone. But all's well that ends well, so enjoy! You will never forget this trip of a lifetime and I am personally looking out for a comprehensive book on the subject with all the valuable data you are collecting along the way. Go well, Peter and Erica.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Thanks Peter and Wazungu. I have updated today on our wonderful experiences in the Masai Mara.

All is well and we are looking forward to the rest of Kenya, which is totally living up to our very high expectations.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Default Hallelujah!

Great news! Two leopards and a full scale river crossing. What luck and how lucky are we? I need to send you the details of the main route into the Mara Conservancy so that you can let other travellers know, as the route you took - on my recommendation and thinking you would be coming from western Kenya - is the more intrepid and scenic route, but not the one would normally take into the Conservancy from other directions. In brief, one would continue on the Narok-Bomet-Sotik road some 50 kms or so out of Narok and turn left (SW) heading towards Aitong and Ololoolo.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast