SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 13

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Greetings from Lalibella, Ethiopia.

I have managed to post reports and photos on our expedition into the Danakil Depression in northeastern Ethiopia. This is one of the hottest and lowest places on earth (106m below sea level).

I have also attempted to describe in words and pics our viewing of the adjacent molten lava lake of the active Erta Ale volcano, one of the most unique experiences on the planet.

We are well and looking forward to December on the Kenyan coast as we begin to make our way home.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Greetings from Lalibella, Ethiopia. .
    What can I say - Lalibela is one of the most amazing places I have visited. Enjoy and absorb.

Incredible Stan!

Amazing pics!

Had to chuckle about the comfortable camels!

That lurching gait brought back memories of only a short ride I once did.
    Must have been extremely difficult for Anne.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2015/12/02 at 08:16 AM.
    Paul

The Capies respond!

Did the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela today and enjoying it here.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Thumbs up

Stan,

thanks for taking us with you on your intrepid (though painful) ride to such a remote place in Ethiopia.

The fotos are breathtaking, beautiful, magical - as if from another planet.

Keep sending updates, I am really looking forward !

with kind regards,
    Anne

Hi Stan & Anne,
    You are experiencing more in one day than us mere mortals experience in a lifetime. Your adventure to the Danakil Depression and to see the active lava lake must top many of your other experiences on this epic journey.
    Thinking of you & Anne with Christmas just around the corner.
    Terry & Margaret
    2004 Disco II XS TD5 A/T

Hi Stan and Anne

Where are you? We hear there has been heavy rain in northern Kenya and wonder how you got on from Moyale to Isiolo. Hope the stomach problems have been resolved. Mud, raging luggas and diarrhoea not a good combo!

Hoping the safari is njema!

Hi Stan and Anne,

Still reading about your experiences and enjoying the photographs. Amazing!!

Keep it going for us to enjoy from far away.

Safe travels.

Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus 2015 4X4. Hella Spotlights, ARB Bull Bar, LAS Econoline Rear Bumper, Customised Rims, Stofpad Rocksliders, Auxiliary Battery Factory Fitted, Fridge Slider, Drawer System with Wolf Pack, Pro Fender Shocks with Extender Shackles and Spacers, Bash Plate, Escape Gear Seat Covers, Hytera two-way Radio, Associer Wiring Harness. Memories- Ford Ranger 3.0 2007 and 2011, Ford Ranger 1.8 LWB, Mazda Drifter 2002.

Finally back in Kenya in Nairobi at the very convenient Jungle Junction. With the fast internet have managed to post the blogs up to date.

We are very pleased to be back in East Africa, Kenya in particular. The game conservation areas, the way things work and the mostly lovely people here are what ticks the blocks for us. I have been quite harsh about our Ethiopian experiences but what is the point of blogging if the true opinions are suppressed out of a sense of politeness.

We report here too on the Samburu National Reserve and Meru National Park where we were able to enjoy new and unique animal species like the gerenuk, reticulated giraffe and Besia oryx. It really has been most refreshing to be back amongst the wild animals, the main thrust of the whole trip.

Thanks for the posts from friends and followers.

W.W., thanks for your concerns. We have been so lucky with the rains. For instance there had been heavy rains in Meru, but these had stopped for a week before we arrived. Some heavy rain overnight in Nairobi but nothing unusual I think.

At present we are exploring the possibilities for the Kenyan coast and perhaps even a fly-in into Lamu Island.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Stan - Glad you are back in civilisation so to speak after the Ethiopia experience -
    Kenya sounds wonderful!
    Paul

Good news that all is currently going well Stan, keep on posting, look after yourself and travel safely...

BMW X3 2.0D

I am definitely anticipating a book here. Stan / Ann ?
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Stan and Anne

I have been reading with interest your trip report especially your account of Ethiopia. This brings back so many good and bad memories of our time in that country 10 years ago. We had the joys of Addis for 3 weeks waiting (in vain) to get our Sudanese visa. At least the visa situation has changed. As you say it is a challenging country with no privacy and you always need to be vigilant watching for potential stone throwing. I am also glad that the road from Marsabit to Moyale is now tar as that really was one of the worse roads in Africa that we encountered as we travelled from Namibia back to UK. We had two punctures in two days along that stretch which at the time was renowned for bandits!.

I really wish that we had made it to the Danakil Depression but having wasted so much time in the capital this was not an option for us. Possibly some day we will manage to do a trip there as your photos are fantastic.

Enjoy Kenya and your trip back south.

For anyone thinking of doing a similar trip I would say just do it as travelling for an extended time is so rewarding if not a bit tiring at times.

Agree AfricaExplorer, rewarding to the extreme, but anyone planning for such a trip certainly needs to prepare themselves for setbacks and the occasional disappointment. That is the nature of the beast of overland travel. However it is amazing how every time we had any trouble there were friendly people willing and able to help. The local people, with a few rare exceptions, are fantastically welcoming.

Nearing the end of our travels and thinking back, it is actually a revelation to experience how well things have gone and the whole effort, with good planning, was far easier than we feared. The camaraderie and help from other travelers present and past has been heart warming. "You'll never walk alone".

If you are planning or considering any such travels, just do it!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

I have posted reports of our visit to Amboseli, Tsavo West and East a little while ago.

We at present at Kilifi on the coast in Kenya, north of Mombasa, near Malindi. It is going to be great to spend the festive season along this wonderful stretch of tropical coast.

Just in case I am not able to get online again for a while, wishing you all a wonderful festive season, have a wonderful time!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Wishing you both a safe return in 2016.

[QUOTE
    Just in case I am not able to get online again for a while, wishing you all a wonderful festive season, have a wonderful time![/QUOTE]
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I have posted reports of our visit to Amboseli, Tsavo West and East a little while ago.
    We at present at Kilifi on the coast in Kenya, north of Mombasa, near Malindi. It is going to be great to spend the festive season along this wonderful stretch of tropical coast.
    Just in case I am not able to get online again for a while, wishing you all a wonderful festive season, have a wonderful time!
    Stan and Anne, hope you have a great Christmas and New Year - I can't think of a better place to spend it than Kilifi Creek. Enjoy!

Hello Stan and Anne,

Thanks for all your wonderful stories!

Enjoy this festive season and safe travels back home

Rij

We are now on the coast, where most South Africans like to be found over the festive season. At present in Peponi Lodge Campsite near Pangani, Tanzania.

I hope you all enjoyed Christmas and try not to indulge too much over New Year.

I have posted a few new updates to the blog. Having a most relaxed time at present but missing family and friends at this time of the year. Everything of the best for 2016 in case I cannot get connected before then.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Default Kwaheri Kenya

Hi Stan and Anne

Glad you found camping spots on the coast at both Kilifi and Tiwi, but they did sound a bit busy being the festive season. Hope the border crossing at Horo-Horo was OK and T4A didn't take you on a merry dance on the road to Tanga and Pangani.

We had to laugh about trying to avoid the Likoni Ferry off Mombasa island and then ending up with the trucks on the main road, but the route through Kwale sounds picturesque. Interesting to know that there is still camping at Twiga Lodge, Tiwi.

Greetings from a cool and still slightly rainy Karen.

Safari njema na salaama ya mwaka mpiya!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast