SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 7

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Stan & Anne,

Following your blog with utmost interest. And with a bit of envy.

Arusha NP and Mt.Meru are fantastic, hidden little gems among more popular north Tancania's national parks (Tarangire, Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro) and trekking destinations (Kilimanjaro). Definitely worth a visit, even if you don't intend to climb up to the summit.

I wish you all the best for the remaining part of your fantastic adventure. I still quietly hope we will meet you somewhere on the roads of western Uganda, if you will make it to there by the end of July. We are flying to Kampala in the middle of July and will be in the western part of Uganda (Bwindi, lake Bunyoni, lake Mburo) in the last week of July.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?

For those of you that know Arusha, sitting in Fifi's Coffee Bar (has wifi) in central Arusha whilst the vehicle is undergoing another bout of TLC from Toyota. This time a front bearing. I have posted some updates.

I have now completely recovered from my illness of over 2 weeks and am feeling full of beans. After inept medical attention I took over with self-medication (contrary to all my principles) and treated myself first for bilharzia and then malaria. I am now feeling really wonderful. Raring to go and with some luck will be sleeping on Ngorogoro Crater rim this evening and then into Serengeti for 6 days.

According to herd tracker and fresh local reports the migration has split into 2 legs as usual. The first is north of Lobo Hills and the other in the Western Corridor around Kira Wira. We will spend a couple of days around Seronera in a special campsite and then 2 days at Lobo Hills Public Campsite, so will be well placed there.

In the Western Corridor we have 2 days booked at Kira Wira Special Campsite so should be well placed again. Hold thumbs that our good fortune on timing bears fruit.

Thereafter it is off to Mwanza area and Lake Victoria before making our way into Rwanda. It may be some days again before I can post. I finally managed to sort out our "modem" (dongle) today in Arusha. I thought I could not connect due to my ignorance despite the help of others. It turned out that the person I dealt with way back in Mbeya simply failed to register the sim card despite us making all the payments.

Bumped into Eric from Paris again at Arusha NP and am glad to hear that all our friends from Kigoma, Jacobsens, Lake Tanganyika are well and that Bennie's group are already safely back in Kuils River. Groete!

Till next time.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

I am glad you are fine again. Now you can continue enjoying the experience. Good luck and happy travelling
    Hermanator

Herman Smit

Posting from Simba Campsite on Ngorongoro Crater rim. Spent the day in the crater, wonderful. Tomorrow off for 6 days in Serengeti and have excellent bookings with every chance of catching up with the migrating herds.

We both feel so fortunate to have these wonderful experiences.

It will be at least a week or so before I expect to be able to post again on our blog. Have updated today. Looking forward to sharing our Serengeti experiences with you. Both of us and the vehicle are now fighting fit again.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Good to hear you're both fit and up to speed again - dress warmly tonight, Simba is always cold!

Same thing happened to us in Mbeya last year
    And the lady had over charged me too for data i was supposed to get. Records showed that no data was loaded to my sim. She must have pocketed my payment. Probably yours too.

Hi to all again. Am in Mwanza Tanzania on Lake Victoria tonight and all is fine.

We have had the most wonderful time in Serengeti. I just wish the internet was faster so I could load more photos. We are heading for Rwanda next so am not sure when I will be able to post.

I hope you enjoy the update.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Wonderful trip Stan - following every kilometer!
    Be kind to the Cruiser on those roads!
    Paul

Enjoy Stan and take care!
    Bertie

What a trip you guys had so far!!! It must have been an enormously enjoyable trip! Travel safe and stay in contact. Very interested in your experiences and are following on your website as much as possible!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. Hella Spotlights, ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

Greetings, and thanks for the comments Paul, Bertie and Koos. It is important to me that there are those that are following our blog.

We are already in Kigali Rwanda today after a long day in the saddle yesterday and I have posted some updates. Rwanda is impressing us, very organized, clean and Kigali is the most beautiful city since leaving South Africa. I have updated my posts.

There appears to be so much ahead of us to look forward to!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan!

Nice to see you on line. I am so glad that you are better and hope than Donkey's ailments are a thing of the past completely now.

I enjoyed your reports of Ngorogoro and Serengeti so much. Realy iconic parks of which I have been dreaming of a long time.

Enjoy Rwanda. I will keep following you on your blog.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Hi Lekhubu, good to hear from you. No fear I am bursting with good health. The journey is tough over bad roads with a heavily laden vehicle. Fortunately the backup for Toyota is great in Africa, provided you go to the right people. Lesson learned!

Look Serengeti is great but there is no need for our Southern African wilderness areas to stand back. It is just the wide open plains and the overwhelming numbers of animals that were so unique in our experience. Keep well!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hey Stan, have you caught any fish? TW

Hi Stan

Have a great birthday out in the bush.

PS As you can see we now also live by the sea.
    Last edited by Andre; 2015/07/27 at 07:51 AM.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

I check in (almost) every day on your blog to see if you have any new updates - a journey of a lifetime that you will never forget. Enjoy and be safe. Peter & Erica
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Happy Birthday Oom Stan! You are most certainly in the right place to enjoy!!!
    LC 76 SW
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

Happy birthday Stan!
    Paul

Happy birthday Stan the man!

Happy birthday Stan.

Knowing how a good bush chef Anne is, I'm sure you will be spoilt rotten today.

Enjoy this special day to the fullest. Kind regards
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast