SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 6

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post

I met last November at Croc Valley a German couple who was very satisfied with his overnight stop at Luangwa Bridge (including catering). They were less satisfied about Croc Valley after an elephant damaged their flip roof in the night (I moved to Wildlife after that night).

I loved Luangwa Bridge Camp..with reservations. These are my blog notes for it:

Bridge Camp, Luangwa Bridge

I’m too scared to recommend this wholeheartedly (just have a look at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...k.html#REVIEWS to see why), but I loved this place. Its wierd, seriously incomplete ( though in a way that appeals rather than detracts) and has a fanatatsic if slightly Apocaypse-now view of the South Luangwa river….
    Campsite is a bit desultory, no protection from the road, and ok but bug infested loos, slightly dirty pool. But great views, good, if expensve, food and Will is a great drinking companion. Its a bit unloved and for sale if someone else wants to love it.
    Matthew de Gale
    -----------------------------
    www.hoperoad.co.za
    Neophyte
    Land Rover Defender TD5
    ex Lada Niva 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by mdegale View Post
    I loved Luangwa Bridge Camp..with reservations. These are my blog notes for it:

Bridge Camp, Luangwa Bridge
    As Matthew no doubt has found out the further north he goes, Luangwa Bridge Camp is absolutely fine by anyone's standards. The staff are very welcoming and kind.

There are no posts from Stan on his blog since 20 May. Anyone know where they are now?
    Last edited by Barend; 2015/06/01 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Grammar

Ek dink iewers in die bos en internet toegang is baie skaars.

Wag in spanning vir sy volgende verslag.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Enjoying the trip of a lifetime!

Presume no comms in the bush there.....
    Paul

Hi everyone, yes I will have to look into the yellow card Comesa insurance further.
    It does appear the info was wrong.

I have managed to totally update the blog including some photos I was not able to download quite a while ago. We are at present at Lakeside Lodge, Lake Tanganyika in Tanzania and it is wonderful. We have seen many interesting things, had some hairy experiences but are still raring to go. We are both in great shape and are really enjoying this experience of a lifetime!

Next we are heading for Katavi National Park and then looping south via a rather seldom travelled route to reach Ruaha NP and then Selous Game Reserve. With the paucity of wifi along the way I will have to buy a Dongle and data cards.

As for Bridge Camp, I have stayed there in the past. Unfortunately not everyone is going to agree with or like everything I post in my blog. I am sure most would prefer if I tell it as I see it.

Till next time.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

Awesome Stan, travel safe and enjoy!
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    VID Bash Plates
    Ironman Suspension(F 55mm /R 65mm)
    Suzuki Snorkel + K&N OEM filter
    General Grabber 245/70r16 OR:
    Kumho KL71 245/75r16
    Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack
    Garmin Nuvi 52LM with T4A
    Lead Crystal 120Ah with CTEK D250S and 80W Bushpower solar panel

Fantastic trip! The only thing I cant seem to find is the map of your intended route?

My wife and I are doing 3 months up to Uganda starting in Aug 2015! got the route planned, but still learning and keen to read up on any information I can.

Safe travels

We are in Mbeya, Tanzania now and am posting this from the Mbeya Hotel, an Indian-run hotel, after a very good chicken tikka masala. My vehicle is undergoing its 90,000km service and there is also the small matter of repairing one of the rear leaf-spring blades and one of the front bushes need replacing. Not surprising considering the roads we have been on.

Katavi National Park was great and it is Ruaha next, then Selous. I have updated www.slowdonkey.com.

Till next time!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

??
    Last edited by Ratau; 2015/06/19 at 03:37 PM.

Finally been able to update our trip blog on www.slowdonkey.com

Apologies for the long delays between posts but we have really been in the middle of nowhere. In the places we have been for the last couple of weeks, there is not even cell phone reception never mind internet.

Since I last made contact We have visited Ruaha and Udzungwa National Parks and also Selous Game Reserve. These are 3 fantastic destinations and Anne and I feel really privileged to have been able to visit them. The most amazing thing is we had them virtually to ourselves.

Tonight we are in Dodoma, in the center of Tanzania, taking a long trek across the country to end up in Kigoma on northern Lake Tanganyika where we plan to visit Gombe Streams National Park to view the chimpanzees. This has every chance of being another highlight.

Thereafter it is off to do the classical Tanzanian northern safari circuit, visiting Lake Manyara, Tarangire, Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti, amongst other destinations.

We have been away for 11 weeks now, how the time has flown. We are both in fine fettle and are not flagging in any way. All this travelling keeps you very busy, there is so much to see and do. Luckily there is no rush and we have had time to appreciate everything. I must say that we have really been off the beaten track. At times it has been many days that we do not lay eyes on another paleface or at times, even see other people.

For those following the blog, I hope you are enjoying it and for those contemplating any sort of similar trip I hope it is of help and perhaps even an inspiration to some degree. To those sending greetings and comments thanks so much, I have not always had time to reply to each one.

Cheers till I can post again.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Fantastic trip so far Stan, really jealous now that I am sitting in the office.
    Slow donkey seems to do its job well, you've done a long stretch already and no mishaps.

Enjoy the time in the bush without the power outages and load shedding, all the best for the migration paths.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

I agree Walter. Wow! Selous, Ruaha, parks I have only dreamed about.

And new places like the waterfall route they did in Zambia and Katavi. Wow again!

From what I read, Slowdonkey did have some sore legs but nothing that could not be fixed, luckily.

Go well Stan and Anne, enjoy! I am a regular reader of your blog.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2015/06/30 at 03:47 PM.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I am a regular reader of your blog.
    Yip, me too. Keep us updated, and safe travels you two!!
    2013 Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4
    2015 Isuzu KB300

Johann

-----------------------------------------------------

Never test the depth of the water with both feet - W.E.Tnuts

Thanks to those following the blog and for posting here. It helps to make us feel less cut off from the rest of the world. Decent internet connections have been few and far between, please be tolerant as regards the long gaps between updates. This should begin to improve now that we are on the Northern Tanzanian Safari Circuit.

Lots has been happening and we had a wonderful visit to the chimps at Gombe Streams. At Jacobsens Camp here we spent a wonderful few days with quite a few active forum members. First there was Eric from France, then the South Africans posting under Bennie Bester and also John from Hout Bay posting as jhc.

Unfortunately Slow Donkey broke a back leg in Kigoma on Lake Tanganyika but after a few days work all seems fine. We are well and at present are at Lake Manyara after some time at Tarangire NP. Next will be the undoubted highlights of Ngorongoro and Serengeti. We are enjoying ourselves immensely and feel very privileged to be able to be doing this under our own steam and with total independence.

As the newspaper vendors shout, "read all about it" on our blog.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Jealous much.

Drive well, stay safe.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)

Quote: "Unfortunately Slow Donkey broke a back leg in Kigoma on Lake Tanganyika but after a few days work all seems fine."
    Stan, your experience at Kigoma with the broken axel must have been life changing and somewhat terrifying at the same time. We are just so happy that you and Ann are both OK and still in good spirits. Having had these kind of breakdowns ourselves in the past we fully understand that feeling of helplessness. You folk are REALLY strong. RESPECT!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

What a trip so far!! You are the luckiest and must be the happiest two on earth!! Enjoy!!
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. Hella Spotlights, ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

Can see you are having a great trip!
    Paul

For those interested I have posted some more content on my blog. Thanks for the comments from those above. Yes indeed we are having a trip and personal experiences of a lifetime.

At present just outside Arusha, but there is unseasonal cold, rain and mist so we have not yet visited Arusha National Park and Mt Meru.

Meru is the first of the gigantic freestanding East African mountains we have encountered and it is really something to see.

Tomorrow is the critical day where I get my vehicle repairs checked out. Bumped into Rory Larkin and Piet Venter at Toyota, all is fine with them. They had just emerged from Serengeti and gave me further excellent pointers.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast