Gearbox problems on new Hilux

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gearbox problems on new Hilux

Anybody else out there that has had gearbox problems on the new Hilux? My 3.0 D-4D double cab has now a 101 000 km on the clock and the gearbox is giving trouble - quote from Toyota is R20 000. Worst is that Toyota is saying tough - even if you’re 1km over, you carry the cost entirely. Add to this the problems I've had on the prop shaft, the engine losing power every now and again as well as the stability problems and I’m starting to think that the legendary Toyota reliability is taking a nosedive. Seems that if you are happy with your new Hilux you just haven’t had it long enough.

My dad owns an old 2.8 diesel with 700 000 km on the clock and he hasn't done anything to it except service it regularly. Anybody has one of those for sale?[/font]

What's wrong with your Gearbox ?

What kind of problems did you have with the Propshaft ?

When/How does it lose power ? What year is your car ?

What stability problems, mine is very stable, I know exactly when it is about to do a powerslide.

Not to technical but here goes:

The gearbox started "singing" out of nowhere. They apparently need to replace the 5th gear as well as bunch of bearings (never towed anything with the vehicle)

The universal joint packed-up at 60 000km. Not a big problem but I had a 200km "bumpy" ride back home.

Granted, a universal joint is not a a major issue but I'm starting to see a trend here - was the mechanics in between the engine and the wheels designed to withstand the power of the engine?

The engine losing power is a funny one - perhaps somebody can help as Toyota could not find the problem. Every now-and-again the engine light comes on. I then can't get the bakkie past 60Km/h, revs only go up to 2000. Toyota ran diagnostic tests but could not find anything wrong.

The stability issue is well discussed. My 10 cent's worth: ever tried doing 120 on a gravel road? (I've never had the guts to go past 80).

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great bakkie and one must expect that the higher something is, the easier it falls over but looking at my experience over the past two and a half years I must say I’m not as ecstatic about the Raider as the day I bought it.
    Last edited by RSS; 2008/07/03 at 01:51 PM.

Mmmm, Second Toyota I hear about where the 5th gear needs to be changed (Granted the other one had more than double your K's on).

I don't know about the too much power thing. The gearbox we have in our bakkies (R151f) is the same one being used in the cruisers since way back when till this day. But then again we have more power at lower revs than the cruisers.

Just remember, a new universal joint with 1km on it, can be damaged and fail when you bump it on a rock when you drive off-road. I'm not talking about gunning it, even just slow driving will do damage.

Sounds like your Engine is going into limp mode.

With regards to the engine acting up (or down) every so often.
    I had a similar experience on my Isuzu 300.

Turned out to be the mass airflow sensor. As soon as it acted up, the vehicle went into "limp mode".
    Since replacement (+/- R1000), it is running like hell again.
    A friend has a D4D Fortuner which showed similar issues on the gear box. Luckily, Toyota replaced under warranty.
    The only other diesel that exibited the same gearbox (busted 5th gear) was on the 2.5 TD Ford/ Mazdas. Had one of those...........
    Jacques
    Never trust a Chinchilla to hold your balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Not to technical but here goes:

The gearbox started "singing" out of nowhere. They apparently need to replace the 5th gear as well as bunch of bearings (never towed anything with the vehicle)

The universal joint packed-up at 60 000km. Not a big problem but I had a 200km "bumpy" ride back home.

The engine losing power is a funny one - perhaps somebody can help as Toyota could not find the problem. Every now-and-again the engine light comes on. I then can't get the bakkie past 60Km/h, revs only go up to 2000.

My 10 cent's worth: ever tried doing 120 on a gravel road? (I've never had the guts to go past 80).
    RSS I am also new to the D4D had a old 1987 2.2 Petrol Hilux D/C 4x4 that did just over 400000km with no problems except 5th gear went on about 280000km due to towing in 5th gear and riding in 5th gear at to low revs other wise that bakkie was a "Kanie dood".

Coming back to your questions the 5th gear problem can be due to the "The universal joint packed-up at 60 000km" and you driving it for 200km like that the vibrations could have cased damage to you gear box secondly like the old Hilux driving in 5th gear at low speeds and low revs can also be the cause of it. My father had a 1st gear problem on his KZTE just over 100000km and he fought Toyota until they fixed the box for him under guarantee. So don't stand back go to the top if you have to.

The no power thing I can't explain but my wife Opel Corsa car did the same thing and the dealers could not get the problem. Eventually at the dealers in Sucunda they solved it, it was a full rely that packed up, some times causing the engine light to come on and power was lost. The light coming on in my expires tells me electrical problem.

The losenes on a gravel road. I have the same problem but Toyota is chancing my tiers to A/T and replacing my back shocks this is a known problem on the new Hiluxes search the problem on the forum this has be discussed in detail. After the tyer and shock replacment the bakkie is much more stable.

Hope this helps.
    To see what my previous Hilux did click link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_cUKPjRAU

Now to see what the Fortuner can do

Quote Originally Posted by Andre N View Post
    I don't know about the too much power thing. The gearbox we have in our bakkies (R151f) is the same one being used in the cruisers since way back when till this day. But then again we have more power at lower revs than the cruisers.
    The only local spec Cruisers that got the R151F were ones with the 1HZ (4.2 diesel NA) motor. That motor generates 280 Nm @ 2200 rpm (and 96 kW @ 4000 rpm). Manual Cruisers (not necessarily SA market only) with the 1HD-T, 1HD-FT or 1HD-FTE (4.2 turbo diesel) motors got the H151F transmission (same one as used with 4.5 petrol). The 4.2 turbodiesel performance specs are:
    1HD-T: 360 Nm @ 2000 rpm / 123 kW @ 3600 rpm
    1HD-FT: 380 Nm @ 2000 rpm / 125 kW @ 3600 rpm
    1HD-FTE: 431 Nm @ 2500 rpm / 152 kW @ 3400 rpm

The 1KD-FTV (3.0 D4-D) motor specs are 344 Nm @ 1400-3200 rpm / 120 kW @ 3400 rpm, not all that different to the 1HD-T.

In other Toyota products, the R151F was also paired with the following motors:
    2L-T (188 Nm @ 2400 rpm / 63 kW @ 4000 rpm)
    1PZ (238 Nm @ 2600 rpm / 85 kW @ 4000 rpm)
    1KZ-T (295 Nm @ 2400 rpm / 92 kW @ 3600 rpm)
    None of these are anywhere near the D4-D in terms of performance.

The R151F is a good, reliable gearbox that has been around for donkey's years, but has always been paired with much less powerful/torquey motors than the D4-D until now. Perhaps Toy has indeed pushed the envelope with this box in the Hilux with the D4-D motors?
    Last edited by Gerrit Loubser; 2008/07/03 at 03:14 PM.
    Gerrit Loubser
    Richards Bay

now the question is: What is the differences bet the R151F and the H151F?
    Overkill - isn't!

Although the names of the two boxes are similar, they are not really related. The H151F is a much heavier duty box, related more closely to the older Cruiser boxes, while the R151F was developed for ligther duty applications and is smaller.
    Last edited by Gerrit Loubser; 2008/08/23 at 08:02 AM.
    Gerrit Loubser
    Richards Bay

I find this quite interesting. I do LOTS of heavy towing and I will keep an eye open on that 5th gear. Remember putting foot on a uphill in 5th wil also place additional wear on the 5th gear. Its not acceptable though!

Have the turbo checked for overboosting aswell as MAF sensor cleaned and checked. The check engine light will come on should the turbo start to overboost a little btw.

Keep us posted
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Default Gearbox

My 2006, 2.7 petrol het nou al sy 2de ratkas in,wel al 150000km gedoen maar dit is mos n HILUX Die 5de rat het ook erg begin sing en sleep ek bitter min!!!Dit maak my baie bekommerd,want ek het ook Diesel Fortuner!Gaan hom so gou moontlik inruil op n outo

Read my post below. Toyota do NOT change gearbox oil or differential oils! Its inspected at 40k, inspected at 80k and then you warrenty is up. What they do from then on is anyones guess. I doubt the service schedule says change at 120k(which is way too late anyway) Im sure this has something to do with the gearboxes not lasting..

http://www.4x4community.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19877
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Jeepman Guest

Hi you asked about speed on gravel, I have travelled many thousands of km on gravel and I still do Karoo about twice a month, I get up to 160km in full time on starights(must know the road) must be able to tap on power if a slide or back slips as the 4x4 pulls it back on line!! Using mud tyres, Coopers STT, the other vehicle 4x4 Terrios (Owned and built by Toyota, goes very well on gravel, tyres at about 1,6bar, starights anything past 140km starts to get hairy, corners ok!!

Leon........Jeepman
    Last edited by Jeepman; 2008/07/03 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo mistake

Default Gears

Mine going in for gears replacement on Thursday 84 000km. Changed a universal on 80 000km. Hope this is the end.

Default Great customer care though

Thanks for the all the advice! I contacted Toyota's customer care line ready for a big fight but amazingly none required. I must REALLY praise Toyota on their customer care. I spoke to one of their service managers (just one level up from the operator who initially answered the phone) and he promised to try his best in getting Toyota to help with the problem. Got a call from them this morning - Toyota is willing to carry the entire cost for fixing the problem. Great stuff Toyota!!

I'm also convinced the problem stems from driving in fifth gear at low revs. Looking at the power and torque curve of the D-4D theres a lot of power available even if you are driving at relatively low speeds in fifth. I rarely put it back to 4th if I'm doing a 100km/h and need to overtake. I always said that the bakkie almost drives like an automatic. It doesn’t matter what gear you’re in, just put your foot down and the Raider will jump.

Does anybody know what the power and torque curves look like for the other vehicles in which the gearbox is used? Perhaps the gearbox is designed to meet peak power and torque of the D-4D, but was it designed to carry the high power and torque at low revs/high gears??
    Last edited by RSS; 2008/07/08 at 11:29 AM.

Wink

One of my delivery Hiluxes, 97 2.4D with 557000km, 5th gear also started whining about 20000 ago, luckily the aerodynamics is so bad on the old Hiluxes that you have to close al the windows to start hearing it.

So I think it is because Toyota improved their aerodynamics that owners are now hearing al the whines, rattles and creaks that are synoumys with any older Hilux. Its now wonder Land Rover don't want to change the 110's shape
    Sometimes you gotta break it to make it

I've got my new 3.0 D-4D for about six weeks. The first remark from the Technical Manager at delivery was not to use 5th gear below 100km/h. So it seems that it is a power related problem.

slim Guest

I have recently had the same issue with my 4L Fortuner 4x4 , its now with toyota to repair or replace at under warranty for the next week , whiney 3 and 5th gears!

Default In regards to the power issue

I had the same power problems with my Vito and after lots of searching i found that the turbo hose from the turbo to the inlet manifoldt had a small cut off about 15mm and as it presurised the air escaped and caused the engine light to come on and the car not to exeed 2000rpm I replaced the hose and the problem was solved
    And on the gearbox I just sent my D4D back for the Gearbox also singing at 140 000 km

Must say, I have often been amazed to see how some people can engage 5th gear and then forget about it - especially on Isuzu 300's and high-powered Toys. The message is clear that this WILL kill the gearbox bearings - especially those on 5th gear. Imagine that little gear trying to climb out of its housing due to all of this torque being applied - all that is keeping it from doing so, is the bearing...
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast