SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 8

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thanks for the birthday wishes all. For once not sad to be far from home.

Tony, been too busy to fish - yet. Want to nail a Nile perch at Murchison's.

We are astounded by the elegance, structure and beauty of Kigale and Rwanda. There is a bit of an update on Slow Donkey.

Tomorrow off to the south of Rwanda before working our way up north for the gorillas on 4 August. Then follows Uganda, we are thinking of cutting back a little on the game parks there. Obviously not altogether, but they are even more expensive than the rest of East Africa and I have my doubts that they represent the same value and quality as will be found in Kenya.

Anne worked out that we have visited 18 national parks or game reserves in the last three months and a bit.

Until next time.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

Stan the EL and Surrounds whatsapp group convey their birthday wishes and safe journey to you and swambo.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Tony, been too busy to fish.
    Never thought the day would come when I heard that! The boat drive on the Kazinga Channel in QE National Park is worth it for the exceptional birding.

Many happy returns of the day, Stan

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Happy birthday from a stranger. I've been following your journey with interest. We did an shorter version last year and it was life changing. Busy planning again!! Also live at the coast... Gordon's Bay. Ian Martin

Looked at the gallery on your slowdonkey.com - most enjoyable to see the photos and assume some of the glory whilst camping and travelling. How did you get out of that mud??
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

This is posted on the shores of Lake Kivu, Karongo, Rwanda.

It is warm and balmy here tonight, real shorts and slip slop weather. I hear it has been freezing back home.

We have now left Kigali and came to Lake Kivu via the Nyungwe Forest National Park.

We are enjoying Rwanda and Kigali city is something special with its cleanliness and standards approaching that of the first world. We found our visits to the Genocide memorials very moving. Tomorrow we move further north on Lake Kivu via the Congo-Nile 4X4 Trail.

Rwanda is quite a small country and after the gorilla trek we will move rapidly on to Uganda. I have posted some updates in my blog on www.slowdonkey.com
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Things must be hotting up! I have managed another post today.

In fact we are still on Lake Kivu, Rwanda, but further north at Rubona near Rabavu. We are staying at the Paradis Malahide, carpark camping. However the weather has turned lousy on us for the first time, some rain and drizzle. Unfortunately not the type of weather one would wish for when relaxing at the lakeside.

We once again have wi-fi here and I post whenever this is an internet connection but at times these are few and far between. Gorillas coming up soon, please wish us luck!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Dankie Stan!

Dit lyk baie lekker en julle moet dit geniet.

Voorspoed!
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

How many human skulls are in the one photograph in the gallery? The hair stand up on the back of my neck seeing that.

Beautiful photographs of the campsite view at the Uwinka site. Same for the Sun captured.

Enjoy!!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

Hello again to all following this thread and the Slow Donkey blog.

Things are going swimmingly well with us at Lake Bunyonyi in southern Uganda. We are staying at the Lake Bunyonyi Overland Resort with great facilities.

Since we last spoke we have had the most wonderful visit to the gorillas amongst further great experiences in Rwanda.

We will now explore Uganda which has many destinations to visit. Next will be a visit to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Keep well and I hope you enjoy the gorilla pics. Put them on your bucket list!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hey Stan,

Just read your post on the gorillas. Wonderful! I'm so glad you had the experience. Think of the number of times you will relive it over the coming years and the pleasure it will bring. You can't put a price on that.

Enjoy Uganda. it may not have the draws of some of its neighbours but that's part of its charm. We landed at Lake Bunyoni on a bank holiday and let's just say you're seeing a better side of it! I can still remember some of the songs on the 45 minute loop they played for 24 hours solid ... and the scraps between the staff and the local Ugandan families who were trying to braai surreptitiously in their "strictly no cooking allowed" accommodation.

All the best,

Lisa

Hi all. It seems we are only getting decent internet once a week to post updates. We are well and are near Fort Portal Uganda, in the region of the Rwenzori mountains, the legendary mountains of the moon. It is very beautiful and peaceful here.

We are going to take our time exploring Uganda and our future plans include some of the crater lakes, the forests, Murchisson Falls, Lake Albert, Kidepo National Park in the north and Jinja amongst other places. Uganda really is the pearl of Africa, not so much for its wildlife, but for its beautiful scenery. The people are great as well.

I have updated the blog for those that would like more detail. Keep well, till next time I have wi-fi.

Thanks itchyfeet for your continued input.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

We have been monkeying about in Uganda and still having a great time. I am posting this from Primate Lodge in the Kibale Forest National Park, where we are camping. This is chimpanzee headquarters and in fact as I posted a family of chimps moved through the lodge grounds with the normal accompanying racket.

We are enjoying Uganda far more than anticipated and will be here for a couple more weeks before heading into Kenya. There is still so much to look forward to!

Of course the blog has been updated. Keep well.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

We have been monkeying about in Uganda and still having a great time. I am posting this from Primate Lodge in the Kibale Forest National Park,
    Stan, just up the road is a local conservancy, Magombe Swamp in the Bigodi Wetlands Sanctuary. The conservancy chairperson is John Tinka, aka Tinka John, a very knowledgeable bird and primate guide (he guided us through Kibale). Magombe is a fantastic spot for birding.

From the Kibale Forest website:

Bigodi Wetland

The Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary is an fascinating area, located in Magombe swamp. this area is recognized for a extensive array of biodiversity among which are several primates species like the red colobus monkey, baboon, black & white colobus monkey, blue monkey grey cheeked, mangabey, vervet monkey, red tailed monkey and the L’Hoest monkey. Additional Mammals such as chimpanzees, Sitatunga, mongooses, bush pigs, otters plus bush bucks, also visit this swamp coming from the adjacent Kibale National Park.

The Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary is a great example of a community-based approach to the natural resources management which can be of good economic benefit to the different local residents living within this area plus the tourism industry as well.

The Bigodi is a paradise for bird watchers. Actually skilled birders can spot up to fifty new species on a bird list. Today, 138 species of bird have been recognized within the Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary. Among the major bird species within the sanctuary is the grand Blue Turaco.

this swamp is supports more than 200 species of birds, among which is the most well-known bird – Great Blue Turaco (Corythaeola Cristata). The swamp is administered by the Kibale Association for Rural and Environmental Development (Kafred), and it actually benefits greatly from the adjacent Kibale National Park, since there are a number of primates such as the chimpanzees that occasionally visit the swamp, adding on the diversity of wild animals that tourists see within the Bigodi.

Its name “Bigodi” was derived from a local Rutooro word, “kugodya”, that means ‘to walk tiredly / wearily’. It is supposed that when visitors reached the Bigodi swamp on foot, they actually were at all times too tired to go on and visit the jungle; and for this reason they decided to rest there.

Conservation of this swamp has its real benefits, since it receives more than $150 000 got from tourists each year. A fraction of this earning was used to build Bigodi Secondary School as well as a nursery school, in addition to pay salaries of the school teachers; furthermore bridges have also been constructed over swamps plus streams within the village.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/08/17 at 03:10 PM.

Hi Stan, wonderful to know that you are enjoying your trip; Uganda is certainly a unique country with many wonderful things to see and experience. When you have time available, google the story about a guy named Stone Kyambadde (not 100% sure of how to spell his surname) who is from Kampala...
    Last edited by Errol; 2015/08/20 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add text

BMW X3 2.0D

Posting from Kaniyo Pabidi Forest, now part of Murchison National Park. Will be updating the blog soon.

Tony we did the guided bird tour through Bigodi Wetlands/Magombe Swamp. As you state, it is a great outing.

Errol, I will see what I can find on Stone.

We have spent a couple of days on Lake Albert camping at Lake Albert Safari Lodge. The view there over the lake was breath taking.

We will be spending a number of days at Murchison and then plan the big trek to the isolated Kidepo National Park in the north. Uganda is looking after us well.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan, nice to see you online.

I am very far behind on your blog, but believe me I am looking forward to catching up
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Tony we did the guided bird tour through Bigodi Wetlands/Magombe Swamp. As you state, it is a great outing....

We will be spending a number of days at Murchison and then plan the big trek to the isolated Kidepo National Park in the north. Uganda is looking after us well.
    Excellent, it was a highlight for us.
    Re Kidepo, I am jealous - when we were in Uganda Kidepo was off-limits because of Karamajong cattle raiding wars and cross-border banditry.

Thanks for the replies lekhubu and Tony.

As far as Kidepo is concerned, the Karamajong have been disarmed by the Ugandan authorities and the area has been stable for some time now. However we have been warned not to return via routes too far to the east and the border.

Yes we are looking forward to this leg of the trip as this area is seldom visited and really wild. Apparently the road via Gulu and Kitgum can be done in a day from the north of Murchinson's. We shall see.

At present raining in Kaniyo Pabidi, so for the first time in a while spending some time on the forum. Greetings to all my forum friends.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast