Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications - Page 20




Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Results 381 to 396 of 396
  1. #381
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,925
    Thanked: 234

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Installed new steering gear ....

    a while back I had the steering rack out the GV and that was all tightened up - I knew the tie rods were worn ... but they pressed them with some machine which tightened them up ...you can see the marks on the ends.

    ..

    while I had no play, I felt this left the steering a bit vague..so undertook to replace the tie rods and ends at some point ...and this is it.

    I ordered from Suzuki

    2 x tie rods p/n S48830-65J00-000 R996.34 ea
    2 x tie rod ends p/n S48810-79J01-000 R536.06 ea

    I watched this Chrisfix video https://youtu.be/05XOhz67jGA

    and followed pretty much most of what he did except

    1) I found I could use a big spanner to remove the inner tie rod and did not need special tools
    2) because I could do this, I could leave the entire tie rod with end on - then I could measure the length and match it up with the new one.

    I did buy one of these ....


    but it was useless and stripped it's thread before I could get it tight enough to lose the tie rod.

    So - remove bash plate, chock back wheels, jack up front of car and support with axle stands.

    Remove split pin and castle nut on tie rod end and knock end out of knuckle...



    Mine was so loose it just flopped down.

    Remove fasteners on either side of the rod boot, spray a little wd40 under the shaft side and pull it towards you, exposing the ball joint. If you turn your steering wheel just the right amount you can fit a big spanner up between the subframe and sway bar and get good trip on the tie rod ball socket...



    Loosen and remove.

    I then measured the length of the entire unit, made the new set the same - rembering to put the boot and clamp on first... put loctite on the thread and put it back together.

    I used cable ties to secure the boots - they fit just fine in the slots. It is also important to lubricate the boot on the shaft side with rubber grease so it can rotate - otherwise it will eventually tear.

    Repeated for other side and managed to get the tie only 0.3 out so could drive to the alignment place easily and got them to align properly.

    Steering now feels fantastic - no more vagueness at all. I think I'm now finished with the front end for a while .
    I like the gloves, where did you get them?
    Sent from my iPhone


  2. #382
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    29
    Posts
    392
    Thanked: 71

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Installed new steering gear ....

    Steering now feels fantastic - no more vagueness at all. I think I'm now finished with the front end for a while .
    Well done! And thanks for the write-up!


  3. #383
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanked: 121

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Nicely done! Amazing what some new tie rod ends can do for the feeling.
    Indeed - feels really tight and controlled ...no more struggling to stay in lanes ....what's with your Jimny? You sorted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I like the gloves, where did you get them?
    My local hardware store - they unfortunately are not waterproof, but thin enough to work with and thick enough to provide some protection and the rubber gives great grip

    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    Well done! And thanks for the write-up!
    Dankie, was not as hard as I thought it would be...

    Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

  4. #384
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,720
    Thanked: 97

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Indeed - feels really tight and controlled ...no more struggling to stay in lanes ....what's with your Jimny? You sorted?
    Don't want to say yet, but I've done about 100km now with no death wobble, but the steering is very direct and gives a LOT of feedback from the road. I think I'm overly sensitive to the feedback now. But everything seems to be good. Will give it another few days and then fit the steering damper again and confirm whether I'm happy. Once I am, the mods can begin again
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

    True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%
    Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
    Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

    Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

  5. #385
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanked: 121

    Default Front Axle Seal Replacement

    I noticed that I had a fair bit of oil dripping down from my front diff and on investigation saw that it was leaking from the right side shaft as it goes into the front diff.

    I did a bit of research and it seemed it was possible to remove and replace the seal without having to dismantle the diff ... but there is a retainer on the RHS, and I was not sure if that would have to be removed. Everything that I read and watched pointed to me having to remove the shaft from the wheel stub and the control arm to be able to get it out of the diff - to cut along story short this was NOT necessary, and I wasted a lot of time trying to get the axle nut off...which was damn tight - for nothing!!!

    I did buy a power bar, ball joint separator and 70mm pry bar for the job - I only needed the pry bar.

    Suzuki Oil seal part number S09283-40029-000 R 165-00

    I did not take a lot of pictures as I was under time pressure - but it went like this.

    - Drain the front diff
    - Jack up the front end, support on axle stands and remove the front wheel.
    - remove the brake calliper and tie up securely out of the way

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 004 20170804_175329.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	457529
    - remove the ABS sensor cable from the strut, as well as the support on the body so it is completely loose
    - remove the stabilizer bar link from the strut and move it out of the way
    - remove the strut nuts from the axle and support the disk and knuckle

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 012 20170808_171423.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	551.7 KB 
ID:	457525

    70mm pry bar into action - the right angle piece fits very nicely between the inner CV joint and the diff, and you can pop the shaft out - it has a retaining circular clip inside that needs to be popped out of it's groove.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 002 20170804_175255.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	457530

    You can then move the sideshaft completely out of the diff by hand to expose the gungy mess. Be careful to clean the sidehaft splines nicely and cover them to prevent them picking up dust before the shaft goes back into the diff.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 006 20170804_175350.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	457527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170804_175405.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	457588

    I use a long handled clamp pliers to grasp the metal part of the old oil seal and manipulate it until it popped out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 008 20170804_180403.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	457526


    Cleaned out all the gunk in the hole in the diff,

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 001 20170804_175246.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	395.1 KB 
ID:	457531

    and then inserted the new sideshaft seal, using a camera lens cap which fitted perfectly and rubber hammer to tap it evenly into place - it should sit about 1 mm below the lip of the retainer - don't hit too hard, take it slow.

    Gently put the sideshaft back into the hole by hand taking care not to damage the new oil seal. Once the splines have mated nicely inside, a solid shove will make the o ring snap back into it's socket. Once it feels secure, reassemble everything in reverse order, torqueing everything nicely.

    Put the drain plug back in the diff and refill with your favourite brand of Hypoid GL-5 gear oil - I use the Ravenol VSG 75w-90 GL-5 oil.

    I bought myself an oil syringe for this job from Ravenol Oil in Observatory ( http://www.ravenol.co.za ), :

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 001 20170813_180519.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	457524

    - these are a bit pricey at around R750, but if you do this fairly often, a fantastic tool for your garage. It basically consists of a 300ml heavy duty syringe with a 700ml - 1000ml expandable reservoir. You fill up the reservoir, and then the syringe draws from that on the back stroke and pumps it out the front tube with the forward stroke - makes filling diffs and transfer boxes a breeze.

    Attachment 457539

    I decided to do my rear diff and transfer case while I was at it, and it made life very easy indeed - highly recommended :-).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 010 20170814_181743.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	457537
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2017/08/15 at 11:41 AM.

    Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:


  7. #386
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanked: 121

    Default Rear transmission Mount Replacement

    I had an issue which was bugging me a bit - I had noticed that when coasting and getting back on the accelerator that there seemed to be a delay in the drivetrain catching up which results in a jerk when it did. I thought this may be due to a loose transfer case chain - but somebody suggested it could be the rear engine mount.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_164110.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	457581
    I ordered in one from Amazon - the FEBEST SZM-018 - cost US$35.07 plus shipping = ZAR900 (Suzuki part ZAR1540).

    I removed the T piece while supporting the transfer case - half undo the bolts on both the left and right sides, and then remove the two bolts in the middle which are attached to the engine mount. Support the T piece on one side and then undo the bolts on the other side, then support the loose side and release the other side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_171806.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	457579

    When removed I could compare the two, and the old one was almost one cm shorter due to compression.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_171150.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	457578
    Take care the mount is made to mount one way - it has an arrow pointing forwards on the side and the cutout at the bottom fits one way on the T piece.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170808_171902.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	457580

    I attached the new one to the transmission and then loosely attached the T piece on both sides. Attached the two bolts from the T piece on to the engine mount and gradually tightened everything up making sure the mount was flush on the T piece.

    The difference is marked - the jerk is gone and application of power after costing is smooth again!
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2017/08/15 at 11:16 AM.

    Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:


  9. #387
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,720
    Thanked: 97

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Nicely done, as always! Glad to see the old girl is keeping you on your toes
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

    True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%
    Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
    Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

    Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

  10. #388
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanked: 121

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Nicely done, as always! Glad to see the old girl is keeping you on your toes
    thank you mate - yes ...married I am

    Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

  11. #389
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    53
    Posts
    78
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    thank you mate - yes ...married I am
    Happily!
    2010 Grand Vitara 2.4 man, Stofpad radiator & belly plates & lift kit, 245/60R17 Firestone Destinations, Tucson rims

  12. #390
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,720
    Thanked: 97

    Default Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Hahaha. Smart

    I was actually in SSW on Thursday last week and I am pretty sure I saw you turning onto the N2 from the R44 near the mall. By the time I realized it may have been you, you were already almost down the on ramp. This the Mrs was with you in the car.
    Last edited by Rivar; 2017/08/14 at 10:51 PM.
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

    True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%
    Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
    Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

    Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

  13. #391
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    52
    Posts
    854
    Thanked: 219

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Like the pump / syringe gadget
    O▮▮▮▮▮O

  14. #392
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanked: 121

    Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Hahaha. Smart

    I was actually in SSW on Thursday last week and I am pretty sure I saw you turning onto the N2 from the R44 near the mall. By the time I realized it may have been you, you were already almost down the on ramp. This the Mrs was with you in the car.
    Bloody imposters ... naaah wasn't me.... happily married to the old girl, I look after her, she looks after me - she's got a bit of a drinking problem, but when she's happy she purrs like a cat, and she loves it when it's wet or dry, as long as we get to explore a bit more .

    We just clicked over 9 years and 150000km .... happy days

    Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

  15. #393
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    587
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Front Axle Seal Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    I noticed that I had a fair bit of oil dripping down from my front diff and on investigation saw that it was leaking from the right side shaft as it goes into the front diff.

    I did a bit of research and it seemed it was possible to remove and replace the seal without having to dismantle the diff ... but there is a retainer on the RHS, and I was not sure if that would have to be removed. Everything that I read and watched pointed to me having to remove the shaft from the wheel stub and the control arm to be able to get it out of the diff - to cut along story short this was NOT necessary, and I wasted a lot of time trying to get the axle nut off...which was damn tight - for nothing!!!

    I did buy a power bar, ball joint separator and 70mm pry bar for the job - I only needed the pry bar.

    Suzuki Oil seal part number S09283-40029-000 R 165-00

    I did not take a lot of pictures as I was under time pressure - but it went like this.

    - Drain the front diff
    - Jack up the front end, support on axle stands and remove the front wheel.
    - remove the brake calliper and tie up securely out of the way

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 004 20170804_175329.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	457529
    - remove the ABS sensor cable from the strut, as well as the support on the body so it is completely loose
    - remove the stabilizer bar link from the strut and move it out of the way
    - remove the strut nuts from the axle and support the disk and knuckle

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 012 20170808_171423.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	551.7 KB 
ID:	457525

    70mm pry bar into action - the right angle piece fits very nicely between the inner CV joint and the diff, and you can pop the shaft out - it has a retaining circular clip inside that needs to be popped out of it's groove.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 002 20170804_175255.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	457530

    You can then move the sideshaft completely out of the diff by hand to expose the gungy mess. Be careful to clean the sidehaft splines nicely and cover them to prevent them picking up dust before the shaft goes back into the diff.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 006 20170804_175350.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	457527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170804_175405.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	457588

    I use a long handled clamp pliers to grasp the metal part of the old oil seal and manipulate it until it popped out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 008 20170804_180403.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	457526


    Cleaned out all the gunk in the hole in the diff,

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 001 20170804_175246.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	395.1 KB 
ID:	457531

    and then inserted the new sideshaft seal, using a camera lens cap which fitted perfectly and rubber hammer to tap it evenly into place - it should sit about 1 mm below the lip of the retainer - don't hit too hard, take it slow.

    Gently put the sideshaft back into the hole by hand taking care not to damage the new oil seal. Once the splines have mated nicely inside, a solid shove will make the o ring snap back into it's socket. Once it feels secure, reassemble everything in reverse order, torqueing everything nicely.

    Put the drain plug back in the diff and refill with your favourite brand of Hypoid GL-5 gear oil - I use the Ravenol VSG 75w-90 GL-5 oil.

    I bought myself an oil syringe for this job from Ravenol Oil in Observatory ( http://www.ravenol.co.za ), :

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 001 20170813_180519.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	457524

    - these are a bit pricey at around R750, but if you do this fairly often, a fantastic tool for your garage. It basically consists of a 300ml heavy duty syringe with a 700ml - 1000ml expandable reservoir. You fill up the reservoir, and then the syringe draws from that on the back stroke and pumps it out the front tube with the forward stroke - makes filling diffs and transfer boxes a breeze.

    Attachment 457539

    I decided to do my rear diff and transfer case while I was at it, and it made life very easy indeed - highly recommended :-).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suzuki 010 20170814_181743.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	457537
    Now, where in Pretoria can one buy that pump-magafter??


  16. #394
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,510
    Thanked: 121

    Default Re: Front Axle Seal Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Now, where in Pretoria can one buy that pump-magafter??
    Johan - they do deliver nationwide - contact Freddi at Ravenol

    Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:


  18. #395
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria Oos - Garsfontein
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,843
    Thanked: 87

    Default Re: Front Axle Seal Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Johan - they do deliver nationwide - contact Freddi at Ravenol
    I didn't know about the syringe pump...

    So I did the next best thing. I took an empty shampoo bottle that had a hand pump on
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shampoo bottel.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	457690
    Washed it out, let it dry, attached a long 5mm see through tube and filled it with 1lt diff oil. Bit slow but for ~R70 it is a great solution
    2008 Suzuki Jimny - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers



  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samaya For This Useful Post:


  20. #396
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    587
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Front Axle Seal Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    Johan - they do deliver nationwide - contact Freddi at Ravenol
    I really like the concept that you can visibly, measure the quantity of oil, instead of waiting for the overflow.

    Thanks Dave, will follow up on your advise!


Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Similar Threads

  1. Suzuki SX4 AWD Modifications
    By Zenbaas in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 2015/04/23, 06:27 PM
  2. Suzuki Samurai basic modifications
    By Simon_Africa in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2013/12/04, 03:53 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2010/05/06, 07:33 PM
  4. SA Women vote Suzuki Jimny Tops
    By Sawdust in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2009/10/16, 10:43 AM
  5. Suzuki Club Western Cape Inaugural Gathering
    By ATOMIC77 in forum Suzuki
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2009/09/04, 07:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •