SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 14

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thanks for the greetings Rik, Tony and M.

Di's lekker by die see. I have posted another short update.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

Hi Stan
    Seasons greetings.
    Saw the beautiful pics you posted today.
    Talk about tropical paradise.
    So, almost back home now, I guess quite mixed feelings at this point.
    Enjoy the rest of it and have a wonderful new year.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Happy New Year

Wishing you season's greetings! Safe travel and a wonderful year ahead!

Seasons greetings to you and Ann. Safe travels. Still enjoying reading the posts on your website.
    Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

Thank you for all the greetings, most kind.

We are heading for Zanzibar later today for 6 days, should be a highlight. Will keep posting.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

We are having a very relaxing time in Zanzibar. I feel a little like a fraud. Here we were on a trans-African self-drive trip and here I am now posting from Zanzibar after flying in and staying in hotels.

It is just not realistic taking a vehicle across on the ferry and then being able to drive yourself around the island. For probably the first time we feel like your average tourist.

I have posted a report on our stay in Stone Town which was fascinating. At present we are having a real beach holiday at Nungwi up on the north of Zanzibar, just a little down the west coast. Our plans have worked out very well. I will update later.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Stan - Seafood looks good!
    I hear it is a great spot to visit.
    Paul

I have posted on our last 3 days on Zanzibar. This time we have spent our time at Nungwi, up in the north.

In the next couple of days we begin the long journey home. What a really memorable time we have had! Hopefully the tail end of our trip, mainly the task of driving home from Tanzania, will go as well as most of the trip has gone. Unfortunately from now onwards we will become travelers rather than explorers .
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan, the island and sand bank you visited by dhow: Kwali perhaps? I saw a similar big upturned and still growing baobab on Kwali.

Hi Stan,
    Happy new year to you and Anne.

Great to read about Zanzibar (we were there for 7 days in Nov 2015) and see your photo's from Africa House. For interest sake, Zanzibar is where Freddie Mercury of Queen (not his real name) was born. One can visit the home where he grew up before his Mom moved to London. There is also a restaurant named after him in Stonetown.

Also great reading about Peponi where we too spent 7 days on our Tanzania road trip in 2013, looks like nothing has changed. Great spot! Did you visit the restaurant next door (for variety, cakes and coffee)? they have a Pizza oven and one can order fresh sea food from their local supplier, who will deliver to your campsite. We ordered crayfish for a special braai- reasonably priced- that we had on the beach with a couple from RSA who were doing the Africa trip to London on a moped. Thanx for bringing back those great memories.
    Last edited by TRON; 2016/01/08 at 03:22 PM.

Just to let our followers and friends know we arrived home safely (but probably not sound of mind) at about 13H00 today. We have covered 4,800km in the last 8 days. I have always been like this, once I get the wind in my sails homeward bound, it is helter skelter. I wish I could be like others and make the final homeward stretch part of the holiday!

This expedition has been a most wonderful experience. We have been so busy that it has not really sunk in completely yet. Over the next while I will post the experiences since leaving Peponi Beach in Tanzania, but quite frankly other than a couple of new campsites it was largely a repeat of our northbound leg over this part of Africa.

Thanks to those that have commented and also the silent majority that have followed our travels.

Merwe, yes it was Kwale Island.

Tron, we did briefly visit next door at Peponi, Capricorn Cottages if I recall correctly, but did not eat there. They have a nice setup but no camping. The local Zanzibarians are a little cynical about Freddie Mercury. He never revisited the island of his birth, after his civil servant parents left. I think the family moved on to India.

Good to be home after a stimulating and somewhat hectic 9 months. We covered over 40,000km in all.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Welcome back Stan! So glad you are safely back. Now you need a good holiday.
    We missed your regular wisdom on the forum.

40 000km - that is quite a trip Stan!

Well done and welcome back!
    Paul

Stan, welcome back to both you and your wife, it is wonderful that you returned safely. I am certain that you have many great memories of your trip.

BMW X3 2.0D

Congratulation to both of you for bringing this wonderful and courageous trip to the successful end. And thank you so much for detailed reporting in your blog - what a well of invaluable information for anyone planning selfdriving trips in the areas you have covered!
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?

Well done Stan and Anne, I thoroughly enjoyed following your blog, thanks for taking the time to keep it updated.
    4x4 less.

A warm welcome home Stan and Anne,

No doubt you are enjoying being reunited with your loved ones ... not to mention having round the clock access to a washing machine, hot showers and the rest!

Being on the road, for all its joys, does make you appreciate the luxury of having your own four walls and a door you can shut!

Congratulations on completing a fabulous trip (I suspect it won't be your last).

Lisa

Hi Anne and Stan,

Glad to hear you are safely back home, enjoy it.

Hope to see you soon on the roads again.

Cheers.

Eric

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome homes.

Lisa, your advice and encouragement was priceless, when are you doing your next trip?

Eric, it was indeed fantastic to meet up with you not once but twice. Those of you who don't know, Eric is a single Frenchman, always a dangerous specimen in the bush. I hope you have greater success in your choice of ladies in distress with your upcoming trip, or was it a happier situation than apparent?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Welcome home Stan and Anne! And well done on completing this epic journey

I cannot believe it has come to an end.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast