Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications - Page 22

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

Dave what made you change them? Are you doing front also?

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Dave what made you change them? Are you doing front also?
    for the handbrake actually more than anything...the discs themselves were still within specs, but probably needed a skim ...I thought rather renew than skim .

The front are fine for now...I've got other things to spend money on

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

Default Re: Dobinson's suspension Installation

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    So, as per my previous post, I ordered in a full Dobinson's suspension kit for my 3.2v6 GV from Dobinson's Australia www.dobinsonsprings.com. I have researched it a bit and my choice was between Dobinsons, Iron Man and EFS. Iron Man and EFS both have local representation, but neither allow for home installation otherwise warranty is void, and they were both more expensive than Dobinson's .... and I only read good things about Dobinson's.
    A quick follow up after 6 months and 7000 kms with the Dobinson's suspension installed, which has included 1100kms inside the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, with it's normal assortment of terrible corrugations ranging from high frequency washboard to undulating bass rollers ... plenty of gravel travels, mountain passes, and a fair amount of off road driving thrown in.

All in all it has been a most pleasant experience - overall drivability has been vastly improved - especially with the rear end - tar road cornering is vastly improved, and it feels more like there is no lift and running on 18" tyres. So a bit firmer but not harder - the front end is less noticeable until you hit a bump and then you can feel the improvement in shock absorption.

Off road, corrugations felt to me less of a problem, but there are some you just never get to grips with - in the Kgalagadi I tried tyre pressures from 0.9 - 1.6, and they were still teeth chattering, but everybody that I spoke to in the park had the same problem, no matter what they drove .. they were reaaaalllly bad. Driving on them for protracted times I got the feeling that fade was less of a problem than with standard issue, and well, nothing fell off on this trip, although I did get a few more squeaks in the cabin .

Sand driving was a good as always, and we handled the Gharagab 4x4 exit trail with ease, in spite of serious damage to some of the dunes from previous people - I think far too many people are being allowed with AWD vehicles - there was a couple with a Mitsibushi ASX and another with a Nissan X-Trail at the camp, and they had extreme struggles getting out, and had to hit the dunes at scary speeds ....

Any negatives - well there were no instructions, so I did not know which side of the rear coils was up --- internet research led me in the wrong direction and I ended up double guessing myself, and fitting them upside down, which led to a knock inn the back because the coils were coming into contact with the body on the mounting platform - there IS on the top side a small cut out of the end of the coil, and when mounted correctly, this stops it from happening ... so that is now fixed...I also filed off the sharp protrusion on the top of the coil, which could eventually cut through the rubber coil seat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 005 20171229_115644.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	471733

I have had also had a bit of a worrying knock from the front, which coincidentally either started when I fitted the suspension, OR was exasperated by fitting the suspension, and has slowly been getting worse ....I have eventually tracked it down after suspecting almost everything else ...... to impacting between the upper coil seat and the strut support.

Now this should not happen unless your strut bearing is severely worn - and I did fit new strut bearings when I installed the suspension, so not sure why this is happening, possibly the change of angle induced by the new shock/coil combination?

This is what the bottom of the strut support looked like, pretty much the same on both sides of the car - worn on the one side....

Name:	Suzuki 021 20171230_130446.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	471734

And then the upper coil seat that it sits on :

Name:	Suzuki 020 20171230_130439.jpg 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	471736

Pretty gnarly, and the strut bearings do not look overly worn ... So I got some sandpaper, and sanded off a little of the bottom of the strut supports to make them even again,

Name:	Suzuki 011 20171230_115644.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	471739

Refitted bearings, and checked the clearance :

Name:	Suzuki 023 20171230_134045.jpg 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	471735

And while I had it off, filed off the sharp points on the ends of these springs too, which you can clearly see were making contact with the edge of the upper coil seat through the rubber ...

Name:	Suzuki 018 20171230_130154.jpg 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	471737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 019 20171230_130209.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	471738

Put it all back together again, and had a cold Bavaria ......

Test drives so far show the knocks to be gone completely, and seems the steering is a whole bunch better too now that the struts can rotate freely without metal on metal contact ...happy about that!

Was I mad to file the bearing holder down a bit? If I could have gotten hold of new strut bearings to compare I might not have done it - I don't think it is a biggie though, time will tell ... at least I have quiet suspension again, and if it start again, new strut bearings will be first on the list!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dobinson's suspension Installation

A quick follow up after 6 months and 7000 kms with the Dobinson's suspension installed, which has included 1100kms inside the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, with it's normal assortment of terrible corrugations ranging from high frequency washboard to undulating bass rollers ... plenty of gravel travels, mountain passes, and a fair amount of off road driving thrown in.

All in all it has been a most pleasant experience - overall drivability has been vastly improved - especially with the rear end - tar road cornering is vastly improved, and it feels more like there is no lift and running on 18" tyres. So a bit firmer but not harder - the front end is less noticeable until you hit a bump and then you can feel the improvement in shock absorption.

Off road, corrugations felt to me less of a problem, but there are some you just never get to grips with - in the Kgalagadi I tried tyre pressures from 0.9 - 1.6, and they were still teeth chattering, but everybody that I spoke to in the park had the same problem, no matter what they drove .. they were reaaaalllly bad. Driving on them for protracted times I got the feeling that fade was less of a problem than with standard issue, and well, nothing fell off on this trip, although I did get a few more squeaks in the cabin .

Sand driving was a good as always, and we handled the Gharagab 4x4 exit trail with ease, in spite of serious damage to some of the dunes from previous people - I think far too many people are being allowed with AWD vehicles - there was a couple with a Mitsibushi ASX and another with a Nissan X-Trail at the camp, and they had extreme struggles getting out, and had to hit the dunes at scary speeds ....

Any negatives - well there were no instructions, so I did not know which side of the rear coils was up --- internet research led me in the wrong direction and I ended up double guessing myself, and fitting them upside down, which led to a knock inn the back because the coils were coming into contact with the body on the mounting platform - there IS on the top side a small cut out of the end of the coil, and when mounted correctly, this stops it from happening ... so that is now fixed...I also filed off the sharp protrusion on the top of the coil, which could eventually cut through the rubber coil seat.

Name:	Suzuki 005 20171229_115644.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	471733

I have had also had a bit of a worrying knock from the front, which coincidentally either started when I fitted the suspension, OR was exasperated by fitting the suspension, and has slowly been getting worse ....I have eventually tracked it down after suspecting almost everything else ...... to impacting between the upper coil seat and the strut support.

Now this should not happen unless your strut bearing is severely worn - and I did fit new strut bearings when I installed the suspension, so not sure why this is happening, possibly the change of angle induced by the new shock/coil combination?

This is what the bottom of the strut support looked like, pretty much the same on both sides of the car - worn on the one side....

Name:	Suzuki 021 20171230_130446.jpg 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	471734

And then the upper coil seat that it sits on :

Name:	Suzuki 020 20171230_130439.jpg 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	471736

Pretty gnarly, and the strut bearings do not look overly worn ... So I got some sandpaper, and sanded off a little of the bottom of the strut supports to make them even again,

Name:	Suzuki 011 20171230_115644.jpg 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	471739

Refitted bearings, and checked the clearance :

Name:	Suzuki 023 20171230_134045.jpg 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	471735

And while I had it off, filed off the sharp points on the ends of these springs too, which you can clearly see were making contact with the edge of the upper coil seat through the rubber ...

Name:	Suzuki 018 20171230_130154.jpg 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	471737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 019 20171230_130209.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	471738

Put it all back together again, and had a cold Bavaria ......

Test drives so far show the knocks to be gone completely, and seems the steering is a whole bunch better too now that the struts can rotate freely without metal on metal contact ...happy about that!

Was I mad to file the bearing holder down a bit? If I could have gotten hold of new strut bearings to compare I might not have done it - I don't think it is a biggie though, time will tell ... at least I have quiet suspension again, and if it start again, new strut bearings will be first on the list!
    Wow nice review!!
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    So Fedex delivered my Bosch throttle body from the USA this evening.
    I checked the main and sub voltages against the workshop manual for the 3.2 and compared the open and closing voltages and both were bang on so I installed and everything seems to be 100% fixed.

You will not find anywhere online where they say this part actually fits the 3.2, I asked Bosch.de directly if their part was a replacement for the suzuki part number and they refused to answer me, passed me off to Bosch SA and they just said they do not import the part (already knew that from Midas).
    I also googled forums to see if anywhere said that this part was suitable for the 3.2 GV and nothing, anywhere.

So basically this is it, if you look at the part number for the GV, and then go look at the part number for the XL-7 3.6V6, the part numbers are exactly the same, most Suzuki dealers will not even give you a straight answer when you ask them if the parts
    are exactly the same (even though the part numbers are the same).
    I have only ONE company confirm the part is the same (gave me a tiny bit of comfort).
    Logically if the parts are the same, then surely a replacement for the XL-7 throttle body would work on the GV.
    PLENTY of options for the XL-7 in the USA so I ultimately bit the bullet and ordered;
    Bosch F00H600074 from Rockauto.com

I only took it for a drive for a couple of km's but it acted exactly as it should and did not give any issues.
    My throttle body was causing my vehicle to go into limp mode almost once a month, despite cleaning it.
    It tested OK, but obviously wasn't up to the job anymore. (My GV had almost 200k on the clock at the time)

I ordered a new one via www.importitall.co.za, took about 12 days to arrive (November 2017).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 x (US) Bosch Original Equipment F00H600074 Throttle Body R3,490.00
    Sub-Total: R3,490.00
    Major Centre Shipping (10-20 Working days): R59.00
    Total: R3,549.0
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daemoncoder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoncoder View Post
    My throttle body was causing my vehicle to go into limp mode almost once a month, despite cleaning it.
    It tested OK, but obviously wasn't up to the job anymore. (My GV had almost 200k on the clock at the time)

I ordered a new one via www.importitall.co.za, took about 12 days to arrive (November 2017).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please describe your limp mode symptoms - and hopefully all will be cured with your new TB

Must I worry?? My gv v6 is on 198500km
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

please describe your limp mode symptoms - and hopefully all will be cured with your new TB
    A warning tone is heard, the info panel turns orange and tells you that some systems are disabled (cant remember which). The Check-Engine-Light comes on and stays on.
    At the same time the engine will no longer respond to throttle inputs, the car slows down if you're travelling (happened once on the freeway! Colour me very unimpressed).
    I've also had it that limp mode was initiated just as I was pulling out of a parking, then it wont accelerate, you can just sort of crawl to the side of the road.

I have an el-cheapo OBD reader, which I use with Torque Pro on my phone - this will read out the fault code P2176 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Idle Position Not Learned.
    After reading the code, one can reset all fault codes and continue driving. The CEL goes off and stays off. This saved a lot of hassle as I imagine the only other way to get home is on a flat-bed.

In order to mitigate the problem I was cleaning the T/B approximately once a month (or about every 1600-2000km) - basically very carefully removing the thin black layer of oil residue from the PCV, which seems to accumulate near the butterfly valve edges on the housing. I can only speculate that the idle position is negatively affected somehow and a weak T/B motor cant cope anymore.
    The old T/B would sit and chatter after the engine had been turned off, instead of simply returning to detent position, so perhaps it was also dodgy on the position sensor side.
    However, the old T/B is technically still within spec as per the manual, as far as I can measure.

The new T/B works perfectly, there is no chattering anymore after shutdown, just the (normal) click as it returns to detent.

Regarding the mileage - this problem started occurring sporadically around 185k IIRC, and got progressively worse after 190k. I have read somewhere that 190k-200k is when the T/B can start failing.
    Last edited by Daemoncoder; 1 Week Ago at 12:09 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daemoncoder For This Useful Post:

A warning tone is heard, the info panel turns orange and tells you that some systems are disabled (cant remember which). The Check-Engine-Light comes on and stays on.
    At the same time the engine will no longer respond to throttle inputs, the car slows down if you're travelling (happened once on the freeway! Colour me very unimpressed).
    I've also had it that limp mode was initiated just as I was pulling out of a parking, then it wont accelerate, you can just sort of crawl to the side of the road.

I have an el-cheapo OBD reader, which I use with Torque Pro on my phone - this will read out the fault code P2176 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Idle Position Not Learned.
    After reading the code, one can reset all fault codes and continue driving. The CEL goes off and stays off. This saved a lot of hassle as I imagine the only other way to get home is on a flat-bed.

In order to mitigate the problem I was cleaning the T/B approximately once a month (or about every 1600-2000km) - basically very carefully removing the thin black layer of oil residue from the PCV, which seems to accumulate near the butterfly valve edges on the housing. I can only speculate that the idle position is negatively affected somehow and a weak T/B motor cant cope anymore.
    The old T/B would sit and chatter after the engine had been turned off, instead of simply returning to detent position, so perhaps it was also dodgy on the position sensor side.
    However, the old T/B is technically still within spec as per the manual, as far as I can measure.

The new T/B works perfectly, there is no chattering anymore after shutdown, just the (normal) click as it returns to detent.

Regarding the mileage - this problem started occurring sporadically around 185k IIRC, and got progressively worse after 190k. I have read somewhere that 190k-200k is when the T/B can start failing.

Originally Posted by daveysmith

I have noticed since I had my GV, that the throttle body has a fairly extended shutdown sequence after turning off - can anyone confirm/deny if theirs does the same? It is almost identical to the Throttle Body calibration sequence you get if you turn your key to Acc and leave it without starting.

https://youtu.be/NZ9xycJgZcw

Thank you for that - at least we know what to look for! My symptoms were very similar in the Kalahari - but no MIL light and no error codes ... but definitely limp and backfiring if I tried to put foot - especially while trying to overtake.....

Was your shut down something like mine - see above?

Originally Posted by daveysmith

I have noticed since I had my GV, that the throttle body has a fairly extended shutdown sequence after turning off - can anyone confirm/deny if theirs does the same? It is almost identical to the Throttle Body calibration sequence you get if you turn your key to Acc and leave it without starting.

https://youtu.be/NZ9xycJgZcw

Thank you for that - at least we know what to look for! My symptoms were very similar in the Kalahari - but no MIL light and no error codes ... but definitely limp and backfiring if I tried to put foot - especially while trying to overtake.....

Was your shut down something like mine - see above?

To be honest, I haven't looked at the shutdown sequence since replacing the T/B, now I just hear one click after a short while - I'll have to check whether there is a second click like the video.

The old dodgy T/B was shutting down like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBRdwPUs6Zs
    (this is the same behavior as my T/B, but on a Chevy)

Ok so Im safe to hear 2 clicks like davey vid he shared...

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer244 View Post
    Ok so Im safe to hear 2 clicks like davey vid he shared...
    you're good until you get the error code
    it seems ...good excuse to get an OBD tool
    Last edited by daveysmith; 1 Week Ago at 02:14 PM.

you're good until you get the error code
    it seems
    Ok cool. I hope I do not get it soon....

@Daemoncoder,

Which cheapy OBD2 bluetooth adapter do you use?
    there seem to many of them out there.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22