SLOWDONKEY THROUGH AFRICA: Trans-Africa Trip: Anne and Stan Weakley. - Page 10

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

We are still in Nairobi fishing for our Ethiopian and Sudan visas, this is no simple matter as our blog details. We are enjoying life in Nairobi at Jungle Junction.

This weekend was spent at the popular Carnelley's Camp at Lake Naivasha and we also visited the Hells Gate National Park. Hopefully the new week will bring considerable progress.

We watched the Boks thump Samoa and enjoyed seeing Wales turn the knife. Proud of my ZA sticker again!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com

Enjoy!

En ja die springbokke het mooi gespeel Saterdag!
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Elize, as jy en Sarel ooit die geleentheid kry om Oos Africa te besoek, gryp dit met albei hande. Serengeti en die Masai Mara is ongelooflik, veral die wildebeeste op die regte tyd van die jaar.

Vir die res van Oos Afrika, hoef ons naburige en plaaslike wilde areas glad nie terug te staan nie. Maar die Serengeti ekosisteem is regtig iets besonders. Maar dit bly interessant om al die nuwe plekke te kuier.

Baie dankie vir jou gereelde bydrae.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Plesier Stan.

Sjoe eendag as ons groot is! Geniet dit
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Stan, I hope the bureaucratic red tape is over quickly and that you are on your way soon. Eagerly keeping an eye on SlowDonkey.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your experiences in Masai Mara. It sure is a must do.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2015/09/29 at 02:35 PM.
    2015 Prado 150 VX 4L V6
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Thanks, another must-do when in Nairobi is to visit the Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Project in Nairobi which we did this morning. This will leave an emotional impact on all lovers of wild animals and conservation minded folk. The beauty of this project is the high success rate of reintroducing these young elephant orphans to the wild over the ensuing years.

Tomorrow we fetch our Sudan visas and then courier our passports back home for the Ethiopian one. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks we will be braving the wilds of northern Kenya, Lake Turkana and South Omo in Ethiopia. This part of the trip is billed as challenging and cannot come soon enough.

I have updated the blog and am able to follow the doings on the forum again as Jungle Junction has excellent internet.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2015/09/29 at 09:38 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan, going to keep drumming the Nile Perch drum - Turkana, the winds are really fierce off Mount Kulal in mid to late afternoon (as in gale force). If you spend any time on the east bank around Loyangalani, take up a stash of condoms, inflate them to small balloon size, then float some live bait or fish fillet out and wait for the hit. The fishing up there is fabulous, but seriously hard core because of the wind and desert conditions. At Loyangalani, don't miss walking around the El Molo village, they are geared for tourism, and reputed to be the smallest tribe in the world (as in numbers, not physical size).
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/09/29 at 10:28 PM.

Name:  Turkana.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  32.5 KB

Very low res pic of our Landy near Turkana
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2015/09/29 at 10:30 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Hi Tony, good to hear from you!

At present blessed with fast internet at Jungle Junction in Nairobi.

I have been given a great fishing spot on Lake Turkana by an old Kenyan hand. Thanks for the tip on getting the bait out, will be easier for me to get hold of balloons than the unmentionables you refer to! I am very keen to post a decent Nile Perch pic on slowdonkey.

On Reunion, I have only seen it from the sea, a massive mountain rising out of nowhere, lucky you. I am sure I have seen a bird guide for this island somewhere, I think combined with some of the other islands in that area.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Your website is saying you have exceeded the bandwidth...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Thanks, another must-do when in Nairobi is to visit the Sheldrick Elephant Orphan Project in Nairobi which we did this morning. This will leave an emotional impact on all lovers of wild animals and conservation minded folk. The beauty of this project is the high success rate of reintroducing these young elephant orphans to the wild over the ensuing years.
    To find out more about the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, and to give a plug for this very worthwhile charity, click on this link to their website. Fostering an orphan elephant is a lovely thing to do and the money goes towards not only the upkeep and rehabilitation back into the wild of the orphans, but outreach programmes, veterinary, anti-poaching and education.

https://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

Apologies for the website outage. Apparently it is a server problem, I have no bandwidth limit. Should be sorted soon.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

I have been given a great fishing spot on Lake Turkana by an old Kenyan hand.
    I'm sure this is a completely superfluous warning, but besides keeping an eye open for crocs (they grow huge in Turkana), also be wary of carpet vipers and scorpions.

Thanks Tony, will haul out my ultraviolet torch, unused since the Kalahari 6 months ago. Anne has not experienced a carpet viper for some years now, but thanks for the heads up.

Have our Sudan visa now and have DHLed our passports and supporting documents to a Pretoria visa handling firm. With a bit of luck passports should be back in our hands with the visa in about a week.

With Anne's birthday coming up we are going for dinner at the Talisman restaurant down the road. Highly recommended by Wazungu.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Default Emergency Snake Bite contact details and the Flying Doctor

Not that it is likely, but just in case, here is the emergency number of the Bio-Ken Snake Farm at Watamu in Kenya - http://bio-ken.com/index.php/snake-bite

Emergency Snakebite Phone: +254 718 290324

And take AMREF (the Flying Doctors) - http://www.flydoc.org/ phone/contact numbers as below

Contact: 24hr Emergency Control Centre at Wilson Airport, Nairobi

+254 20 6992299 / 6992000 / 3315454 / 3315455 / 6002492

+ 254 (0) 733 639 088 / 736 035 9362 / 722 314 239

: +254 20 3344170 / 6000665

Radio Frequencies: HF: 9116kHz LSB / 5796 kHz LSB

Call Sign: Foundation Control

emergency@flydoc.org

With Anne's birthday coming up we are going for dinner at the Talisman restaurant down the road. Highly recommended by Wazungu.
    Happy birthday Anne! After having celebrated my whatever birthday with you guys at Kaingu in Zambia, this year I will be doing my 59th with a bunch of strangers on Reunion Island.

Thanks Tony, have passed the wishes on to Anne.

We have spent 4 days in the Kenyan Highlands, 2 days in the Aberdares and then 2 near Mt. Kenya. I have updated the slowdonkey blog but we yet again had a great time. Kenya has such wonderful diversity.

Still waiting to sort out the Ethiopian visa. Thus far not impressed with the Visa fixers in Pretoria.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Default "Commercial" vehicles in Kenya

For information for other South African self-drivers in Kenya (and probably Tanzania and Uganda too), what we call pick-ups - and you Saffers call bakkies - are classified as commercial vehicles. As Stan says in his blog, there are different regulations for commercial vehicles (and pick-ups). The speed is limited to 80 kph, must have a 80 kph sticker on the back, and various other regulations no doubt. This applies to all double cab pick-ups - with or without hardtops. You might think your vehicle is a private vehicle, but Kenyan regulations state that anything looking like a double cab pick-up is a commercial vehicle. This might be the reason that many Saffers get stopped for speeding in East Africa, so just keep to 80 kph on the open road. Also, if you note, all tour operators' vehicles are restricted to 80 kph and they are mostly Land Cruisers or such like.

Black Land Rovers seem to just get salutes from the police!

Glad you had a good time in the Aberdares and Mt Kenya. Shame you didn't see the magnificent peaks of Mt Kenya or experience one of highland Kenya's sparkling early mornings.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2015/10/05 at 05:57 PM.

Hi Stan, also stayed at JJ, i got a visa within three (3) hours at the Ethiopia embassy close the presidents "home" Stan we also booked out of Kenia in Nairobi and told them we need 15 days via Lake turkana. There is no border post (2013)
    Blessing and enjoy your trip.

Yes one has to be extra careful with purchasing Third Party insurance in East Africa. Our problems should now be over as we have finally managed to buy a Comesa (Yellow Card) insurance for the rest of our trip, including the homeward, southbound leg. They also wanted to classify our vehicle as commercial, but I noticed just in time.

Our Land Cruiser 76 series is a station wagon so should not automatically be classified commercial. The implications of being classified as a commercial vehicle are considerable. There are driver competency certificates, vehicle inspection certificates and the speed limits mentioned. If deemed a passenger carrying commercial vehicle there are even more regulations to comply with (as in the case in South Africa).

If in a bakkie I would try very hard to be classified as a private and non-commercial vehicle.

Afrifaan, Ethiopian visas by road from south to north no longer can be obtained in Nairobi, in fact nowhere but at the Ethiopian embassy of your country of origin. You do not have to be present in person as for instance for an American visa, but for us the visa application has to be processed in Pretoria. This applies to every nationality applying, as far as I know.

This does not apply when flying in where the visa is processed at Addis airport. Also when travelling from north to south, the visa can be obtained in Khartoum. There are apparently security threats from the south.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast